October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What PURCHASES are you RESISTING?

More
21 Jul 2019 19:14 #299906 by mc
Yes, now that you mention it I remember reading that was happening. Makes sense.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2019 13:53 - 23 Jul 2019 13:53 #299966 by dysjunct
What BOARD GAME HERESY are you COMMITTING?

I just put FFG Cosmic Encounter and the first three expansions up on eBay. It's always been kind of fun for me, but never turned into the riotous occasions of pure joy that everyone else seems to experience.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2019 13:53 by dysjunct.

More
23 Jul 2019 17:05 #299974 by quozl
New thread!

More
23 Jul 2019 17:21 #299975 by dysjunct
Are there enough heresies* to justify it?

I figured it could go here in the general spirit of anti-consumerism and having games just to have them, or because they're critically-acclaimed, highly regarded, etc.

*Henotheism doesn't count.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
23 Jul 2019 17:22 #299976 by quozl
I'm sure everyone has at least one gaming heresy.

More
21 Oct 2019 17:18 #302627 by dysjunct
Reaper Bones Kickstarter

I always think how cool it would be to have a bunch of sweet minis, to do a D&D campaign that's completely over the top with terrain and all the fixins.

But I'd never paint them and then I'd have a bunch of grey blobs that no one cares about.

Disney +

I think it would be pretty cool to have access to most of the Marvel and Star Wars stuff, in addition to the deep library of classic stuff. However , I don't need more reasons to watch TV.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, BillyBobThwarton

More
21 Oct 2019 17:51 #302630 by n815e
I keep flipping back and forth on Joan of Arc.

It’s expensive, it’s got teething problems, the number of scenarios per costly expansion are limited, the gameplay is too fantastical to be historical, I don’t need another thousand miniatures to paint, it takes forever to set up, I don’t play with all the games I already own...

But... it looks like great fun, I imagine my kid will get a kick out of it, the same team developed Mythic Battles and that is awesome, who doesn’t like knights and castles and dragons?, it’s got some history to go with the fantasy, it’s got lots of Medieval Christian mythology (not many games touch this), the models look lovely, it’s a board-miniatures hybrid (which I’m leaning much more into lately)...

More
21 Oct 2019 18:10 #302632 by Erik Twice
I'm trying to bid my time until I can buy Roads & Boats.

Here's the thing, it's a great game that really appeals to me. The whole picking up resources and transforming them into other resources seems like the kind of thing I hate, but I love the logistics of it. Transport Tycoon is one of my favourite games and the similarities should speak for themselves. But it's 100$. Ouch.

I'm also on the fence regarding Civilization, the Tresham game. It's a game I want to own eventually but I'm not sure whether to find a cheap copy of the Spanish version, get the new edition despite the old-fashioned components and/or make my own copy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Oct 2019 14:10 #302749 by Joebot

dysjunct wrote: Reaper Bones Kickstarter

I always think how cool it would be to have a bunch of sweet minis, to do a D&D campaign that's completely over the top with terrain and all the fixins.

But I'd never paint them and then I'd have a bunch of grey blobs that no one cares about.

Disney +

I think it would be pretty cool to have access to most of the Marvel and Star Wars stuff, in addition to the deep library of classic stuff. However , I don't need more reasons to watch TV.

Nice work! I failed my saving throw on both of those. I don't even play D&D or any other mini-based game, and I'm in on the Reaper Kickstarter. I just like painting minis.

As for Disney+ ... I already warned the family that Netflix is getting cancelled at the end of the month (following the conclusion of the Great British Baking Show of course; I'm not a monster), and we're switching over to Disney+.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
25 Oct 2019 08:20 #302762 by Legomancer
Torn on the High Frontier 4 KS. I'd like to own HF, and this seems like the version to get, but I don't know how often it would get played, my friend has 2e, and it's money to Phil Eklund. On the other hand, if I decide to get rid of it later, it seems like I won't have any trouble recouping my money.

What's worse is, it's at $60. If it was $40, no problem, I'd get it. $80 or $100, no way, I'd pass. $60 is just cruel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Oct 2019 08:52 #302765 by the_jake_1973
I'm resisting the purchase of a resin 3d printer, but the Anycubic is very tempting. I resisted the latest Bones kickstarter since most of the core is kinda pants. I'll likely but the some add-ons like the war mammoth.

More
25 Oct 2019 10:56 #302778 by Legomancer

Legomancer wrote: Torn on the High Frontier 4 KS. I'd like to own HF, and this seems like the version to get, but I don't know how often it would get played, my friend has 2e, and it's money to Phil Eklund. On the other hand, if I decide to get rid of it later, it seems like I won't have any trouble recouping my money.

What's worse is, it's at $60. If it was $40, no problem, I'd get it. $80 or $100, no way, I'd pass. $60 is just cruel.

Aaaaaand just saw that shipping is an extra $20.

Purchase.....resisted!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, BillyBobThwarton

More
25 Oct 2019 11:22 #302779 by Michael Barnes
I keep resisting Undaunted...the rules look amazing and it fits right into my wheelhouse...EXCEPT I’d rather play a game about the history of denim than anything to do with WWII.

More
25 Oct 2019 11:37 #302780 by Josh Look
FWIW, I’m in the same boat. I really have no interest in playing WWII games, but Undaunted is terrific.

More
25 Oct 2019 11:37 #302781 by ubarose

Michael Barnes wrote: I keep resisting Undaunted...the rules look amazing and it fits right into my wheelhouse...EXCEPT I’d rather play a game about the history of denim than anything to do with WWII.

I don't know Michael, the history of denim is the history of indigo and cotton which is pretty fraught and depressing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, drewcula

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.588 seconds