October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Announcing Cult of the Old

More
29 Mar 2023 04:27 #338806 by san il defanso
It's been a while since I've been able to contribute to the flow of content on this site, but that's only because I can't really contribute to the discourse on new games very well. So in working with Iain and Matt, we thought the best solution was to just talk about old games instead.

We started a podcast called Cult of the Old, where we talk about games that are at least a decade old. What was their impact? Are they still worth playing? How are our accents different?

Anyway, our first episode is now live on our feed. We talked about Agricola, and even though it's a little first-episodey, I really liked it. It's also live on Spotify, and we are working on getting it on Apple Podcasts too. (It's a whole thing.)

Cult of the Old

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2023 13:18 #338811 by DarthJoJo
Really enjoyed it. Not everything is going to be the titan that is Agricola, but to be reminded of what gaming was like even a decade back and what things like 300 cards and Franz Klemens art meant was pretty great.

Hope you can keep finding games worthy of the discussion and looking forward to the next one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
29 Mar 2023 13:24 #338812 by san il defanso
We actually recorded our whole first season already! So if you all hate it, then we can't do anything about it on the fly.

Actually, I think we did a pretty good job at finding games that are a big deal. Certainly our rapport as co-hosts has only gotten better, and we have a lot of titans to talk about still.
The following user(s) said Thank You: trif, DarthJoJo

More
29 Mar 2023 19:36 #338815 by Sagrilarus
I am on this like a cheap suit.

Let me know if you want to cross-pollenate.

More
29 Mar 2023 23:35 #338819 by trif
Replied by trif on topic Announcing Cult of the Old
Sounds like exactly my kind of thing. Subscribed.

More
31 Mar 2023 11:07 - 31 Mar 2023 11:08 #338839 by thegiantbrain
Thanks for all the kind words folks. It was really interesting working on a season format as oppose to the more rolling focus that Brainwaves has. Should be on There Will be Games soon.

I've got all the issues sorted so you should be able to find it in most podcast places (though google podcasts is being weird now)
Last edit: 31 Mar 2023 11:08 by thegiantbrain.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
01 Apr 2023 07:03 #338842 by Virabhadra
Oh cool, a podcast about the games I play! Followed.

On the subject, Hill's Wholesale Gaming has been my go-to for copies of Magical Athlete for years and they've had the same motley assortment of older Z-Man and IDW titles forever. Any hidden gems?

wholesalegaming.biz/boardgame/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
01 Apr 2023 13:17 #338845 by hotseatgames
TMNT is a banger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
01 Apr 2023 15:35 #338848 by Jackwraith
Vira, yer a god and not just because you're an aspect of Shiva. Been looking for a reasonably-priced copy of Magical Athlete for some time and snagged their last one from this link. Thanks!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

More
01 Apr 2023 15:39 #338849 by Jackwraith
Also, on topic, I use an offbeat app called PodcastGuru and I'm not sure where they pull their library from. I found Sag and Co.'s Games from the Cellar, but so far it's giving me a 404 when I look for Cult of the Old. Will keep trying, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
01 Apr 2023 21:29 #338856 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Announcing Cult of the Old

Virabhadra wrote: Oh cool, a podcast about the games I play! Followed.

On the subject, Hill's Wholesale Gaming has been my go-to for copies of Magical Athlete for years and they've had the same motley assortment of older Z-Man and IDW titles forever. Any hidden gems?

wholesalegaming.biz/boardgame/

Fire and Axe is pretty good. Its Second Edition was going for an arm and a leg for a while.

More
02 Apr 2023 04:37 #338860 by thegiantbrain
It sometimes takes a while for every cast distributor to pick up a podcast. By the time episode 2 goes out that should all be sorted.

More
02 Apr 2023 04:56 #338861 by thegiantbrain
We are now on Google Podcasts! That should be the cast everywhere within the next week or so. If its not let me know and I can investigate.

I would like to ask a favour as well. If you have liked the cast, leaving us a review on your podcast app of choice, especially iTunes, is very helpful to us for discovery. Podcast discovery is awful so any shares on socials and the like are very much appreciated as well.

Episode 2 will be in just over a weeks time. It's a monster!

More
02 Apr 2023 07:29 #338862 by Cappster_

thegiantbrain wrote: We are now on Google Podcasts! That should be the cast everywhere within the next week or so. If its not let me know and I can investigate.

I would like to ask a favour as well. If you have liked the cast, leaving us a review on your podcast app of choice, especially iTunes, is very helpful to us for discovery. Podcast discovery is awful so any shares on socials and the like are very much appreciated as well.

Episode 2 will be in just over a weeks time. It's a monster!

Google took to the longest to populate, by far.

I also noticed that some of the pod catchers that use the iTunes index took a week or two to pull the RSS initially, but once they did there wasn't an lag going forward.

In the future (because it sounds like the issue is resolved) if your pod app is 404ing or you're unable to search for a title, if you have a link to the RSS you should be able to use it to access the show manually.

More
02 Apr 2023 11:52 #338866 by thegiantbrain
The main issue with itunes was image size! I had to make it higher res then get podbean and itunes to refresh the feed. After that everything was fine.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds