October 09, 2023
2544 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome: Playmobil vs Lego

More
28 Mar 2011 21:11 - 28 Mar 2011 21:24 #92503 by dclose
And look, throw Playmobil Bikini Babe into the mix...

And you have an instant sexual harassment construction worker playset! Sit the construction worker on a tool box and have him make obvious sexual remarks and/or gestures to a scantly-clad female passerby!

Let's see Lego do that! :p :)

And where else can kids get cases of beer with a construction site set?!

Personally, I'd like to combine that with the Playmobil knife-throwing set!

Hey, how many votes do I get? :) Ah, that's okay, I might be losing but at least I'm having fun!
Last edit: 28 Mar 2011 21:24 by dclose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2011 22:06 #92509 by SGT Dave
Lego

Playmobil = dolls

More
28 Mar 2011 23:41 - 28 Mar 2011 23:42 #92515 by Mr. White
Legos are really only good for solo play. You have all the time in the world to futz around looking for the right bit without having to worry about 1) your friend using the piece or 2) your buddy having to go home before anything is actually built.

With Playmobil there is no set up time. You take the knights, I'll be the cowboys. Let's go!

Multi-player > Solo.

Plus the Playmobil supporter here is doing a great marketing job. I'm amused.

Vote: Playmobil
Last edit: 28 Mar 2011 23:42 by Mr. White.

More
29 Mar 2011 14:28 #92593 by Columbob
NeonPeon wrote:

I've never even heard of Playmobil...But Lego is classic, it has its own theme park

So does Playmobil .

More
01 Apr 2011 07:08 #92868 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:Trashdome: Playmobil vs Lego
Last call for votes. Polling stations will close today.

Where are all those Playmobil lovers hiding? Too afraid of the hive mind to out yourself or do you think every picture put up by Diane counts as a vote?

This is your childhood, your sentimental journey we're voting on. Don't let the Lego-people take it away from you!

More
01 Apr 2011 09:21 - 01 Apr 2011 09:28 #92878 by dclose
Jur wrote:

every picture put up by Diane counts as a vote

Really? Wow!!! Well if that's true, then here's 2 minutes and 22 seconds worth of "votes"!! :D

Yes! The Playmobil Apple Store! It could be yours...

Well, maybe not. APRIL FOOLS!! :D

www.thinkgeek.com/interests/looflirpa/e8..._homepage_Featured_9

Playmobil is cool enough for ThinkGeek! Now THAT should count for something! :) Take THAT Lego!! :p Where's the Lego Android store? Or is Lego more of a Windows shop? :D
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 09:28 by dclose.

More
01 Apr 2011 09:50 #92879 by metalface13
WTH? LEGO ALL THE WAY!

Have you not seen all the LEGO Star Wars stuff?

Also the collectible minifigures series is rockin!

Plus all the awesome stuff people build with LEGO!

Plus there's LEGO Harry Potter, ninjas, castle, pirates, space stuff. Playmobil is lame unless you are 6.

More
02 Apr 2011 04:58 #92932 by jur
Well, that was a resounding victory for Lego. A bit more one sided than I expected.

Votes cast

Lego: 25
Playmobil: 4
Invalid: 3

There used to be a bigger difference between Playmobil and Lego than there is now. Lego used to be much more about building things, Playmobil was always about the puppets. This made Playmobil excellent for storytelling and adventure.

I can still remember that Lego made a move, I think somewhere around 1980, to introducing their own small puppets, and that greatly improved its appeal. It then became building and storytelling, which gave it a clear edge over Playmobil.

I think the greatness of Lego has been forced on them a bit over the last years since the patents on the blocks expired. It has made them much more creative in the choice of themes, which are by now much more Ameritrash than they used to be: ninja's vs skeletons, deep sea monsters, 1920s archeologists vs mummy's. That's just too awesome.
It also has made them more creative in the use of the bits. The games line and the spinjitsu are at least attempts to keep the innovative edge over the competition by adding more story and applications.

Whether they are successful as such, I don't know. But as far as I'm concerned this is one example where the expire of intellectual property rights has actually has a beneficial influence on a product.

I don't feel that Playmobil has been as innovative in themes and applications.

Anyway, thanks all for participating!
What Trash match up should be next?

More
02 Apr 2011 06:21 #92934 by LilRed
Make it FFG versus all other ameritrash publishing companies. Ameritrash Goliath versus Ameritrash Davids!

More
02 Apr 2011 06:25 #92935 by jur
LilRed wrote:

Make it FFG versus all other ameritrash publishing companies. Ameritrash Goliath versus Ameritrash Davids!

interesting suggestion putting companies against each other, thanks!

More
02 Apr 2011 11:45 #92947 by Schweig!
If you had asked me when I was a child I would have gone with LEGO. I had most fun constructing stuff. But nowadays I've got to go with Playmobil, because LEGO fucking sold out. Just look at all that Star Wars crap. Also nowadays the kits come with so many specialized parts that you can hardly build something else out of these other than the original piece. Since I'm German I naturally played with Playmobil as well. But my best toys were made out of wood, I had a railway set (BRIO) and a castle (forgot the manufacturer).

Vote: Playmobil

@Southernman: Although I had both LEGO and Playmobil, I also constructed huts with my friends. (And broke an arm falling down from one.) One doesn't exclude the other. I don't think parents nowadays would give their kids hammers, rusty nails and brittle wood to play with. But we spent most of our time playing football anyway. LOADS of football.

More
02 Apr 2011 12:42 #92955 by jur
we all built huts, didn't we?

More
03 Apr 2011 09:11 #92999 by Ska_baron
Oh man, BRIO! My mom still has all of mine and I'm hoping my daugther (or one of my kids at least) is into it. I used to set up my plastic dinos with the BRIO for Jurassic Park style fun. There were few human survivors.

More
04 Apr 2011 11:22 #93075 by Columbob
Jur wrote:

No kidding. My nephew just turned 5, and he can already build a lean-to shelter using a few branches in the woods.

More
04 Apr 2011 16:50 #93120 by jur
Columbob wrote:

Jur wrote:

No kidding. My nephew just turned 5, and he can already build a lean-to shelter using a few branches in the woods.

My boy built a hut over the weekend and was heartbroken to find out yesterday evening that other kids had added to his creation, especially stickers.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds