October 09, 2023
2219 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG Announces New Expansions & Games

More
30 Jul 2020 10:54 #312599 by Ah_Pook
This probably deserves it's own thread but whatever, here's the new Descent game that got teased. No particulars yet.

It's right at the end.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, ecargo, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2020 11:30 #312600 by jpat
Heh. I think guy just said that the two $99 starters for the Armada Clone Wars sets were "affordable."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike, n815e

More
30 Jul 2020 11:51 #312602 by Michael Barnes
WTF, lets take a game that has more or less failed and relaunch it in a new product line spearheaded by TWO $100 starter sets, neither of which support two players.

Meanwhile, Armada stuff has been on deep discount and clearance for years.

What a fucking disaster FFG has become. I was just thinking back to not that long ago when they were the industry leaders and everyone looked to what they were doing. Now they are just about the bottom of the barrel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mezike

More
30 Jul 2020 12:39 #312612 by Gary Sax
Made a new topic. I have thoughts but I need to sit with them, I'll probably post them later.

TLDR: this is a publically owned company with a board expecting dividends, and many of their choices make more sense in this light!

More
30 Jul 2020 12:50 #312614 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: TLDR: this is a publically owned company with a board expecting dividends, and many of their choices make more sense in this light!

I believe "same quarter last year" is one of the phrases you'll be hunting for in your bigger response.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, themothman421, mezike

More
30 Jul 2020 13:05 #312615 by Ah_Pook
I'm not interested in a 1 v Many game or an app run game, so I think the odds of the new Descent being something I actually care about are basically nil. Still, I'm curious to see what it is going to be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
30 Jul 2020 13:09 #312616 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: Made a new topic. I have thoughts but I need to sit with them, I'll probably post them later.

TLDR: this is a publically owned company with a board expecting dividends, and many of their choices make more sense in this light!

I think it's worse than that. A publicly-traded company is doomed to a perpetual focus on impressing shareholders every three months, either with increasing sales, cost cutting, or both. I believe Asmodee is actually now owned by a venture capital firm that bought out the previous venture capital firm ownership of Asmodee for $1.2 billion in 2018. A typical venture capital firm buys a company with the intention of maximizing any possible business advantages for a few years, with the intention of selling the company again for a multiple at a specific time in the future. For example, a venture capital firm might buy a company for say $1.2 billion with the intention of selling it five years later for $3 billion. This would certainly explain why Asmodee has been firing so many employees, and only replacing some of them, often with inexpensive recent college graduates. It would also explain why they are ruthlessly killing off some product lines and then going over the top with expansions and new editions for other products.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
30 Jul 2020 13:16 #312617 by mezike

Michael Barnes wrote: WTF, lets take a game that has more or less failed and relaunch it in a new product line spearheaded by TWO $100 starter sets, neither of which support two players.

...and for bonus points let's set it in the prequels, the least marketable part of the franchise. Or is this a sign that kids who grew up on the prequels are now the disposable-income targets for projects such as this? I've never felt so... obsolete. But in a good way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Jackwraith

More
30 Jul 2020 13:30 #312618 by Jackwraith

Gary Sax wrote: Made a new topic. I have thoughts but I need to sit with them, I'll probably post them later.

I was wondering: "How is my old thread back at the top of the forum with only 6 or 7 replies? We argued about that one for days!"

I was roundly unimpressed with the synopsis that I read. It's basically all collectible games which I just won't do anymore. It's also all licensed stuff except for Keyforge. I've known that I'm not the target audience for FFG any longer for quite some time, even if they try to tease a new Descent, but this just puts the stake in me as a fan. Eh. Whatevs. Many, many other publishers and games out there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
30 Jul 2020 14:17 #312620 by jpat
I don't object to the prequel-era stuff inherently. I think that some people on here might be underestimating the popularity of Clone Wars, etc., but it's also partly, as was suggested, that the prequel kids are aging in. My stepson grew up on the prequels and is 20 now (though he's not buying this stuff, and 20's on the low end of Armada levels of disposal income). And there was quite a bit of interest in the Clone Wars-era sourcebooks for the FFG RPG, although the interest may have been artificially heightened by the fact that they dropped about when FFG proper dumping (actually transferring) the line created at least short-term scarcity (and the SW RPG products are only in print, not PDF).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jul 2020 14:24 #312621 by jpat
When you open the new Descent box, Gloomhaven pops out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Rliyen, RobertB, san il defanso, sornars, ecargo

More
30 Jul 2020 14:33 #312622 by Michael Barnes
That is hilarious. And if they actually want to sell it, that would be the best bet.

More
30 Jul 2020 14:52 #312623 by dysjunct
Is this a result of Petersen's departure, or was it on this trajectory and he just got out at the right time?

More
30 Jul 2020 15:02 - 30 Jul 2020 15:03 #312626 by Sagrilarus

dysjunct wrote: Is this a result of Petersen's departure, or was it on this trajectory and he just got out at the right time?

Privately-owned companies can be much more patient regarding return on investment. FFG will get four minutes and six powerpoint slides in a board meeting (via con call) where they have to justify their existence based on revenue and materials "in the pipeline". So they have a need to keep releasing product whether it's ready or not.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2020 15:03 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
30 Jul 2020 15:10 #312629 by Shellhead
Another problem with Asmodee these days is language. The venture capitalists and Asmodee are based in France. Fantasy Flight and the other game studios share a large facility in Minnesota with Asmodee North America. But a small satellite office in Montreal is now managing the entire Minnesota location remotely, because the Montreal employees all speak French.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds