October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
15 Sep 2021 19:21 - 15 Sep 2021 19:24 #326538 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic Coronavirus
Just got back from the my wife's once every 2 to 3 year family gatherings - Big houses in a resort community - Lots of room for distancing, meals were done out in open air patios, etc - All but 2 members vaccinated ( THe younger 20ish brothers) I wasn't excited about going, but with the 21 year old leaving for college the same weekend there was no way I was going to tell my wife no.

Anyhoo, one of the youngers lost his sense of smell the day after returning from the trip, got tested,and tested positive. So my wife, myself (both vaccinated) and the 5 year old will be quarantined until we can test on Monday. I'm glad I work for myself and can do everything from home or a closed office. Most of the rest of her family is in a spot where they have PTO for days and its not a financial hardship.

Strangely, the family member that is an RN (vaccinated) does not have the option of quarantine and instead has been asked to continue working in the ICU, as long as her daily tests come up negative. I'm sure this has to do with the fact that she works in the county hospital that is getting crushed and made national news for having a COVID patient die in the waiting room in the E.R because they were so backed up. They have since deployed the National Guard and set up a field hospital.

This is our second round of quarantine this year. I'm not burned out or frustrated by it. I'm sort of resigned that this is probably going to be the sort of thing that we are going to have do deal with periodically for a couple of years.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2021 19:24 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames, sornars, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2021 22:38 #326542 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
Talked about the date tonight and she pushed for a different location. Turns out that she is just as worried about crime in Minneapolis as the pandemic. So we're going to a place in an upper middle class neighborhood that has a smaller patio and will only take reservations for inside the building. There are a few other restaurants within a block, so maybe we can just show up and see which one has the shortest wait. There is a lake two blocks away, so take-out might be the way to go. They follow indoor seating guidelines established by the CDC, but that is less important than how their HVAC system works. With the wrong kind of system, the HVAC can readily spread the virus from table to table even if there are six foot gaps between tables.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
16 Sep 2021 09:49 #326548 by Shellhead
Everybody was skeptical when Russia announced their successful clinical trials for their Sputnik V vaccine in August 2020. And their Covid stats always looked suspicious, with 1/10th the mortality rate that other countries were experiencing. And now it looks like Sputnik V might worthless:

www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/putin-dozen...ilsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

Not a good look when the virus is running rampant through the top leadership of your country. In addition, the World Health Organization has suspended approval for Sputnik V after a factory failed an inspection:

www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/09/15/who-su...ring-breaches-a75058

More
16 Sep 2021 13:41 #326555 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus

Shellhead wrote: Everybody was skeptical when Russia announced their successful clinical trials for their Sputnik V vaccine in August 2020. And their Covid stats always looked suspicious, with 1/10th the mortality rate that other countries were experiencing. And now it looks like Sputnik V might worthless:

www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/putin-dozen...ilsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

Not a good look when the virus is running rampant through the top leadership of your country. In addition, the World Health Organization has suspended approval for Sputnik V after a factory failed an inspection:

www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/09/15/who-su...ring-breaches-a75058

I'm shocked, shocked, to find that gambling is going on in here!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, n815e

More
16 Sep 2021 13:54 #326556 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Coronavirus
Gencon today

Could not retrieve bearer token (consumer)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Ancient_of_MuMu, n815e

More
16 Sep 2021 14:02 #326557 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus

Ah_Pook wrote: Gencon today

Holy fucking shit!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Msample, Ancient_of_MuMu, birdman37, Ah_Pook, n815e

More
16 Sep 2021 14:23 - 16 Sep 2021 14:29 #326558 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus
Yeah, I've been reading a thread on it for the last couple of days. There was lax mask usage on the Vendor Day yesterday (including staff), and when the one woman complained they said, we aren't going to enforce it until the Con actually starts. Because viruses only spread during business hours. So that crowd is due to be enforced today.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2021 14:29 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
16 Sep 2021 14:53 #326559 by Shellhead

Ah_Pook wrote: Gencon today

Factor in the usual lack of fanboy hygiene at GenCon and that is one giant petri dish of potential virus. I know somebody who is working at GenCon this year who has a an autoimmune disease, and now I am worried about them.

More
16 Sep 2021 15:00 #326560 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote: Yeah, I've been reading a thread on it for the last couple of days. There was lax mask usage on the Vendor Day yesterday (including staff), and when the one woman complained they said, we aren't going to enforce it until the Con actually starts. Because viruses only spread during business hours. So that crowd is due to be enforced today.

A big problem with the pandemic response is that a lot of people decide what they want to do first, and then hand-wave away inconvenient facts that might block what they want.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Ancient_of_MuMu, n815e

More
16 Sep 2021 15:10 #326561 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: A big problem with the pandemic response is that a lot of people decide what they want to do first, and then hand-wave away inconvenient facts that might block what they want.

Exactly. If it was a guy with a shotgun, who, frankly would kill less people, everyone on that floor would be in a panic to bug out of there. But since you can't see it, can't feel it, you can repress your good judgement because it interferes with what you want to do. "I need my complimentary tote bag."

More
16 Sep 2021 15:49 #326562 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus
I feel like I'm living on a different planet when I see pictures like this. CT is 75% vaccinated. Masks are required pretty much everywhere. I carry my vaccination record with me because so many places require it for entry. Even the dude that scrounges around for returnable cans in the trash barrels outside my office building wears a mask (I gave him a couple spare masks along with a bag of cans last time I saw him).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Nodens, n815e

More
16 Sep 2021 15:58 #326563 by Shellhead
I grew up in Indianapolis, so a fair amount of my Facebook feed comes from friends still living there. Even before GenCon, Indy was experiencing a significant surge in Covid. Politically, there are a lot of Trump supporters there, so there is high resistance to masking, social distancing, and vaccinating. Here is their state dashboard for Covid data:

www.coronavirus.in.gov/2393.htm

More
16 Sep 2021 16:38 #326566 by Sagrilarus
Last time I drove through Indiana there was a billboard that said, "If you're not Christian you're going to hell". I thought that summarized the state pretty well.

More
16 Sep 2021 16:57 #326568 by Shellhead
Indiana was okay when I was growing up there, but has gotten worse as the Republican Party has gone off the deep end. Even when I lived there, there was a lot of handwringing in certain circles about The Brain Drain. Indiana has a surprising number of quality universities, and a large majority of the graduates leave Indiana as soon as they graduate.

More
16 Sep 2021 18:18 - 16 Sep 2021 18:23 #326572 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Coronavirus
Those of us from the Great Lakes all know that Indiana is our Alabama.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2021 18:23 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Msample, Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.591 seconds