October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
20 Mar 2020 22:02 - 20 Mar 2020 22:04 #308391 by Gary Sax
It's very zen to me. I don't play it very competitively, do a sort of inherent RP. I actually think playing multiplayer and trying to be efficient would suck the fun out of the game. If you don't accelerate often there are long stretches of just small decisions and building.

If you have all the DLC, I totally sympathize with you. Getting into these big Paradox games with full DLC is just like a hundred systems layered on top of each other that you haven't been slowly introduced to over the course of like 2-3 years.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2020 22:04 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2020 18:18 #308408 by Frohike
I’m no too thrilled about one aspect of the new Animal Crossing: the Representative. Whoever plays the game first on the console becomes the gate for unlocking any new features in the town for everyone else: buildings, bridges, purchasable tools, etc. There is currently no way to delegate this role to another player. I’m a super casual player, clocking maybe 20-30 minutes max per day before... basically getting bored/sleepy and moving onto something else. I happened to load up this game first, so now the slowest and most casual player in the family is the feature gatekeeper for the town.

I’m willing to reset and wipe the town (currently the only solution), but my daughter already did quite a bit of work on her house, logo, etc. Meanwhile my son is frustrated and logging into my account to power level, which kinda ruins my game since I like discovering things & unlocking achievements for myself.

They need to allow a user to delegate the “Representative” role to someone else on the console. As it stands, it doesn’t feel like this was implemented with the family console in mind... which is a major oversight, IMO.

I see I’m not alone in being frustrated by this.

www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/fluyqu/a...zons_users_reporting
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, WadeMonnig

More
21 Mar 2020 18:20 #308409 by Gary Sax
Wow, that super sucks.

More
21 Mar 2020 18:42 #308410 by hotseatgames
That sucks. My house has two switches and I actually got two copies of the game. I'm the only user on mine, and my two sons share the other one. I don't know if this will cause them grief or not since they are so addicted to Rainbow Six Siege they have barely touched AC.

More
22 Mar 2020 01:15 #308426 by the_jake_1973
More hours of Gran Turismo Sport. I can drive my real life car in the game, and I dig that. Even though it is not VR, playing it on the headset with the cockpit camera view is pretty damn good. This is the first time in a driving game, I am enjoying a manual transmission.

More
22 Mar 2020 09:20 #308431 by Ah_Pook
The animal crossing mayor thing is super annoying it's true. My wife wanted to be the mayor, and I'm fine with it since she fucking lives AC, it's mainly annoying that I can't even contribute directly to the giant piles of resources she needs to build stores and stuff. I have to drop stuff outside her house and then she logs on and trans or, which works but like why add in the hassle?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, WadeMonnig

More
22 Mar 2020 23:25 #308460 by SebastianBludd
The eldest and I have about 12 hours into Doom: Eternal so far and I've been surprised at how they made the game more challenging without just turning the enemies into bullet sponges. The pistol is gone, the melee attack no longer does damage, and the ammo cap for the shotgun has been lowered. Add those changes to the fact that enemies now have weaknesses and strategic weak points, and the end result is combat that is much more involved than its predecessor. You actually have to switch between weapons now and managing your ammunition is a constant concern (however, be aware that the chainsaw automatically refills itself to the lowest level so it's always available for gathering ammo from the weakest enemies).

There are also an additional mod for each weapon, a buffed melee attack that can do damage, a weapon that generates armor, and an additional grenade type, so it's not uncommon to get overwhelmed by options during fights that are already incredibly hectic (unsurprisingly, I'm much worse at this than my son). That being said, if you take the time to scour the levels for all the items and complete the optional fights it ends up being well worth it because, while not overpowered, some of the weapon and item upgrades make some enemies a lot easier to handle.

For instance, each weapon has two alt-fire modes (mods) that can be upgraded twice with weapon points, which then unlocks a Mastery challenge that, when completed, unlocks a permanent buff for the weapon in that mode. So if you upgrade the autofire mod for the shotgun twice and then kill 15 Pinkies with that mod, from then on if you kill an enemy with autofire they'll drop shotgun ammo.

Some weapon-specific spoilers:
Warning: Spoiler!

They've also added three new mechanics to the "parkour" aspect of the game and we've enjoyed using them to get to hard-to-reach places for secrets and upgrades. I was concerned that this game would be lacking in that regard but we've been pleasantly surprised so far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
22 Mar 2020 23:38 - 22 Mar 2020 23:38 #308462 by Gary Sax
Most recent Stellaris DLC and patch has really elevated the game to be completely recommendable if you know what you're getting into complexitywise. The AI is working a bit better and the diplomacy and federations stuff gives you a lot more to do midgame. Economy is also reasonably interesting to balance now so their huge system change has finally hit a good equilibrium.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2020 23:38 by Gary Sax.

More
23 Mar 2020 05:06 #308466 by san il defanso
I got Dungeon Keeper, Master of Orion 1 and 2, and in a bit of gallows humor, Theme Hospital from the GOG spring sale. I've only really played the first Master of Orion for like 30 minutes, and about an hour of Dungeon Keeper. I really enjoyed that last one though. I can see myself getting way into it actually.

Mostly just Civ VI though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Jexik, hotseatgames

More
23 Mar 2020 08:43 #308469 by hotseatgames
Been playing a bit of Doom Eternal, which is great, but requires some real controls agility with all of the various powers you need to use in the vicious cycle of shoot, get ammo, get health, get armor, jump, dash.

When I don't have time to load that up, I've started the pre-order bonus, Doom 64. I never played this one back in the day, so it's an enjoyable diversion. Levels are pretty convoluted and the game features effects that were not present in the early PC games. It's fun.

Mostly though... Animal Crossing. This game is a life saver, and yes it's just a giant treadmill, but turning off my brain when possible is appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Mar 2020 09:52 #308473 by ChristopherMD
Wolfenstein Cyberpilot in PSVR - Walking around Paris in a giant mech while torching Nazis with a flamethrower is pretty cool if you're into that kind of stuff. Only did the starter mission so far so not much to report.

More
23 Mar 2020 11:02 - 23 Mar 2020 11:05 #308481 by Jexik
Tried out Stellaris with 3 friends while we had a discord voice chat opened up. What a wild game. It seems really daunting, but I imagine it gets to be less so once you've played a bit more.

My name is Jexik on Steam if anyone wants to add me for any reason. Maybe we can throw down in Cardhunter or something. Just say you're from TWBG or whatever.
Last edit: 23 Mar 2020 11:05 by Jexik.

More
23 Mar 2020 12:08 #308485 by RobertB
Entirely too much Civ VI. Right now I'm hoping I can pull off a science win without going to war with another empire.

As for Stellaris, I might break that out again. No snark here - what does a multiplayer game of Stellaris look like? In solo games I've gone for a good long time with very little contact with other races.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
23 Mar 2020 12:13 #308486 by Jexik
Without the chatting, I imagine it'd still be pretty lonely. It was the first game for 2/4 of us. It was pretty funny when my first "beta alien" was my friend. "Oh, it's just Phil. Phew."

More
23 Mar 2020 17:26 #308497 by Ah_Pook
I feel like Doom 2016 was the PERFECT difficulty level on Ultraviolence. Things were bananas but you could skate through and it felt incredible. Doom Eternal Ultraviolence is harder than Doom 2016 Nightmare and I'm finding it way more frustrating than fun. Going to have to back it down a level I guess, but it's annoying that they missed the mark so badly there.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.601 seconds