October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Hammer Of The Scots VS Hannibal RvC

More
01 Feb 2010 17:44 #54513 by ChristopherMD

WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting on it. End your first post in this thread with the title of the game you're placing a bet on (i.e. voting for) so its clear to me when reading it later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. Counting expansions or not is entirely up to you just as playing with them or not is. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2010 17:55 #54518 by Mr Skeletor
Vote: Hammer of the Scotts.

More
01 Feb 2010 17:58 #54519 by Space Ghost

More
01 Feb 2010 18:10 #54521 by dave
Vote: Hannibal

More
01 Feb 2010 18:17 #54522 by Schweig!
I miss the time when people wrote arguments for the game they were voting.

More
01 Feb 2010 19:03 #54526 by Dr. Mabuse
OOOOO this is a good one!

I'm a newcomer to HotS and the Columbia block games and after the first play I thought it was a fabulous game. With only 8 pages of rules (mixed with historical notes) it really does A LOT in terms of providing a rich and exciting gaming experience. I dig, that most Nobles will switch sides after being defeated. It gives me sense of how fragile and fickle this war was in terms of allegiance to one side or the other.

This is a conflict that I'm not familiar with (no I've never seen Braveheart). That is another reason why I'm drawn to it and to most other wargames I've played.

HRvC on the other hand, I fell for after reading the rulebook a few years back. The idea that it took political points to determine the victor was mind-blowing to me. Depending on how great of a loss you suffer after a battle reflects itself in the loss of support from cities you once had influence over and I love the controversial battle cards.

After reading "The Punic Wars" by Adrian Goldsworthy I had a better understanding and became a fan of the Punic Wars saga.

All that being said, I vote for: Hannibal: Rome versus Carthage based solely on the amount of times I've played. HotS could overtake Warriors of God, with more plays, for me.

More
01 Feb 2010 19:25 #54529 by DeletedUser
FREEEEEEDOMMMMMMMMM!!!!

(somebody was going to say it)

Vote: Hammer of the Scots

More
01 Feb 2010 19:27 #54530 by ChristopherMD
Schweig! wrote:

Says the guy who didn't even fucking vote.

More
01 Feb 2010 19:44 #54533 by Mr. White

This is my game of the 00s. Little old Columbia has shot to the top of my favorite game company list due to this title. This is the game my gaming arch-rival and I pull out for bragging rights. Mabuse had it right, rarely has so much theme and strategy been placed on so few pages. Awesome game!

However, though I love HotS, I really wish Columbia would diversify their line again. The Rome vs Rome rules posted sounded ace, but now I hear it's going back to the A, B, C, blocks and card format of HotS, CR, Liberty, Texas Glory, RIII, etc.

More
01 Feb 2010 19:58 #54536 by KingPut
Hammer of the Scots is a more tactical game. It's also a game for people who like lots of battles and rolling dice. One of the keys to the game is know when and where to attack and how to get you nobles and armies in position so you won't lose them during wintering. Hammer is a lot of fun.

Hannibal is more strategic. Part of the strategy is playing a string of strategy cards to give you a military or political advantage over your opponent. The battles are very exciting in Hannibal because the results are unpredictable. You can end up losing your entire army or it can end with one side only losing 1 or 2 units. Hammer is great but Hannibal has an extra layer that gives it the edge. I played 3 games of Hannibal this weekend and if somebody asked me to play right now I'd jump at the chance.

My Vote: Hannibal

More
01 Feb 2010 20:35 #54540 by dysjunct

More
01 Feb 2010 20:40 - 01 Feb 2010 20:42 #54542 by lj1983
great matchup.

I love both games.

This really is the battle of two of the best in their respective styles of wargame.

In my mind, this comes down to which one does what it wants to the best. and Hammer has one big downside in my mind.

The "nobles" are the unique thing that Hammer adds. unfortunately, the effect of them being the primary combat unit, and always returning home limits the Fog of war effect. rather than maneuvering armies and bluffing, it feels more like a "where's waldo" game while searching for Wallace or a specific noble. In the end, there feels like more than alittle bit of puzzle in the game to me.

Hannibal may have alittle New-game love for me right now (despite first playing it back in 2000), but I think its the deeper, stronger design. I'm kinda ambivalent to the whole Battle-card system, but overall Hannibal is a great example of card drive wargames, and great step up from Twilight Struggle.

vote: hannibal
Last edit: 01 Feb 2010 20:42 by lj1983.

More
01 Feb 2010 21:29 #54546 by Schweig!
Mad Dog wrote:

Schweig! wrote:

Says the guy who didn't even fucking vote.

Hey, I get the same response when I complain about the government.

More
01 Feb 2010 21:34 #54547 by dragonstout
HANNIBAL

'Cause I love the battle cards, and Rommel in the Desert does the block game soooooo much better than Hammer of the Scots. Seriously, the fog of war is insanely intense in that game when you don't know how much supply your opponent has, which can make the difference between getting slaughtered and just barely holding the line. I do really like Hammer of the Scots, though, nevertheless, especially 1) the side-switching nobles and 2) the resetting of the board every year. I disliked that at first, but now I like how each year you set a new goal for yourself, and don't have to worry too much about looking forward past that. Hannibal is just meatier, though, and also? The wife likes it more. I think I have NEVER won a Hannibal game against her.

More
02 Feb 2010 10:07 #54569 by hacksword
These are both very good games. I give a slight edge to Hannibal. I think it gives more opportunity for tactics and manuvoeuring, and I like the wide variety of events in the cards.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds