October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
21 May 2020 23:42 #310525 by Gary Sax
We're working through a wire rewatch too.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2020 08:09 - 22 May 2020 08:11 #310527 by hotseatgames
I’m doing a rewatch of The Shield. Not as good as The Wire, of course, but certainly gets the blood pumping more. I’m happy to say it holds up.

Also, the blu ray set has one of the coolest packages I’ve seen. It’s a detectives notebook with each page holding one of the 18 discs.
Last edit: 22 May 2020 08:11 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, charlest

More
22 May 2020 22:08 #310547 by charlest
I totally need to rewatch The Wire. Been too long.

I loved The Shield but paused somewhere near the end. Then I accidentally had a huge spoiler revealed and was too aggravated to finish it. Always wanted to go back and watch it.

More
28 May 2020 21:32 - 29 May 2020 11:25 #310758 by Sagrilarus
Anybody else watching The Great? It's been pretty doggone amusing.
Last edit: 29 May 2020 11:25 by Sagrilarus.

More
29 May 2020 11:08 #310769 by Shellhead
I am finally watching Dark Shadows. I tried a couple of times last year, but couldn't make it through the first episode. This time around, I was finally in the right mood. I don't have much prior experience with soap operas, though I was such a tv addict as a kid that I sometimes tried to watch soaps during summer vacation on rainy days. As an adult, I sometimes watched prime time soaps like Melrose Place and The O.C., depending on who I was dating at the time. There is one thing that soap operas do really well: they deliver just enough information each episode to leave you interested in knowing What Will Happen Next? It doesn't really matter if you like the characters or not, you just need to know what happens.

So, Dark Shadows. It's 1966, so the show is in black-and-white. Each episode is about 21 minutes long. Once in a while, somebody fumbles line, but they just roll with it because it's a daily soap and they don't have time or budget to re-shoot every scene. The setting is dark and moody, a brooding mansion on a cliff overlooking the ocean. The Collins family has made a fortune with a cannery, buying fish from the local fishermen. The family is dramatic and a bit crazy, and the house might be haunted. The new nanny is an 18 year-old orphan with a mysterious benefactor. And a rich guy with a grudge against the Collins family has just moved back to town. The show is legendary for featuring a vampire and various other supernatural elements, but I believe those elements don't appear on the show until late in the first season. I have seen 8 episodes so far, and it's decent, but I don't know if I have the fortitude or time to keep going, but I will for now.

More
29 May 2020 11:39 #310771 by RobertB
Back in the early-mid 80's, when I was in college, General Hospital was big. Luke and Laura and all that. Everyone had to clear an hour in the afternoon for it.

I've watched GH, Days of Our Lives, and The Young and the Restless. If you can stand daytime soaps at all, and you're stuck on a desert island with nothing but broadcast TV, you can watch it a couple of times a week for a year or so and get some entertainment out of them. But by then they've bounced everyone off of everyone else, and the storylines get stale.

More
29 May 2020 12:18 #310775 by Not Sure

Sagrilarus wrote: Anybody else watching The Great? It's been pretty doggone amusing.

Yes. That show is the best thing I've seen in a while. Huzzah.

Sadly, we hit the end just two nights ago.

More
30 May 2020 09:01 #310802 by jason10mm

Shellhead wrote: I am finally watching Dark Shadows.

I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen more genre soaps. Maybe the venn overlap just isn't there, or tween shows like Sabrina (and the CW in general) do a good enough job to meet any demand.

But in this era of dumping whole seasons and binge and purge watching, I think.a semi-competent genre soap that is ONLY streamed live once a day would be a pretty cool phenomenon. Sure, folks could go get rips of it to watch later, but that only adds to the appeal IMHO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
30 May 2020 09:15 #310803 by southernman
With all my live sport disappearing in March and repeats seemingly becoming the norm I had to (finally) get Netflix to fill in the lockdown hours.
And what a baaaaaad decision :pinch: - I must have close to 20 series bookmarked to try and watch. Have started with all five of the Marvel TV series, and being a good fan I'm doing my best to watch them in recommended series order - have done S1 of Daredevil and that was a pretty impressive set of episodes, on Jessica Jones now, also pretty good but not quite topping Daredevil yet.

More
31 May 2020 16:33 #310824 by jason10mm
Ugh, as soon as the marvel shows stop grabbing you, bail. Their quality is pretty much a down slope IMHO. Trudging through Luke Cage, then Iron Fist, then Defenders to come back round to Punisher and DD and JJ is a chore for sure. At the time they were tolerable shows in a relative desert of content but not anymore. Plus they have been pretty much abandoned and divorced from the MCU which was always a titillating thing (they referenced "the event" and "the big green guy"!!) early on.

More
31 May 2020 17:05 #310825 by ChristopherMD
If rewatching I'd go with;

Daredevil S1
Jessica Jones S1
Daredevil S2
Defenders S1*
Punisher S1
Daredevil S3
Punisher S2

*This is basically Daredevil S2.5 with Jessica and Luke Cage from JJ S1 and brings in Iron Fist as the only new character. You can decide to watch his show or not based on this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gregarius, mtagge

More
01 Jun 2020 12:18 #310837 by Gregarius
Yeah, I like those season recommendations a lot, although I never watched the Punisher seasons. I got burned out. Now would probably a good time to take a look. I really, really liked Daredevil, despite its flaws.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
01 Jun 2020 14:11 - 01 Jun 2020 14:12 #310844 by Sagrilarus

Not Sure wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Anybody else watching The Great? It's been pretty doggone amusing.

Yes. That show is the best thing I've seen in a while. Huzzah.

Sadly, we hit the end just two nights ago.

I just finished The Great and it was . . . great. It really was. It has a slice of very well executed dark humor, some of it coming from people you'd least expect.

That said, send the kids to bed first and make sure they're settled in. Not a whole lot left to the imagination, language, sex, violence, drinking . . . did I leave anything out?
Last edit: 01 Jun 2020 14:12 by Sagrilarus.

More
02 Jun 2020 16:06 #310886 by jason10mm
What is The Great on?

If only I had a concise guide, maybe delivered once a week, that told me where to find this stuff :p

More
02 Jun 2020 16:57 #310890 by hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.532 seconds