October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Talk to me about Warhammer 40K

More
21 Apr 2008 02:43 #5191 by Lagduf
Anyone actually play 4th ed Orks?

The hard part about putting my figs together is that i've only read the rules, so i'm not really sure what wargear I should give my Boyz. I mean I understand how it all works, but knowing the rules and seeing how things play out is another story.

I opted to give my Trukk Boyz Mob Choppas and Sluggas so they can use the truck to quickly engage in close combat. One Trukk Boy is carrying a Rokkit Launcha and another is a Nob with a Big Choppa (all evil Sunz clan).

I made my other Mob 'Ard Boys and gave them all Shootas. I also made one boy a Nob and gave him the Big Shoota. I figured since the 'Ard Boyz don't have a Trukk (yet) that they'll have to walk across the battlefield. Shootas will give them better range than Sluggas and allow them to fire more in the shooting phase. Plus their armor will give them a 4+ save (while the Trukk Boyz have a sorry 6+). The 'ard boyz will be from the Blood Axes Clan.

And then i've got my Warbikerz. Not a whole lot i could do with those - just upgraded one Biker to a Nob and gave him a Big Choppa. Evil Sunz clan again (red bikes!).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2008 10:13 #5198 by VonTush
Lagduf wrote:

The hard part about putting my figs together is that i've only read the rules, so i'm not really sure what wargear I should give my Boyz. I mean I understand how it all works, but knowing the rules and seeing how things play out is another story.

I haven't played 4th Ed 40k at all (my playing fizzled out just before the new book) so I haven't played or seen the Orks in action with the new ed so I can't comment much regarding the specific choices.

One pitfall that I've seen many people fall into is paying too much in wargear. What I've seen is with a swarm army such as the orks, people spend too many points which decreases the model count and decreases how effective the army could be. So my main advice would be to stick with the cheapest wargear that you can. So if it comes down to outfitting three squads of 20 with higher strength guns or getting an additional squad of 20 I'd pick the additional squad for the models. Orks aren't a shooty army so you want pure numbers rushing ahead to engage in hand-to-hand.

More
21 Apr 2008 12:37 #5202 by Lagduf
LordVonTush wrote:

Lagduf wrote:

I haven't played 4th Ed 40k at all (my playing fizzled out just before the new book) so I haven't played or seen the Orks in action with the new ed so I can't comment much regarding the specific choices.

One pitfall that I've seen many people fall into is paying too much in wargear. What I've seen is with a swarm army such as the orks, people spend too many points which decreases the model count and decreases how effective the army could be. So my main advice would be to stick with the cheapest wargear that you can. So if it comes down to outfitting three squads of 20 with higher strength guns or getting an additional squad of 20 I'd pick the additional squad for the models. Orks aren't a shooty army so you want pure numbers rushing ahead to engage in hand-to-hand.

That definitely makes sense. I plan to utilize as many Boyz as I can get my hands on. Of course I need to get my first batch of 20 Boyz painted up before I purchase some more.

It seems Orcs are pretty kick ass once you get really large Mobs.

Right now I only have 20 Boyz. The only reason I decided to break them in to two groups of 10 is that the Trukk can only carry 12 Boyz and the minimum Ork Boyz Mob size is 12 models.

More
21 Apr 2008 12:46 #5204 by VonTush
metalface13 wrote:

GW should totally bring Squats back.

For sure they should...but I was reading an interview with either Jervis or Andy at GW and it was talking about the Squats and their future...which sadly there is none.

What it boiled down to was the Squats work exceptional in Epic size because the bulk of their force are the Overlord Airships; Land Trains; Cyclopse...etc. All things which would take up the entire table in 40k scale.

If they brought them to 40k all there would be is different foot troops and bikes...which would lead to a pretty bland army for 40k. Since 40k is GW's bread and butter and Epic: Armageddon hasn't been finished since its release many years ago the chances are nil sadly to see a Squat resurgence.

More
23 Apr 2008 01:31 #5275 by metalface13
I'm sure they could come up with new unit and vehicle types that would work well in the 40k setting. Hell, they make up whole new races like Necros. I think they could squeeze out a little imagination for Squats.

Not that I play the game anymore anyway.

More
23 Apr 2008 20:14 #5314 by Citadel
Squats were the first 40K army I played. Then they disappeared in second edition. There seemed to be a change from them being hairy bikers mixed with some kind of clanish style to the Viking style in Space Marine. There was a picture of a Vikingish squat in the second ed. rulebook but it never materialised. They were a terribly weak army in 1st edition. Really like a bad joke but I loved the style. Apparently, the designers hated them and never thought they fit in the 41st millenium. I think they fit less in 2nd edition because a lot of the cyberpunky elements were getting removed. It was pure war from then on.

