October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2748 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
21 Dec 2015 22:31 #217944 by Sagrilarus
Dark Matter. Anybody else?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2015 22:43 #217946 by Black Barney
Of course not.

More
22 Dec 2015 08:19 #217977 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I watched two episodes of Dark Matter, and forgot all about it after I started watching Killjoys.

More
22 Dec 2015 08:41 #217980 by Sagrilarus
Wanted to see that one but I don't get SyFy. So it will have to wait.

More
22 Dec 2015 08:47 #217981 by Cranberries
The Fargo fans kept talking about The Leftovers so I was like hey a show about meatloaf interesting and it is by Damon Lindelof so they will never explain it.

I am eight episodes into the first season.

It is ripping my heart out.

More
23 Dec 2015 23:23 #218155 by Sagrilarus

JEM wrote: I watched two episodes of Dark Matter, and forgot all about it after I started watching Killjoys.

Halfway through episode 1 of Killjoys and it seems to be using every cliche in the book. Does it get better?

More
24 Dec 2015 00:54 #218161 by Grudunza

craniac wrote: The Fargo fans kept talking about The Leftovers so I was like hey a show about meatloaf interesting and it is by Damon Lindelof so they will never explain it.

I am eight episodes into the first season.

It is ripping my heart out.

Season Two is even better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
27 Dec 2015 23:14 - 27 Dec 2015 23:14 #218343 by Grudunza
Making of a Murderer, the Netflix documentary series about the railroading of Steven Avery (not that Steve Avery). Wow, what a crazy and terrible story of injustice, and that was just the first episode. Very interesting.
Last edit: 27 Dec 2015 23:14 by Grudunza.

More
28 Dec 2015 02:37 - 28 Dec 2015 04:20 #218350 by Grudunza
A few more episodes into Making a Murderer... Holy crap. This is unbelievable. What an incredible story, with so many twists. And all real footage, real people.

Nutshell intro... In 1985 a man named Steven Avery was railroaded into a rape charge and served 18 years in prison before being exonerated by DNA (with the real perpetrator continuing to rape that whole time). Evidence shows that several police officers and county employees neglected to follow the other leads they had about the real criminal. A massive law suit and deposition is filed against those officers. Just days after that, a woman is reported missing, and later her car and pieces of her burned bones are found on Avery's property. He is put to trial for her murder.

There is SO much more to it. But that's where I am now, in the middle of that trial. And while the implications are that he is being railroaded again, the view of how I perceived things leading up to the trial changed a few times, so while I'm now pulling for a particular resolution, I still have no idea where this might end up, other than to be reasonably certain that no matter what, justice will probably not be served.

But there are seriously fucked up things about what happens, and people being so deeply manipulative in different ways. And it shows the opposite of The Jinx, where Durst skated for being wealthy. If you listened to the Serial podcast, this is easily ten times more interesting and far more layered of a story. Also, one of Avery's lawyers *is* Saul Goodman, and there is a prosecuting lawyer who practically channels Fargo's Jerry Lundegarde during a press conference.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2015 04:20 by Grudunza.

More
28 Dec 2015 15:14 #218401 by Egg Shen
I finally finished Jessica Jones and damn was it good. I'm totally onboard with these Marvel Netflix series. I've decided that I love how both Daredevil and Jessica Jones are such tightly focused story arcs. Typically with a superhero TV show you get an intro the character, then they have the "bad guy a week" episodes which eventually crescendos with one epic villain showdown. Daredevil was ABOUT Kingpin. Jessica Jones was ABOUT Kilgrave. It adds so much necessary weight and emotion to the finales. By the end of the show you know almost as much about Kilgrave as you do about Jessica. It makes him a better villain. David Tennant is just so damn likable. yet he is such a monster at the same time. Just a truly terrifying piece of shit. Jessica Jones had much less action than Daredevil and that was smart. They made it a Noir style investigation series with occasional spurts of superhero action. It had a few mis-steps, but overall it was another success for Marvel. Bring on that Luke Cage show. I'm ready.

I'm all caught up on Ash vs Evil Dead. This is easily the greatest thing on TV at the moment. It's hilarious, well acted, bloody, spooky, silly and fun. Everything that they got wrong in the HORRIBLE, tone deaf, remake was undone with this incredibly well done show. I'll be picking this up on Blu Ray for sure.

More
03 Jan 2016 00:37 #218885 by Grudunza
Sherlock: The Abominable Bride - If you're a huge Sherlock fan like me, then this was highly anticipated, and turned out to be highly awesome. This episode was a one-time special to kind of hold over the audience between seasons 3 and 4 (coming in 2017), but it turned out to be like a big surprise gift to the fans, in terms of what it means on a meta level. I won't say any more than that, but I absolutely loved it.

Finished Making a Murderer - Just wow. Seriously. Go watch it now. And be prepared to want to throw things at your screen. I have conflicting feelings about some aspects of what happened, and would love to discuss some of them. If any of y'all give it a spin, let me know and then maybe we can start a new spoilery thread.

More
03 Jan 2016 02:14 #218888 by Disgustipater
I've seen Making a Murderer. Halfway through I considered not watching any more out of disgust but I powered through it.

More
03 Jan 2016 09:31 #218904 by Legomancer
Orphan Black season three. there are a few too many factions now and things are getting muddled. The Allison side plot, while amusing, didn't gel with the rest. Still, it's a fun ride and the actress really earns her paycheck.

More
03 Jan 2016 10:11 #218911 by Joebot
For you Game of Thrones fans, George Martin has fessed up that Book 6 won't be done in time to coincide with Season 6 of the show in April.

grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html

This is probably the least-surprising announcement ever.

I've been reading this damned series for almost 20 years. I remember buying Book 1 from the Sci Fi Book Club on a whim in 1996. But books 4 and 5 were such sloppy, soggy messes of meandering plot that I have to finally admit to myself that I'm more excited about the show. If Martin ever publishes book 6, I'll probably read it, but it feels more like an obligation at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, Gregarius

More
03 Jan 2016 12:04 #218921 by Gary Sax

Joebot wrote: For you Game of Thrones fans, George Martin has fessed up that Book 6 won't be done in time to coincide with Season 6 of the show in April.

grrm.livejournal.com/465247.html

This is probably the least-surprising announcement ever.

I've been reading this damned series for almost 20 years. I remember buying Book 1 from the Sci Fi Book Club on a whim in 1996. But books 4 and 5 were such sloppy, soggy messes of meandering plot that I have to finally admit to myself that I'm more excited about the show. If Martin ever publishes book 6, I'll probably read it, but it feels more like an obligation at this point.

First, I agree with you by and large. I'm a big fan for 20 years as well (get off my lawn!) and just finished teaching a class using the books.

That said, I am increasingly sympathetic with Martin. He doesn't really feel responsible for fandom of his creation. It's refreshing. He isn't creating an elaborate, absurd plan B if he dies. He has lots of other interests (not the least of them the show itself). That's ok.

Internet fandom is oppressive. He should feel free to walk away if he wants. Or just do the show. He's 67, it's his life, and being a writer isn't a salaried wage contract with his fans, which I think people increasingly believe being an artist is.

That said, I think the books, even the later ones, are better than the show. So I hope he finishes them but I'm not holding my breath.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.763 seconds