October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

SOLO - LET'S TALK (KEEP SPOILERS IN TAGS)

More
30 May 2018 22:25 #274320 by stoic
Solo is the best of the Disney Star Wars movies so far. It should have been called Lando since he was the more interesting character. I want to see more Lando. The actor who played Han was all wrong too and a miscast. He just wasn't alpha enough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2018 07:48 #274331 by stoic

This game should have included a Millennium Falcon.
Attachments:

More
31 May 2018 08:00 #274332 by SuperflyPete

charlest wrote: I enjoyed it quite a bit and realized I appreciate these one-offs more than 7/8. I did not enjoy the main actor at all and I was kind of annoyed how he was used as loopy comic relief for his own film (acting stupid and being walked over multiple times), but Donald Glover was perfect. You could tell he put a lot of effort into impersonating Lando's voice pattern and mannerisms.

Warning: Spoiler!

Lando is the only character aside from Vader who has ever truly interested me. The sole reason I will watch this film is to see more Lando.

More
31 May 2018 08:39 #274334 by charlest

lj1983 wrote:

as long as that's the fighter you are talking about, the OT 'changed' TIE Fighters in the same way. Interceptors were introduced in ROTJ, Bombers in ESB.

Nah, I'm talking about how the regular TIEs looked noticeably different, particularly when shown from the rear due to their drive plume and also their cockpit. I can't find this in a screenshot though so now I'm second guessing myself.

More
06 Jun 2018 11:56 #274818 by Gregarius
I finally saw this last night, and I'm pretty mixed.

Unlike most people, I actually really enjoyed Ehrenreich's performance as Solo. He was in a tough position, and I liked his decision to pick just a couple of things to emulate (his grin and posture) and make the rest his own. I liked Glover's performance, too, even though he was doing more of an impression.

What I didn't like had more to do with the script. The whole opening sequence on Corellia seemed unnecessary. Why not just start with the train sequence? (Which by the way, *really* needed a planning scene). If they felt like they *had* to show his relationship with Qira, I wish they had done it IJ3 style and had them both played by different child actors.

I'm completely with Jason10mm that L3 was far too human for my tastes. And I'm also in agreement with Grudunza that all the forced explanations of trivial parts of Han's backstory were totally boring and dragged the script down.

I wanted to see a Han Solo adventure; I didn't want to see a Han Solo origin story. Some of that stuff could have been sprinkled in for fun, but it all felt forced.

I didn't really care about the holo reveal at the end, but

Overall, I'd say it was fine. Better than Rogue One. Not as good as it could have been, but a little better than I expected.

More
10 Jun 2018 17:18 #275065 by Ancient_of_MuMu

More
10 Jun 2018 17:47 #275067 by stormseeker75
It IS canon, dude.

More
10 Jun 2018 18:48 #275069 by Ancient_of_MuMu

stormseeker75 wrote: It IS canon, dude.

All the shit that happened in X-Men:The Last Stand was canon and they went out of their way to retcon it in Days of Future Past. Just because you made a mistake once in official canon doesn't mean that you have to keep repeating it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Jun 2018 20:35 #275071 by Michael Barnes

Really liked it over all.

More
11 Jun 2018 05:24 - 11 Jun 2018 05:26 #275078 by Matt Thrower
Saw it over the weekend. It's good, but personally I think it's the weakest of the "new" films. It felt overlong and a parts of it were a little baggy round the edges.

The biggest issue with it was young Han. I mean, he's competent enough but he just didn't have the necessary screen charisma to carry the film, especially not while trying to wear Harrison Ford's enormous shoes. A lot of the characters just didn't ... seem to have much character. In comparison, Lando and L3 absolutely stole the show. I loved them.

An interesting observation: the scene where the Falcon is being chased by TIE fighters and one of them hits the gun turret causing the gunner to exclaim "ow, my thumbs!" seemed really incongruous. A sudden twitch of badly-timed cheese in an exciting chase sequence: it was sufficiently jarring to stick out as I watched the film. So I come into work this morning and someone tells me that's the only scene that survived from the original cut before they changed directors to reboot the project. I just found it fascinating that even though it's only seconds long, the change in tone is so hugely noticeable.

Was also confused by the "guest appearance" (can't be bothered with spoiler tags). But on reflection, I think that's only going to annoy a minority of the audience. Big Star wars fans will understand (I looked it up online). Casual cinema-goers won't care. It's only people like me - and some other folk here - who are semi-invested in the world-building who'll find it awkward.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2018 05:26 by Matt Thrower.

More
11 Jun 2018 12:43 - 11 Jun 2018 12:43 #275099 by Jexik

Michael Barnes wrote:

Really liked it over all.

Thanks, I was wondering why/how

I liked it over all too. I recognize Star Wars' cultural importance, but I'm not a die hard fan by any stretch.* I put both this and RO in my top 5 out of the 10 SW movies so far.

IV> RO > V > SOLO > VIII > VII > I > VI > III > II

*My favorite SW related thing is the X-Wing mini's game. KOTOR was neat too, although I got bored with it and didn't finish it. The Clone Wars cartoon sounds real neat though.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2018 12:43 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Jun 2018 13:17 #275103 by Sagrilarus

Jexik wrote: IV> RO > V > SOLO > VIII > VII > I > VI > III > II

*My favorite SW related thing is the X-Wing mini's game. KOTOR was neat too, although I got bored with it and didn't finish it. The Clone Wars cartoon sounds real neat though.

Star Wars Rebels has some of the best material in the milieu if you ask me. Good characters, good writing, stories that perk right along. Well worth your time to watch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jexik

More
11 Jun 2018 13:38 #275105 by Michael Barnes
Some other stuff about that reveal...

About the movie...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
11 Jun 2018 13:42 #275106 by Michael Barnes
Oh, one more surprise-

The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
11 Jun 2018 14:27 #275111 by Michael Barnes
One more thing-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds