October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Want to test my roll and write game?

More
29 Apr 2019 14:54 - 29 Apr 2019 14:57 #296251 by mads b.
Once upon a time I made a small PnP dice game about zombies. I return to it every now and then, and this time I've tried to turn it into a roll and write - rumor has it they are very popular. It's not deep or complicated, but I hope it's a short, fun dice chucker for one person.

It's not ready to be shared with the entire world yet (and it's certainly not balanced), but it is ready to be tested a bit - mainly to see if it is in any way fun or not. So if you want to give it a quick spin and leave a comment all you need is six dice (two black and four white), a print of the attached pdf and a pencil. And don't hold back if you comment. Sometimes these kinds of games can be fun to play for me because I enjoy that it works on a mechanical level, but that doesn't necessarily translate into "fun to play".

THE RULES:
The goal of the game is to get to the second safe house without running out of time or being overrun by zombies. If you reach the second safe house, you win. If you ever run out of time or fill out the last zombie space, you lose the game.

Your dice:
White dice are primarily used for moving and fighting.
Black dice are primarily used for searching and fighting.

A round:
Each round you roll the dice three times. Each time you have rolled, you lock and spend one die.

Rolling dice:
- All 1s are zombies. They are locked and put aside.
- You may spend a reroll (gained by searching) to reroll all the dice just rolled. This includes dice showing 1. You cannot reroll dice that have been put aside on a previous roll.
- When you have spent three dice, end the round.
- If you cannot spend a die, lose one time and end the round.

Spending a die:
- When you move or search, cross of the next square or write the number of the die used in the space.
- The kind of die you have to use to fill out a square depends on the colour. Thick black borders require black dice, slim borders require white dice and for squares that are half black and half white you can use both.
- If you fill out the last square in a search (in either the search area of the sheet or along the route), you immediately get the ability shown after the arrow (see below).
- Some spaces have a higher than, lower than or equal to symbol next to them. They show what number you have to use in relation to the one used before.
- In order to move to a space with a zombie (biohazard symbol), you must use a six (black or white).
- If a row of zombies has been filled out, you have to fight the zombie in the red square before you can continue your journey. You can still search, though.
- Some searches can only be made as long as you are on a certain space of the journey.
- If you use a die to reach a safe house space, end the round. You do not lose time.

Ending a round:
When ending a round do the following:
- if at least one white 2 is showing, lose one time. This can be in addition to having lost time because you couldn’t spend a die.
- For each 1, cross of a zombie square. If you reach the end of a row, do not continue to the next row until next round.
- If you’ve reached a safe house, from now on you use the next safe house row to track time.

Search and abilities:
By searching you gain items which grant abilities. They can be used at any time and you cross them off after use. The three different abilities are:

6 – use to fight a zombie. You can use it to fight one of the zombies in the red squares or to move to a space with a zombie on it.
Round arrow – Reroll. Reroll all the dice just rolled. This includes any dice showing 1.
Lock – Spend (lock) an extra die from the roll just made.
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2019 14:57 by mads b.. Reason: Spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2019 18:27 #296262 by WadeMonnig
I printed it out. I'll try to check it out in the next couple of days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds