October 09, 2023
2713 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2874 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
25 Jan 2016 22:20 #220807 by hotseatgames
Just watched episode 1 of the new season of X-Files. It was pretty great, and I'm hoping they keep up the momentum they established. If you were ever a fan I recommend checking it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jan 2016 23:38 - 25 Jan 2016 23:39 #220808 by Sagrilarus
The first episode didn't knock me out, but the second one was much better. I seem to recall that episodes that focused on the big storyline weren't usually as good and this seemed to hold to that.

A bit gory. They cold ease off of that without damaging the story if they wanted.

Lucifer followed, which appears to be a buddy-cops show. It was entertaining. I'm interested to see if it has legs though.

S.
Last edit: 25 Jan 2016 23:39 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Jan 2016 06:48 #220814 by Black Barney
They're making a big deal that the actors aren't paid the same. Someone tell them that Duchovny is a bigger star and that's it

More
26 Jan 2016 08:19 #220818 by Legomancer

Black Barney wrote: They're making a big deal that the actors aren't paid the same. Someone tell them that Duchovny is a bigger star and that's it

In what fucking universe is Duchovny a bigger star than Anderson?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jpat

More
26 Jan 2016 09:02 #220823 by Gary Sax
Barney troll detected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Black Barney

More
26 Jan 2016 10:03 - 26 Jan 2016 20:19 #220828 by Sagrilarus
Anderson has been very busy in some critically acclaimed shows in Britain. (She's a hybrid, US citizen with significant English roots.) Given the international nature of television now you could claim both of them to be pretty solid prizes to have on board. That said, you agree to a rate, you live with it. Anderson should ask for more if she wants it.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2016 20:19 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
26 Jan 2016 12:00 - 26 Jan 2016 12:02 #220831 by Grudunza
I was a big X-Files fan, and consider both Duchovny and Anderson to be good actors, but boy did they not seem to really gel in the premiere episode. Not sure if it was clunky dialogue, bad direction, not being together on screen in many years, or some combination of those things, but it just didn't feel natural to me much of the time. Hopefully that will improve for the remaining episodes.

That being said, it's good to see it up and running again, even though it seems a bit like a phoned-in/cash-in kind of thing. I do like the premise of it being more of a man-made conspiracy based on alien technology. That might prove interesting.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2016 12:02 by Grudunza.

More
26 Jan 2016 16:40 #220861 by Michael Barnes
I watched it last night, all of the criticisms of it are pretty much evident but come on man, they kept the exact same intro! Who didn't get chills at that!

It still felt right seeing them together again and certain elements of it were kind of just right- Fox going and seeing hardcore proof while Scully was off somewhere else, Scully playing the hardball skeptic but then softening, certain tonal elements were right on the money. I liked the updating, the Alex Jones-like character was interesting and he worked with the whole "is this bullshit or not" concept of the show.

But yeah, some klunkiness...definitely dusting off some cobwebs, you could see that for sure. Duchovny looks like he's barely aged at all, Anderson looks probably better than she used to but her makeup was really bad- it was wildly inconsistent.

Overall I would say it as about as good as some of the decent late-series episodes, but obviously we're not in seasons 1, 2, 3 territory. I'll happily watch the rest of them if only to see these characters in action again even if it is just a "once more around the block" thing.

I've mostly been watching John Pertwee Doctor Who...I had really only see some of the top stories from the third Doctor era, really digging into them. I think I would actually slate him as my second favorite Doctor after TB- and displacing Tennant. He's just freakin' great. I love his costumes, I love his surliness, I love the Venusian Aikido. Lots of really awesome episodes- "Terror of the Autons", "The Sea-Devils", "Inferno", "The Green Death", "Spearhead from Space", "The Three Doctors". And of course Robert Delgado's Master makes for an awesome foil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, ThirstyMan

More
26 Jan 2016 16:44 #220862 by Legomancer
gyuh, no. Chris Carter robbed me of too much of my time once when I originally watched (through S5, when I wised up), then again when I tried to re-watch a couple years ago and didn't get out of season 3, even ignoring the vast majority of episodes. He's not getting me a third time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Cranberries

More
26 Jan 2016 16:51 #220863 by Shellhead
I only enjoyed the standalone episodes from the original X-Files run. The never-ending conspiracy bs was a waste of time, especially after it became apparent that Carter was just making it up as he went along. That, and the unceasing will-they-or-won't-they speculation about Scully hooking up with Mulder was too much sizzle and not enough steak. I have no plans to watch this reboot.

More
26 Jan 2016 16:52 - 26 Jan 2016 16:53 #220864 by ChristopherMD
I still haven't watched the last movie. Except I mostly liked X-Files so I'll probably binge these sometime after they have all aired.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2016 16:53 by ChristopherMD.

More
26 Jan 2016 17:47 - 26 Jan 2016 17:49 #220865 by Grudunza
Yeah, the whole intro was really cool. My chills were multiplyin'. I loved all of that. But the rest of it ended up being so much of "well, here we are again." And even then, well great... that's a really cool place to be after 20 years away from it. I'm happy to be back into the show. But there was just a weird kind of rhythm between the actors (including Joel McHale as the douchebag TV guy) that felt off at several different times.

I've heard the third episode is great, and that's by Darin Morgan, who wrote some of the best original series eps. And I like that the series is only 6 shows. It could be that it just gets better and better from a slow-ish start.

Mad Dog, the last movie was very forgettable. And I agree with Shell that the standalones were much better and the whole conspiracy "this week the truth will be revealed!" stuff got really tiresome. But in this case, being only a 6-show run might make that work pretty well.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2016 17:49 by Grudunza.

More
26 Jan 2016 19:54 #220869 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Grudunza wrote: Mad Dog, the last movie was very forgettable. And I agree with Shell that the standalones were much better and the whole conspiracy "this week the truth will be revealed!" stuff got really tiresome. But in this case, being only a 6-show run might make that work pretty well.

For this whole reason of bullshit extending of storylines is why I have given up on any show where there is one crime solved over more than 2-3 episodes (Broadchurch/Gracepoint, The Killing, The Bridge/The Tunnel, etc). You know that nothing of real significance will be revealed until the final couple of episodes and that any lead before then is just bullshit. My wife loves them but I am tapping out now. I just watch the first one and the last one and it gives me 95% of the experience without the effort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Cranberries

More
26 Jan 2016 20:11 - 26 Jan 2016 23:10 #220872 by Sagrilarus
Delgado was simply magnificent as The Master. Hasn't been replaced yet in the series, 40 years later. That's how a cold calculating evil nemesis should be played.

Pertwee's time as the Doctor is amusing as hell. He's so over the top, such a window into the era with his clothes and his martial arts and his don't trust anyone over thirty attitude. I really liked Troughton as I saw him before Pertwee. Still do. So Pertwee was quite a change. But he's in my short list. He's so over the top that he gets forgiven for it.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2016 23:10 by Sagrilarus.

More
26 Jan 2016 21:17 #220877 by Cranberries

Sagrilarus wrote: Delgado was simply magnificent as The Master. Hasn't been replaced yet in the series, 40 years later. That's how a cold calculating evil nemesis should be played.

Pertwee's time as the Doctor is amusing as hell. He's so over the top, such a window into the era with his clothes and his martial arts and his don't trust anyone over thirty attitude. I really liked Troughton and I saw him first. Still do. So Pertwee was quite a change. But he's in my short list. He's so over the top that he gets forgiven for it.

I totally misread "Pertwee"

I've only seen a handful of the originals. I think I was in school or something. I've seen both movies and liked them. A made-up, unresolved conspiracy reminds me too much of Lost.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.260 seconds