October 09, 2023
2628 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2819 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Fury Of Dracula VS Last Night On Earth

More
17 Sep 2009 11:40 #41726 by NeonPeon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2009 11:46 #41727 by Pat II
We could treally use a new spin on "The Serpent and the Rainbow" type story where Zombies really originate. There lie story lines that could really make some creepy sense. I'd include the mindaltering mindfucking journeys that peole are subjected to and what "lies on the other side waiting".

Interesting enough the classic Luci Fulci's Zombie uses this to great effect. I'm not a big fan of the "Military experiment gone wrong" plot but prefer a more evil/nasty spirit world approach myself.

More
17 Sep 2009 11:55 #41729 by Almalik
Last Night on Earth is .....ok, in a turn your brain off and roll dice kind of way. Unlike some people I have no issues with the graphic style they went with, as it fits the B movie theme.

Fury is a great game. With the wrong group it might play a bit slow (we try and play fairly quickly), and yeah you get the odd game where the cards break a certain way and Drac gets in trouble quickly, but we find that most times we get a pretty exciting hunt happening.

VOTE: FoD

More
17 Sep 2009 12:03 - 17 Sep 2009 17:09 #41731 by mjl1783
LNoE is pretty much what it would be like if that dude from The Fly was testing his teleporter on a pile of garbage, but before he could push the button, the janitor came in and threw a bucket of raw sewage and a copy of the latest issue of Maxim magazine into the pod. Despite having tits, the only really interesting thing about it is arguing with your friend over whether it should be thrown out or flushed.

No, on second thought, it's the fucking Jerry Falwell of Ameritrash; an embarassing caricature of a movement which embraces every single legitimate criticism its detractors have ever leveled against it. Seriously, if some hardcore Eurosnoot were to design an AT game for the sole purpose of satirizing how stupid and sophomoric AT games can be, that game would be LNoE.

Sorry, but as far as I'm concerned, Flying Frog can kiss my ass. I find the fact that they'd assume I'm too retarded to notice their piece of shit game is actually the cobbled-together remains of two other piece of shit games (because I was too busy staring at pictures of tits, or possbily rocking out to that AWESOME CD) a little insulting, and so the fuck should all of you, for that matter.

Vote: FoD
Last edit: 17 Sep 2009 17:09 by mjl1783.

More
17 Sep 2009 12:25 #41734 by Michael Barnes
BOOSH, MJ has delivered a headshot with that one!

Fulci's zombie concept was always more of a spooky, supernatural thing rather than the military/industrial/cosmic/science accident thing. CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD and of course THE BEYOND really brings that home- the undead in those films are more tied to mysticism and the occult. They're very grim and not at all full of "cheesy" shit like hillbillies and kung fu cheerleaders.

More
17 Sep 2009 12:32 #41737 by Pat II
I opened my new LNOE box last night and I have to say it has nice tits...I meant bits.

More
17 Sep 2009 13:14 #41744 by metalface13

On to pirates, ninjas, and zombies. Those are three things that have jumped the shark so hard and so far that I'd be OK with no game ever featuring any of them again.

But we have yet to see a defining pirate or ninja board game. I could care less about a ninja game, but I've yet to play a pirate game that feels like being a pirate: Attacking merchant ships, fleeing/fighting naval warships, pillaging ports, duels, making people walk the plank, etc. Granted I haven't played Pirate King or Blackbeard.

In other news, fallen angels are going to be the new vampires io9.com/5360906/could-angels-be-the-new-vampires

More
17 Sep 2009 13:15 #41745 by metalface13
Michael Barnes wrote:

BOOSH, MJ has delivered a headshot with that one!

Fulci's zombie concept was always more of a spooky, supernatural thing rather than the military/industrial/cosmic/science accident thing. CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD and of course THE BEYOND really brings that home- the undead in those films are more tied to mysticism and the occult. They're very grim and not at all full of "cheesy" shit like hillbillies and kung fu cheerleaders.

I think it's best if the cause of the zombies is left unsaid.

More
17 Sep 2009 13:18 #41748 by mrmarcus
metalface13 wrote:

On to pirates, ninjas, and zombies. Those are three things that have jumped the shark so hard and so far that I'd be OK with no game ever featuring any of them again.

But we have yet to see a defining pirate or ninja board game. I could care less about a ninja game, but I've yet to play a pirate game that feels like being a pirate: Attacking merchant ships, fleeing/fighting naval warships, pillaging ports, duels, making people walk the plank, etc. Granted I haven't played Pirate King or Blackbeard.

In other news, fallen angels are going to be the new vampires io9.com/5360906/could-angels-be-the-new-vampires

Ugh. I guess that's going to be Flying Frog's next game after the carnival martians?

More
17 Sep 2009 13:20 #41749 by grimnir
Another Trashdome giving me a choice similar to choosing between two beloved children...

Last Night has elicited a ton of laughter and fun. Fury is more interesting to play, especially from Drac's point of view (getting to listen to the Hunters' thought process and choices).

Both games have a tendency to end too quickly (finding the needed items too quickly in Last Night; having the combat dice totally go against Drac in Fury). But that doesn't bother me (although it ticks off some members of my game group).

Vote: Fury of Dracula

More
17 Sep 2009 15:21 #41787 by ubarose
Michael Barnes wrote:

And TWILIGHT isnt' about vampires, it's about Mormons and white trash/trailer park romantic fantasies.

Really. I thought it was about dating a gay guy who was in denial. But I only read a few chapters before I tossed the book.

More
17 Sep 2009 16:07 #41797 by Bulwyf
metalface13 wrote:

But we have yet to see a defining pirate or ninja board game. I could care less about a ninja game, but I've yet to play a pirate game that feels like being a pirate: Attacking merchant ships, fleeing/fighting naval warships, pillaging ports, duels, making people walk the plank, etc. Granted I haven't played Pirate King or Blackbeard

Put me in that camp as well. I've been reading "The Seahawk" by Rafael Sabatini which features a lot of piracy Barbary Cost style. Unfortuantely all the piracy games out there seem to embrace the hollywood caricature of piracy more than its historical aspects which might actually make for an interesting game. In other words, I want a little more Barbarossa and a lot less Johnny Depp.

-Will

More
17 Sep 2009 17:25 #41806 by metalface13
Bulwyf wrote:

metalface13 wrote:

But we have yet to see a defining pirate or ninja board game. I could care less about a ninja game, but I've yet to play a pirate game that feels like being a pirate: Attacking merchant ships, fleeing/fighting naval warships, pillaging ports, duels, making people walk the plank, etc. Granted I haven't played Pirate King or Blackbeard

Put me in that camp as well. I've been reading "The Seahawk" by Rafael Sabatini which features a lot of piracy Barbary Cost style. Unfortuantely all the piracy games out there seem to embrace the hollywood caricature of piracy more than its historical aspects which might actually make for an interesting game. In other words, I want a little more Barbarossa and a lot less Johnny Depp.

-Will

Well, I wouldn't say no to a game that properly captures the flavor of the Pirates of the Caribbean and On Stranger Tides, that pseudo-fantasy, voodoo pirate stuff.

More
17 Sep 2009 17:33 #41809 by Pat II
Unfortunately we've romanticized and turned piracy into some sort of fun fantasy. The reality is these folks are and always have been the dirtiest of thieves that care only of themselves. I'd like to see a modern day pirate setting where you've got a couple of speedbboats and very fixed time schedule in order to get in and out before the big boys show up. Small gun fights but logistics and timelines being the biggest challenge.

More
17 Sep 2009 19:06 #41813 by Notahandle

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.291 seconds