More
09 May 2008 00:13 #6123 by hancock.tom
Lag, the Orcs are a good choice as they have a new codex coming out with very good rules in it. HOWEVER, they are an expensive army. One orc = 6 points. One space marive = 15. That means you are buying twice as many orcs for the same size battles. IG is also not a cheap army.

As a 40k veteran playing from 2nd ed on up, my advice is not to get into the game unless you can drop at least 3-400 initially and a lot of time to paint, etc.

Honestly the gameplay of 40k isn't much. Its beer and pretzels dice throwing and the underlying game has incredibly bad balance issues. Its an expensive and time consuming hobby, and with the gameplay being mediocre the reason you do it is because you love to paint the miniatures and read the stories, etc.

If you don't see yourself getting into the hobbyist aspect as opposed to looking at it solely as a game, I would avoid it like the plague... and you are talking to someone who has been playing this game since age 12.

If you are still interested PM me and I will look up what is in the orc battleforce and calculate the points totals for you.

More
19 May 2008 13:02 #6683 by jeb
Here ye, here ye, I hereby nominate "Katherine" as an honorary member of the Fortress: Ameritrash throng. She may not know we exist, but she will always be welcomed here. Witness her work!

The Hello Kitty Warhammer 40k Army .

More
27 May 2008 08:42 #7108 by hancock.tom
5th edition is coming out next month and looks like it will really help a lot of the balance issues in the game.

More
27 May 2008 09:22 #7111 by Count Orlok
hancock.tom wrote:

5th edition is coming out next month and looks like it will really help a lot of the balance issues in the game.

For now. Then they'll begin releasing army books and it'll be fucked until 6th edition.

More
27 May 2008 23:03 #7176 by hancock.tom
Count Orlok wrote:

hancock.tom wrote:

For now. Then they'll begin releasing army books and it'll be fucked until 6th edition.

Maybe I'm a hopeless optimist, but I think some of the major fixes in 5th are going to really help the game. For one thing, only troops will be scoring units. That means if they just balance the troop types the game should be a lot closer to being balanced. When you cut out 80% of the hard work in making the game balanced, thats a big step no matter how bad you screw up the army books. Making troops the only scoring unit takes the single biggest problem the game has (cheese armies full of cheese units) and makes them a much less viable option.

Only time will tell... but I think the rules develop for the game is moving in the right direction for the first time since before they let Pete Haines' dumb ass near the rules.

More
28 May 2008 00:07 #7184 by Lagduf
Eh, i'm buying 5th ed rulebook, the starter set (sept), and the new Space Marine codex once they all come out.

I just like painting and building the stupid models.

More
24 Jul 2008 21:56 #9058 by Mr.Boilerplate
Pretty much everything that I was going to say was said. The best advice I think is to pace yourself and finish things before getting more. I never paced myself, never have gotten a painted army finished, and just bought and stockpiled until I had spend lots of money, and time with little reward. So pace yourself and be able to lay out a nice looking army on the table, and have some fun watching the carnage unfold.

As people said Orcs can be expensive as you need alot of boyz. I myself have a small contingent of Orcs that Im looking to get rid of. I think I have about 40 boyz and grots, and big guns and trukks and other things, that Id be willing to part with. Reading this, it seems like it might be a good way for you to add alot of meat for really cheap, as my main concern at the moment is clearing out what I have in stock. Some of them are painted, and alot are primed. Let me know if that interests you at all.

More
16 Aug 2008 01:45 #10178 by milgate
Lagduf wrote:

Eh, i'm buying 5th ed rulebook, the starter set (sept), and the new Space Marine codex once they all come out.

I just like painting and building the stupid models.

As you've no doubt noticed, that new starter set actually has a good number of Orks for the money. And, if past experience holds, the Ork sprues will be available on eBay for decent prices.

More
20 Aug 2008 11:43 #10325 by Lagduf
I have about 1500 points of Orks now. Buying and working on unit at a time really was a good idea, although I did make a bulk purchase of basically the second half of my army to save some cash (ordered from the Warstore).

So now I have primed, but unpainted models around but i've been setting monthly goals (over at DakkaDakka.com they have a monthly goals thread) and this works really well as it gives me some realistic expectations to set.

It's been a fun challenge and i've got the 5th ed rulebook, and I have preordered the Assault on Black Reach starter from my FLGS.

I would ultimately only reccomend 40K for those interested in the hobby side of the game, because there is simply too much work to be done to only like playing it as a game. You have to enjoy the modeling and painting, which I do.

I still think GW needs to release more legit Hobby Boardgames, like BLOOD BOWL (which I did buy actually) that only require minimal prep to play the game).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.637 seconds