October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What books are you reading?

More
24 May 2015 23:28 - 24 May 2015 23:29 #202893 by stoic
I just finished Stephen R. Donaldson's scifi novel Chaos and Order. It was the part of his Gap Cycle based upon Wagner's opera the Ring Cycle . Though it was the 4th book in the series, I was able to jump right into the story. I haven't read the other books in the series and stumbled onto this one because some left it behind to pass along. The character development was striking. A character named Angus who is a cyborg space captain especially captured my attention.

Based upon a post that I read here on F:AT, I bought Neuromancer by Wiiliam Gibson. I've heard it described as both visionary and a masterpiece of literature. It's also said to be the cornerstone of the cyberpunk genre. I'm half way through it now. It lives up to its reputation and I'm enjoying it. I like to read more books in this genre.
Last edit: 24 May 2015 23:29 by stoic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2015 09:01 - 25 May 2015 09:01 #202896 by Black Barney
Didn't we have one of these threads going already?

I'm reading Turn Right, Turn Left, Repeat by Gern f. Vlchek.

A book about life on the road for the Canadian indie band. Covers all the big and small towns in Canada, where to eat and such. I'm having a blast reading it.
Last edit: 25 May 2015 09:01 by Black Barney.

More
25 May 2015 10:27 #202901 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic What books are you reading?

Black Barney wrote: Didn't we have one of these threads going already?

I'm reading Turn Right, Turn Left, Repeat by Gern f. Vlchek.

A book about life on the road for the Canadian indie band. Covers all the big and small towns in Canada, where to eat and such. I'm having a blast reading it.

Maybe, there is another thread, but, I can't find shit. Apologies.

I like the cover art on your book because it summarizes their experience: how starving (and sometimes drunk) musicians suffer for their art by sleeping in a crowded van until they get discovered….
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 May 2015 16:00 - 25 May 2015 16:00 #202915 by Not Sure
This is the old thread. <====

And by "old thread", I mean "started seven years ago". It's probably good to refresh once in a while.

Book thread needs more love. Currently I'm reading "Inverting the Pyramid" by Jonathan Wilson. Sounds like new-agery, but it's a lengthy look at the evolution of soccer tactics and formations over the last hundred years. Great stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.

As someone who once tried to get a 3-4-1 with diamond midfielders to work on my son's U11 9v9 team, I'm into that sort of thing.
Last edit: 25 May 2015 16:00 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
02 Jun 2015 22:31 #203291 by Gary Sax
Starting the Song of Ice and Fire books again this summer. But this time for work. I'm teaching a poli sci class using A Song of Ice and Fire as a thematic hook. I'm excited but I have a feeling they're going to disappoint me by not reading any of the assigned readings, like they usually do, which will be absolutely lethal in this class for getting it to work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, stoic

More
02 Jun 2015 22:43 #203294 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What books are you reading?
I am supposed to read THE SLEEPING GIANT for book club. Heard it was pretty good. Gotta track that down. I have a scad of apocalypse books from Humble Book Bundle. Anyone read any of these and have recommendations ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
02 Jun 2015 22:52 #203297 by hotseatgames
I'm currently reading The Dunwich Horror by H.P. Lovecraft.

Definitely one of his more messed up stories.

More
02 Jun 2015 23:25 #203299 by stoic

jeb wrote: I am supposed to read THE SLEEPING GIANT for book club. Heard it was pretty good. Gotta track that down. I have a scad of apocalypse books from Humble Book Bundle. Anyone read any of these and have recommendations ?

Do you have the link for the humble book bundle. Looks like an interesting list. The only one that I've previously read was Damnation Alley which was also a cool movie from the 70's--I remember giant scorpions and a cool off-road vehicle.

More
02 Jun 2015 23:28 #203300 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What books are you reading?

stoic wrote:

jeb wrote: I am supposed to read THE SLEEPING GIANT for book club. Heard it was pretty good. Gotta track that down. I have a scad of apocalypse books from Humble Book Bundle. Anyone read any of these and have recommendations ?

Do you have the link for the humble book bundle. Looks like an interesting list. The only one that I've previously read was Damnation Alley which was also a cool movie from the 70's--I remember giant scorpions and a cool off-road vehicle.

This was a bundle from April. It's got other stuff now, comics, looks like . Enjoy!

More
03 Jun 2015 09:29 #203315 by Shellhead
Last year, I re-read an old favorite: Infernal Devices, by K.W. Jeter. It was the first steampunk novel, right smack in the middle of the cyberpunk movement of the '80s, and the author actually coined the term steampunk. Now I am reading Fiendish Schemes, a sequel of very recent vintage. Somewhere in a recent thread here at F:AT, somebody cleverly observed that steampunk has become the Comic Sans of science-fiction. Jeter embraces that thinking and executes a savage takedown of the whole steampunk sub-genre. He takes steampunk to a ridiculous extreme and mocks it mercilessly. Not sure if there is much of a story here, but there are some good lines.

More
29 Nov 2015 20:09 #216121 by Sagrilarus
I just finished D Day Through German Eyes which is a series of interviews taken in 1946, from German soldiers on the Atlantic Wall in Normandy. It's $2.99 on Amazon right now, as is its sequel which I may read next.

It's odd to look at D Day from the German perspective after hearing the Allied side lionized for my entire life. But a couple of things are common to all the interviewees, one of which is the complete lack of German naval or air resources during the battle. D Day is seen as a huge struggle for the Allies against a heavily entrenched position, but truth be told the Allied Naval guns got to do what they wanted in preparation for the battle, and Allied air cover had their run of the place during the invasion. In a lot of ways the Germans were at a disadvantage in spite of having remarkably favored ground.

The other thing that came up in several interviews was the general view that Germany was defending Europe, not Germany, and that Europe wanted that. There were troops from several Eastern nations in German uniforms at the time, some of which were in Normandy. Granted the perspective they were speaking to came from Germany's Public Relations machine, but these were guys thinking they were fighting the good fight. One even made mention of seeing anger on the faces of British soldiers and wondering why, when Britain was the invading force.

A curious read.

Well worth the $2.99.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, wadenels, stoic

More
29 Nov 2015 20:31 #216122 by wadenels
I wonder, because thankfully I've never been in that position, whether your average troop rationalizes his position due to what he's told or due to the opposite being horrifying or some mix of both. I think it's probably both, but the psychology involved is intensely interesting to me.

More
29 Nov 2015 20:39 #216123 by Shellhead
I just finished reading This Is Not A Game, by Walter Jon Williams. Written six years ago, it is firmly grounded in actual current technology, even though Williams started out writing cyberpunk and generally writes some type of science-fiction. This was an excellent page-turner, with credible characters, an interesting story, and an unusual hook. I would recommend it to anybody, but especially Ubarose, as the protagonist is shares her particular interests in tech, performing arts, and gaming. I have just started reading the sequel, Deep State, but I haven't formed an opinion of it yet.

Williams is an interesting writer. He was part of Roger Zelazny's circle of writer friends in New Mexico, so he was one of the writers of the Wild Cards series, and also a player in the superhero rpg campaign that inspired it. He wrote a couple of the early cyberpunk novels, as well as a game supplement for the Cyberpunk rpg. Williams has some creative and even playful ideas in his stories, and also usually poses some interesting questions.

More
29 Nov 2015 20:46 #216124 by stoic
I picked up an Amazon Prime Kindle science fiction novel that's been better than expected since it started as a directly published ebook on Kindle. It's called Wool by Hugh Howey. It's about a post-apocalyptic/dystopian society living in an huge underground silo bunker.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silo_%28series%29

More
29 Nov 2015 23:46 #216132 by dave
Replied by dave on topic What books are you reading?
Wool has been on my reading list for quite a while...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.420 seconds