October 09, 2023
2617 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2811 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Next step on my way of becoming the incarnation of Anti-Americanism

More
26 Aug 2011 16:38 #102286 by ThirstyMan
But not menses because that would be messy....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2011 00:06 - 29 Aug 2011 00:07 #102401 by Schweig!

Hatchling wrote: SIMPLE SAUCE

1/2 cup Tamari
3 tbsp sesame oil
1.5 inch ginger root peeled and minced
4 tbsp lemon juice

Put everything in a saucepan, bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 mins. Remove from heat and let cool.

I have tried the simple sauce with a bowl of rice and red peppers. It was very good but a bit on the bitter side for my tastes. Did I do anything wrong or do I simply have to add a bit of sugar to it?
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 00:07 by Schweig!.

More
29 Aug 2011 00:38 #102403 by Hatchling
I don't find it too bitter. Maybe it's the Tamari sauce you are using. Maybe it's too much if its your only dressing (it's just intense soy sauce). I put a dollup of tahini sauce on brown rice, top with greens, and then drizzle a bit of simple sauce over everything. Either way, if you houserule the recipe to suit your tastes, let me now how it turns out and maybe I'll try it too.

More
29 Aug 2011 01:14 - 29 Aug 2011 01:15 #102405 by mjl1783
I am not a vegan, nor do I understand how or why it is anti-American to be one. I am, however, too goddamned broke to turn my nose up at soy, and this thread is making me hungry as well as motivated. I hope this recipe exchange becomes a regular thing.
Last edit: 29 Aug 2011 01:15 by mjl1783. Reason: None of your fucking business!

More
29 Aug 2011 16:30 #102426 by Schweig!

Hatchling wrote: I don't find it too bitter. Maybe it's the Tamari sauce you are using. Maybe it's too much if its your only dressing (it's just intense soy sauce). I put a dollup of tahini sauce on brown rice, top with greens, and then drizzle a bit of simple sauce over everything. Either way, if you houserule the recipe to suit your tastes, let me now how it turns out and maybe I'll try it too.

Yeah, I probably used too much, I put the whole of it over the bowl of rice. D'oh! You have to know I'm really inexperienced when it comes to cooking. (and many other things, too)

More
29 Aug 2011 17:05 #102428 by Schweig!

andyinkuwait wrote: Recipe for Kaiserschmarrn or whatever it was?

Sounds tasty......

Here's what I did:

Ingredients per serving:
125g (wheat) flour
2 tbsp soy flour
250 ml oat milk, preferably vanilla flavoured (if unavailable use a different grain milk)
some lemon juice
some salt

Stir everything into a dough.
Put some oil in a pan and heat, then pour the dough into the pan. You should use about as much dough as you would when making an omelette, i.e. for a medium sized pan and the ingredients for one serving, use about half the dough in one process.
Wait until the dough is slightly brown on the bottom, then cut in four pieces with a spatula and turn these over. Also let them become slightly brown, then cut into many small pieces. Add raisins or nuts (rasped) as preferred. Keep in the pan and turn until the dough is golden brown.
Take out of the pan, sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with apple sauce or any other fruit compote or fruit salad.

Note: The recipe won't work with milk and eggs. You'll get pancake dough instead. In fact I wanted to make pancakes initially but it turned out differently (and better).

More
30 Aug 2011 01:23 #102451 by dysjunct
A really simple and good side dish I've been throwing together:

1 bunch kale or chard
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice from 1/2 a lemon
a dozen kalamata olives, diced small
pinch of salt
a little olive oil
optional: 2 tablespoons of capers

Remove the stems from the greens and tear the leaves into manageable size. Rinse them but do not dry. Heat a skillet. Throw the leaves in and toss, letting the water from rinsing steam them soften them. Once the leaves are about halfway to bright green, throw in everything else. Toss/stir well, serve immediately.

More
30 Aug 2011 08:02 #102456 by ThirstyMan

Schweig! wrote:

andyinkuwait wrote: Recipe for Kaiserschmarrn or whatever it was?

Sounds tasty......

250 ml oat milk, preferably vanilla flavoured (if unavailable use a different grain milk)

).

What is Oat Milk? I think we have soy milk here but not oat milk. Soy flour? Maybe we have that but I'd need to check..is it common?

More
30 Aug 2011 11:47 #102459 by Schweig!
Soy flour serves just as an egg replacement. There are other options, too.
Oat milk is a milky liquid created out of oats. It's similar to soy milk, but I like the taste better. There are various other grain milks available, like rice milk for example.
Of course if it's too difficult to find the vegan ingredients you could always try the standard Kaiserschmarrn recipe. I'm not actively trying to convert anyone.

More
13 Nov 2011 16:39 #107872 by Schweig!
My newest creation are vegan sloppy joes - mmmh very tasty; and healthy unlike the real sloppy joes!

More
13 Nov 2011 19:51 - 13 Nov 2011 19:56 #107883 by Hatchling
I've been getting back into dehydrating these days so that I can make some snacks that I can grab and go when I'm in a rush. I'm really pleased with this recipe for Kale Flats I've settled on:

Kale Flats

1 big bunch of Kale (or 2+ small ones)
1 cup flax (get the golden kind... they look better)
1 good handful of sundried tomatoes (my store sells them in a bag and I use one bag)
sea salt
olive oil

Soak flax seeds in 2 cup of water for 20 mins (the flax will soak up most of the water). Soak tomotoes in water separately for 20 minutes. De-stem the kale. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Massage and mix the leaves for a few minutes (they will soften and release some water). Put the kale in a food processor in batches and blend well. Process the softened tomatoes. Process the flax. Mix everything together and spread about 1 cm thick on parchment papaper in a dehydrator and dehydrate until crispy (this will take 10-15 hours depending on how high you set the temperature...I'm not concerned that much about live food these days so I pump the temp up to 115 C or so). It is a bit of a hassle to make these, but it's great to be able to get a green fix when you're rushing and don't have time to eat healthy.

edit: if you don't have a dehydrator, just put it on cookie sheets with parch paper in the oven on the lowest setting and with the oven door ajar.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2011 19:56 by Hatchling.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds