October 09, 2023
2530 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

SOPA and the Fortress

More
18 Jan 2012 16:19 #113287 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress
If you guys really want to be effective, be sure to write a snail mail instead of snapping off a quick e-mail or online signing a petition. Remember that opposing something and contacting your representative is all about the costliness of your signal---the more costly the signal, the more politicians will react to it. Thus internet petition vs. e-mail vs. trying to get an in person interview. If you send a costly signal like sending a letter, they know you're far more likely to do something about it come election time, talk to your friends, etc and they usually don't want to get behind issues like that. Especially House members.

Reps can be very sensitive to constituents (to a lesser extent senators), so it's worthwhile to do it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2012 16:30 #113289 by Disgustipater

Jur wrote: I noticed bgg is down in protest and I think that's a good thing to raise awareness.

It's not actually down. You can click on through at the bottom.

In other news, the MPAA Chairman calls the blackouts an abuse of power:

It is an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on them for information and use their services. It is also an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It's a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests.

mpaa.org/resources/c4c3712a-7b9f-4be8-bd70-25527d5dfad8.pdf

More
18 Jan 2012 16:41 #113290 by daveroswell
Thanks to every F:AT moderator for not doing some silly blackout front page for SOPA. I'm too tired and important to get through that. :)

More
18 Jan 2012 17:11 #113293 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress
The MPAA Chairman can suck my motherfucking dick right off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
18 Jan 2012 17:25 #113296 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress
From The Oatmeal (who gave permission to anyone who wants to use it). This kind of sums up how I feel and why it is worrisome to me and for F:AT.

More
18 Jan 2012 17:45 #113298 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress

Disgustipater wrote:

Jur wrote: I noticed bgg is down in protest and I think that's a good thing to raise awareness.

It's not actually down. You can click on through at the bottom.

In other news, the MPAA Chairman calls the blackouts an abuse of power:

It is an irresponsible response and a disservice to people who rely on them for information and use their services. It is also an abuse of power given the freedoms these companies enjoy in the marketplace today. It's a dangerous and troubling development when the platforms that serve as gateways to information intentionally skew the facts to incite their users in order to further their corporate interests.

mpaa.org/resources/c4c3712a-7b9f-4be8-bd70-25527d5dfad8.pdf

THE MPAA CAN BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS.

More
18 Jan 2012 19:23 #113301 by Nagajur
Replied by Nagajur on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress
Uba, I think that Oatmeal animated gif needed "Do it for Jesus" in there somewhere. Well, at least I expected it.

More
18 Jan 2012 20:05 #113309 by SuperflyPete

Ken B. wrote: The MPAA Chairman can suck my motherfucking dick right off.

Ken, you're brave. I mean, you could've said that about some Anti-Piracy wankers, but telling the Chairman of the Miniscule Penis Appreciation Association to suck your dick right off....that took some balls.

LOL

More
18 Jan 2012 20:25 - 18 Jan 2012 20:27 #113313 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress

Ken B. wrote: Fortunately for all of us, President Obama has already said that even if this shit makes it through, he will veto it in its current form. Proof positive that voting matters, kids.

He said the same thing about the NDAA Martial law bill and still signed it. It needs to be killed or significantly reworked...in the House or the Senate.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2012 20:27 by mikecl.

More
18 Jan 2012 20:40 - 18 Jan 2012 20:41 #113319 by mikecl

repoman wrote: As with any loss of freedom, it starts small and slow and before you know it, it's gone.

All such "incrimentalism" should be fought tooth and nail.

This instance may be cloaked in the idea of protecting "corporations" but don't be fooled that they are the villains or really the beneficiaries of this. Your friends in government are the ones that gain when they get to control the flow of ideas.

That's a fact...Here in British Columbia Canada they brought in a law entitled the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act. More than 10 years later everyone realizes guess what? It wasn't about freedom of information at all. It was about privacy and the privacy provisions are being used to kill freedom of information requests.

There's usually a hidden agenda and if you're not paying attention, you get screwed.
Last edit: 18 Jan 2012 20:41 by mikecl.

More
20 Jan 2012 10:08 #113484 by Matt Thrower
I just read this absolutely brilliant scientific & mathematical deconstruction of the copyright industries figures on loss due to piracy:

www.cato-at-liberty.org/how-copyright-industries-con-congress/

Aside from the fact - that I suspect everyone with half a brain already guessed - that the figures suggested are vastly inflated, there are two important conclusions:

* Approximately 80% of downloaded music is not lost sales, but material the downloader would not otherwise have purchased.

* Sales lost to piracy hurt the media industry but the net loss to the overall economy is zero, as pirates spend it on other things.

More
20 Jan 2012 16:24 #113502 by SuperflyPete
You chaps will LOVE THIS:

www.vice.com/read/pipa-supporters-copyright-violations

The senators who are all about SOPA are in violation of SOPA. Fucking LOVE IT!

More
20 Jan 2012 16:44 #113504 by mikecl
That's because the laws don't apply to them. They don't care. They're rich enough to pay the fines and keep on doing whatever the hell they want.

More
20 Jan 2012 17:04 #113506 by Sagrilarus

MattDP wrote: * Sales lost to piracy hurt the media industry but the net loss to the overall economy is zero, as pirates spend it on other things.

So there's no loss to the economy when financial incentive is removed from innovation?

I don't have an issue with the protection of copyright, it's the collateral damage that is really the issue here.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
20 Jan 2012 17:13 #113508 by san il defanso

Sagrilarus wrote:

MattDP wrote: * Sales lost to piracy hurt the media industry but the net loss to the overall economy is zero, as pirates spend it on other things.

So there's no loss to the economy when financial incentive is removed from innovation?

I don't have an issue with the protection of copyright, it's the collateral damage that is really the issue here.

S.

I think most people agree with this. This bill is entirely made up of collateral damage, and probably won't accomplish anything it actually wants to do.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.266 seconds