October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Space Hulk VS Blood Bowl

More
17 Jan 2010 16:48 #53380 by Mr Skeletor
Vote: Bood Bowl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2010 20:58 #53388 by Last Alchemist
Vote: Space Hulk

More
17 Jan 2010 21:39 - 17 Jan 2010 21:39 #53389 by mjl1783
BB is a great game but only really shines as a "lifestyle game" IMO -- running in a league, having a team grow and evolve over a long time.

I don't agree with this at all. Playing one-off exhibition matches can be just as fun as running a league. Granted, you don't get to do any micro-managing, and it lacks some of that RPG appeal of developing your team/players. Still, you can just call it an All-Star game, and go hog wild building your teams within a set limit. That way, you still get that customization aspect.

As a lifestyle game, BB is great, but it can also kinda' suck. Last time we got a mini league going with our group, my dwarf team fucking destroyed somebody's skaven team. I killed and/or seriously injured half of his team, including his star player. That same night, another team got his ass handed to him in a similar fashion.

Needless to say, neither coach really wanted to continue the league. Normally, that's the kind of thing that would piss me off, but I can't really blame the guys. It was Game 2 of the season, and it was pretty unlikely that they were ever going to recover from those losses. I probably wouldn't have been too thrilled about the prospect of showing up every week just so that everyone else gets to take a turn beating you into the ground to pump up their records either.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2010 21:39 by mjl1783.

More
17 Jan 2010 21:44 #53390 by Chapel
Vote Blood Bowl. I thought SH was chump change once I started playing in the Blood Bowl league.

Shoot, I liked Necromunda better than Space Hulk

More
17 Jan 2010 23:34 - 18 Jan 2010 00:32 #53396 by Mr. White
Vote: Blood Bowl

Easily, the best game GW has ever done. SH is good, but no where near the level of BB. Like many others have mentioned the league play of blood bowl is where it's at. You'll never be as attached to "Brother Claudius" or whoever as you will be to the players on your roster. Their stories and personalities grow from game to game.

As far as teams getting trounced early, my leagues have always incorporated rules to keep them in the game. Be they a shot at the Toilet Bowl or the Hell Game. These are games played right before the season BB final, where the two worst teams are in a crazy ass game with two wizards each, weather changing every kick-off regardless, and various other hazards we decided pre-season. Attendance for these fiascos are crazy, so the two teams get a truck load of cash. This cash infusion makes them competitive the following season. On top of that we make nice trophies for these games, so even if the player won't be around the following season, they still have a little something to strive for. Set-ups like this have always worked for our leagues.

We also have 'hit' rules, where coaches can put money on other player's heads. It's not uncommon for a coach to forsake a win to take a shot at that pot of gold.

Lots of fun ways to keep the league interesting for everyone, and all within the spirit of the game.

Love Blood Bowl.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2010 00:32 by Mr. White.

More
18 Jan 2010 00:26 #53398 by metalface13
Yeah, it does suck if somebody's team gets totally worked in a single game. In those cases leagues should have a catchup method in place when the league starts.

More
18 Jan 2010 01:05 #53403 by Mr MOTO

I'll never have the time for league play. I love Alien / Aliens and Space Hulk hits that game theme perfectly.

More
18 Jan 2010 08:07 #53410 by panzerattack
I love my Goblin Team (even if they are completely bloody incapable of winning a game) but for this I've got to vote Space Hulk

More
18 Jan 2010 08:53 #53411 by scissors
I love Blood Bowl but I love Space Hulk more with its Aliens theme. Space Hulk... smash!
Vote: Space Hulk!

More
18 Jan 2010 09:44 #53416 by Shellhead
Yeah, I don't have time for league play either, and Space Hulk has my favorite bughunt theme, so...

Vote: Space Hulk.

More
18 Jan 2010 10:00 #53417 by Dr. Mabuse
The RPG and micromanaging elements are a big turn off for me.

VOTE: SPACE HULK!

More
18 Jan 2010 11:02 #53424 by NeonPeon
What the hell? I've never played BB, I can't even stand the theme - I can't think of anything goofier that falls under the umbrella of Ameritrash. I can't even look at the box art without groaning a little inside. Orcs and elves making goofy faces while playing a modern American sport...Bleh! It's like some joke that got stale in 1991, when Mutant League Football came out for Sega Genesis. That and I've heard far too many stories about league play and heated debates that people take far too seriously because their star player's life hinges on the outcome...and while maybe that's the players' fault for being lame, I dunno, if you're building up a character for months only to have to tear him up cause of a bad die roll, I could see that being annoying.

I don't need to point out the awesomeness of Space Hulk.

More
18 Jan 2010 11:38 #53427 by Druen Kree
Both games are great but I would have to throw my vote for Blood Bowl.Just because the attachment to your BB team and its players...you care when that blitzer with mighty blow,+ 1 strength and dodge gets killed or injured.

More
18 Jan 2010 13:41 #53429 by Columbob
For reasons already stated above, I'm voting for Blood Bowl.

The biggest knock against league play is finding enough players to make it worthwhile. You don't want to be playing against the same 2 other teams for x number of games.

As to teams that get thrashed early on, there are already handicapping rules and any league could have catch up mechanics as well. It's not the end of the world, although if too many players need to miss the next game because of injuries, that's kind of lame.

More
18 Jan 2010 15:50 #53437 by Malloc
Bote:Space Hulk

Both are great, but SH is all you need in one box.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds