October 09, 2023
2526 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

SOPA and the Fortress

More
21 Jan 2012 11:53 #113644 by mrmarcus
Replied by mrmarcus on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress

San Il Defanso wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:
So there's no loss to the economy when financial incentive is removed from innovation?

I don't have an issue with the protection of copyright, it's the collateral damage that is really the issue here.

S.

I think most people agree with this. This bill is entirely made up of collateral damage, and probably won't accomplish anything it actually wants to do.

No I think it will do exactly what THEY want it to. They're just lying about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2012 13:12 - 21 Jan 2012 13:35 #113648 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress
Few decades from now there will be no more products per se and hardly any production in the classic sense of the word (transformation of raw material into goods). As such, capitalism is doomed. Even today a lot more profit is made by dealing with virtual products (speculation). Capitalism's last gasps for air, a foretaste of which these acts are, are going to be very bad for the people, their well-being and their cultural or intellectual enrichment. I hope the transition to a society where all intellectual property is collectively shared and the entirety of its creators, not just those who hold the distribution rights, benefit richly from developing their "product", as do the people who "consume" it, can be passed smoothly. Otherwise here's what the future society will look like:

1) A large base of useless and impoverished people
2) A small percentage of specialized labourers in agricultural and industrial complexes, whose wealth is determined by how rare their skills are
3) (Provided higher education is still a common good) A slightly larger percentage of intellectual workers, who, since they'll exist in ample quantities, will largely be poor (=bohemians)
4) A selected few who share leadership posts in economy, politics, etc. amongst themselves and who, in order to get to the top, learnt to be ruthless, selfish and greedy

I hope I can make it into the 3rd category. I'm too weak-minded for the 4th and too lazy for the 2nd. Otherwise I'll be in the 1st, which isn't too bad since I won't breed and can therefore live the rest of my live halfway decent on the mediocre wealth of my parents.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2012 13:35 by Schweig!.

More
21 Jan 2012 14:15 #113651 by Bullwinkle
Your hat's made of shit, Schweig, not tin foil.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor

More
21 Jan 2012 15:23 #113653 by Schweig!
You're a moose, what do you know?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bullwinkle

More
21 Jan 2012 15:27 #113654 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress
schweig, seriously buddy what the fuck are you on about? even though I think your simplistic conclusions are very unlikely to pan out that way, they fucking certainly well won't be happening in your lifetime so I wouldn't sweat it too much

More
21 Jan 2012 15:49 #113658 by Schweig!
Well, I warned you.

More
21 Jan 2012 16:07 - 21 Jan 2012 16:08 #113660 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress
I don't need warning, I've probably got a much more despairing and bleak vision of how the future will unfold than even you might do, but I'm pretty sure it won't make that much of a difference to those in my generation, and I'm only a couple of decades away from wearing a mac, whipping out my cock to young girls in bus stops, pissing in the local store and being arrested for shoplifting and getting away with it because I'm clinically senile. haha
Last edit: 21 Jan 2012 16:08 by bomber.

More
21 Jan 2012 16:58 #113661 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress

ldsdbomber wrote: schweig, seriously buddy what the fuck are you on about? even though I think your simplistic conclusions are very unlikely to pan out that way, they fucking certainly well won't be happening in your lifetime so I wouldn't sweat it too much

His view isn't too far off from the Objectivist horseshit that Ayn Rand peddled to her slavering acolytes (like Alan Greespan) here in the US. *shrug*

More
21 Jan 2012 17:40 #113664 by Notahandle
Schweig!: You'll end up in the 2nd category when all the German industrial complexes are turned over to the production of cubes.

More
07 Feb 2012 16:22 #115533 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: SOPA and the Fortress
Anyone want to bring some knowledge to the White House on this front?

Thank you for RSVP’ing to the follow-up conference call regarding a petition you signed on the We the People platform asking the Obama administration to protect an open and innovative Internet.

Please join us this afternoon us for a conversation with Aneesh Chopra, U.S. Chief Technology Officer, Howard Schmidt, Special Assistant to the President and Cybersecurity Coordinator for National Security Staff, and Danny Weitzner, Deputy Chief Technology Officer for Internet Policy, to discuss this issue and hear your ideas on how to move forward.

Here are your call-in details: [[redacted]

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds