October 09, 2023
2635 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2825 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Coronavirus

More
01 May 2020 15:26 #309854 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Coronavirus
For most of my life, the presidency switches between the two major parties every 8 years, like a slow pendulum. Republican presidents like to give big tax cuts to rich people, under the assumption that will somehow benefit everybody else. But the rich keep getting richer, and everybody else has experienced stagnant wages for over 20 years now, after adjusting for inflation. It used to be that a college education was the entry ticket to becoming middle class or better, but the cost of that college education has become a heavy burden on graduates. Many millennials have had to delay home ownership and starting a family by a decade or more, and subsequent generations may face an even worse choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2020 19:30 #309859 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Coronavirus
Had my first sit down meal at a restaurant today! Wait staff were masked and gloved and most of the tables were gone, but at least the place was up and running again. Felt weird, it's odd how just a few weeks of isolation can make what was once routine seem strange. Still, the beer was cold and the food warm! I figure it will be many a moon before large venues like concerts and games open up but it's nice to see the relatively low volume places get a chance to live again with common sense precautions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, hotseatgames

More
01 May 2020 20:51 - 01 May 2020 20:53 #309860 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Coronavirus

ubarose wrote: It's almost as if the "American Way of Life" is dependent upon a perpetually impoverished under class, whom we revile while idolizing our over lords and buying into the myth of class mobility in an attempt to resolve our cognitive dissonance and assuage our middle class guilt. Resulting in a society that is 2 paychecks away from anomie.

You forgot to work "merit-based" in.
Last edit: 01 May 2020 20:53 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
01 May 2020 23:24 #309862 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Coronavirus

Sagrilarus wrote:

ubarose wrote: It's almost as if the "American Way of Life" is dependent upon a perpetually impoverished under class, whom we revile while idolizing our over lords and buying into the myth of class mobility in an attempt to resolve our cognitive dissonance and assuage our middle class guilt. Resulting in a society that is 2 paychecks away from anomie.

You forgot to work "merit-based" in.

“Merit-based” is implied in our reviling and idolizing, both of which we must believe is merited.

More
02 May 2020 02:11 - 02 May 2020 03:30 #309863 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus
Can someone tell me how to insert a jpg into my comments.

I have the jpg on my PC
Last edit: 02 May 2020 03:30 by ThirstyMan.

More
02 May 2020 04:17 #309864 by ubarose
Use the add files button at the bottom of the Editor. After they upload, click insert.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
02 May 2020 04:57 - 02 May 2020 06:14 #309865 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Coronavirus
Kuwait gears up

Here is a photo of a drive in testing centre just built. There will be a total of 3 lanes when ready.

2 lanes for the rapid and swab test if you do not have a fever.
1 lane for the full test if you have a fever or if your swab test showed something wrong.

You can have 4 people max per car and they will be able to process up to 100 cars per hour at this location.

Positive tests get referred to the hospital immediately

Hospitals are free in this country.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 May 2020 06:14 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, n815e

More
02 May 2020 19:53 #309869 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Coronavirus
My cousin's wife is a nurse. She told us a couple of weeks ago that all she does now is work on coronavirus patients.

Cut to yesterday-- she invites us over for dinner.

WTF?

We're in Houston, so it's not as bad as NY. Our idiot governor decided to open things back up, but most sensible people are still staying home. Regardless of how safe she feels, why on earth would she think we would feel comfortable having dinner with her? It's the weirdest thing.

I felt bad for turning her down, because I'd genuinely love to see them. But how could she not understand that having dinner with someone who has direct contact with the virus on nearly a daily basis would not be enticing?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, cdennett, BillyBobThwarton, n815e

More
02 May 2020 20:37 #309870 by jason10mm
Replied by jason10mm on topic Coronavirus
My guess would be that after weeks of dealing with COVID patients she figures that either she has been exposed and is now immune or that the PPE measures are working and she is not a pariah due to her job. Just a guess.

More
02 May 2020 21:41 #309872 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus
QUARANTINE SKILL ACQUISITION CHECK-IN

I was really looking forward to honing my ukulele chops but my wife made me put my uke in the back office after two days. Sigh.

So instead I am working on:

- Beard growth. A lot more gray in that SOB than I remember from last time I was on a hirsute kick.

- Lifting weights. Slowly getting to 1.5xbodyweight for my squat, and 2x for my deadlift. Not impressive for young dudes and/or juicers, but for a middle-aged natty it feels good.

- Card tricks. Do you want to feel like Houdini? Then learn some tricks on YouTube and show them to a kindergartner you are quarantined with. Blows their lil’ minds no matter how sloppy you are. Unexpected bonus: makes you feel marginally better about the insufferability of board game nerds; their damage cannot remotely compare to the broken psyches of magic nerds. I suspect it’s due to the longer history and subcultural secrecy of the conjuring trade — attracts more people who need to feel superior. I guess it’s better than getting into 5g conspiracy theories.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
02 May 2020 23:46 - 02 May 2020 23:47 #309873 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Coronavirus
Ukulele is not a crime!
Last edit: 02 May 2020 23:47 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, dysjunct, jpat, n815e

More
03 May 2020 00:49 #309874 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Coronavirus

Not Sure wrote: Ukulele is not a crime!

I keep trying to tell her this; she points out, annoyingly, that many things are not crimes but could be irreconcilable differences.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Not Sure, n815e

More
03 May 2020 00:55 #309875 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Coronavirus

Not Sure wrote: Ukulele is not a crime!

The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
03 May 2020 17:11 - 03 May 2020 17:12 #309881 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Coronavirus

jason10mm wrote: My guess would be that after weeks of dealing with COVID patients she figures that either she has been exposed and is now immune or that the PPE measures are working and she is not a pariah due to her job. Just a guess.

Thanks for your thoughts. She has said that she feels safer at the hospital than she does at the grocery store (which almost begs another question).

But it doesn't really matter if she's immune if she can still spread it. I did worry that I was being a jerk by refusing, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Yeah, I don't want to treat her like a leper because she works with virus patients, but I also don't see how adding another vector to the equation helps anyone.
Last edit: 03 May 2020 17:12 by Gregarius.

More
04 May 2020 00:39 - 04 May 2020 00:40 #309889 by ubarose
I spoke to my neighbor and dear friend f2f today, shouting across her lawn from several yards away. She said since she still has to go into work twice a week that she is a vector and for us to keep our distance. I was so thankful that she came right out and said that. It made everything so much more relaxed and comfortable, and I didn’t feel rude standing in the street. We had a really nice chat. Even with being able to text and phone people I miss my friends.
Last edit: 04 May 2020 00:40 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.347 seconds