October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - War Of The Ring vs SW: Queens Gambit

More
23 Mar 2009 13:40 #24168 by Notahandle
Glad to see so many votes for WotR. Which one of you SW:QG haters will send me a copy?
Which translates to my vote being abstain because I've played neither (and only want to get one of the two). Yeah, I'm in a bloody Ameritrash-player wasteland!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2009 14:15 #24177 by southernman
I am one lucky fuck as I own both of these and have played them both recently. I also have other boardgames/minis from both franchises so am an obvious fan of both. I am just preparing a parcel for MadDog that may be a bit loud for the neighbours when he opens it ..... got his address Ken ?

Components: - KO for SW:TQG (freakin awesome)

Theme Adoption: - Draw. I think both games have done a good job on this front.

Mechanics:
- I like the four different battles and the great dice in SW:TQG, but WotR has the great action dice system combined with assymetric game play. Points to WotR.

Enjoyment
(Heaviest Weighting):

Fun - Both are fun in their own way, OK, direct conflict and killing things may have SW:TQG a whisker ahead.

Replayability - WotR as I can see I would get a bit sick of SW:TQG if I played it half a dozen times over a short period, while I just can't see that happening with WotR.

Tension - WotR well in front.

That 'Incredible Game' Feeling at the End
- WotR well in front again.

Vote: War of the Ring
- it just gives me the better feeling during and after a game. Plus I am lukewarm over the 'Anakin in his starfighter' bit, I realise it is there as a timer mainly but it just misses the mark.

More
23 Mar 2009 14:16 #24178 by southernman
Notahandle wrote:

Glad to see so many votes for WotR. Which one of you SW:QG haters will send me a copy?
Which translates to my vote being abstain because I've played neither (and only want to get one of the two). Yeah, I'm in a bloody Ameritrash-player wasteland!

I'm just up the train tracks Adrian .... :-p

More
23 Mar 2009 14:21 - 23 Mar 2009 14:27 #24180 by Almalik
I'd never turn down either game, but if I had to vote I'd go with WotR. It's tough not to vote for QG, especially when I think fondly of the games where Maul has made it out of the Core and gone rampaging through the palace.

I really think there should have been some March Madness type seeding for these matches.

Edit: Nuts, thinking about these two makes me want to play QG more than WotR right at this moment, so I'm changing my vote to Queen's Gambit (and I'm gonna bust it out with a friend tonight after work).
Last edit: 23 Mar 2009 14:27 by Almalik.

More
23 Mar 2009 14:50 #24186 by Million Dollar Mimring
The only thing I really dislike about QC is the Anakin mechanic. It just feels really bland. I've only played WotR once and don't fully understand, or remember, everything about the game.

I'll go with QC.

More
23 Mar 2009 15:31 #24191 by Octavian
Hate repeating the chorus, but this really is a tough one.

Both are great fun. I'm going with Star Wars because I have it and others don't, thus making it more awesome.

More
23 Mar 2009 15:38 #24192 by clockwirk
JoelCFC25 wrote:

I doubt I'll ever get a chance to play SW:QG, which is a shame.

You're around Minneapolis, right? I've got a copy of SW:TQG that I haven't gotten played yet. Give me a pm & we'll hook it up.

Vote: War of the Ring

More
23 Mar 2009 15:39 #24193 by JoelCFC25
clockwirk wrote:

You're around Minneapolis, right? I've got a copy of SW:TQG that I haven't gotten played yet. Give me a pm & we'll hook it up.

Tiiiiiiiiiiight.

Yeah, St Louis Park...and you owe me, I sent you free C&C:A wooden dice!

More
23 Mar 2009 18:11 #24230 by Notahandle
Southernman wrote:
"I'm just up the train tracks Adrian .... :-p"
TM sent.

More
23 Mar 2009 19:47 #24247 by Bulwyf
I love both but I'm going to go with SW:tQG. All because my wife and my oldest boy love playing the game and it sees far more action than WotR.

-Will

More
23 Mar 2009 21:54 #24267 by clockwirk
JoelCFC25 wrote:

clockwirk wrote:

Tiiiiiiiiiiight.

Yeah, St Louis Park...and you owe me, I sent you free C&C:A wooden dice!

Yes, you did. And thanks again.
I'll check over those meetup dates and get back to you. I'm actually a member with that group, but I rarely make it to a session since I have 2 small kids and my wife works quite a bit.

More
24 Mar 2009 09:45 #24318 by Columbob
Octavian wrote:

I'm going with Star Wars because I have it and others don't, thus making it more awesome.

Aaaah, going for the snob angle. Nice.

More
24 Mar 2009 11:59 #24339 by Octavian
It's the only angle I know.

More
24 Mar 2009 18:08 #24417 by moofrank
Easy. War of the Ring.

Aside from the fact that Star Wars is painful, overhyped, and I'd really like to set fire to its fanbase...

Queen's Gambit is interesting, but seem oddly buggy. Especially when you consider that the object of one player is to stall and run out the timer.

More
24 Mar 2009 18:48 #24426 by Stonecutter
Michael Barnes wrote:

Yeah, that may be the case...QG was from 2000, and it really wasn't available for that long. It's not outrageously expensive, but I'd not be surprised to see it fetching $300+ in the next 5-10 years. A reprint is almost impossible.

But the question is, is it worth $150, cause that seems to be the going rate right now.

Given your latest column, I'm guessing the answer is no...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.516 seconds