October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2717 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Whatever happened to...?

More
16 Feb 2011 14:21 #88125 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Re:Whatever happened to...?
What...no love for Branygan?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2011 14:29 #88127 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Whatever happened to...?
Stephen Avery wrote:

I regularly keep up with A Strange Aeon and he is planning on coming to Trashfest. He is a really interesting guy whose tastes in games mirrors my own. I make a point of hanging out with him at Origins. After a long stint of unemployment he finally got a job.

I'm going to pick a fight with Tom Hancock next time I see him just so he'll come back.

Steve"GutterTrash"Avery

Glad to hear the good news about Strange Aeon. Tell him I miss him and wish we could play together again. His brother too.

More
16 Feb 2011 15:37 #88132 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Wolvendancer proposed a couple of trades with me in January on BGG so he is still alive and playing Ameritrash games.

More
16 Feb 2011 15:38 #88133 by TheDukester
ubarose wrote:

Dukester's personal blog is Blogmic Encounter , but he hasn't been keeping up with it - new job and two small children. He's also one of the big dogs at Cosmic Online.

Ha! In the old days, I was a pretty constant presence at CE Online ... not so much any longer.

And, yes, the blog has been almost entirely dormant. It makes me sad, although I have a few ideas for new posts.

I've lurked at least once a week here. In fact, I've picked up some good tips from the "iOS games" thread, so thanks to everyone who posted a good find there. That's where most of my gaming is happening now: iPad, iPhone, Memoir 44 Online, etc. As you mentioned, new job, new(-ish) children, and zero time for set-up, tear-down, and rules interpretation.

Things appear to be smoothing out a bit, so I'd like to think I can get back into some of the things I enjoyed in my previous life (CE Online, posting a bit at gaming sites, etc.).

As for my break here ("We ... were ... on ... A BREAK!"), it was a conscious decision following a bit of drama. Like all internet dramas, the whole thing seems monumentally stupid a few months later. The less said, the better.

More
16 Feb 2011 15:44 #88134 by TheDukester
SanIlDefanso wrote:

However, I don't think I've ever come closer to having words with someone on this site as I did with him on the Lost thread several months ago.

You know what the very definition of "uncool" is? Taking a bunch of time off, then coming back and double-posting!

Anyway, as I mentioned above, I'm ashamed of some of the internet dramas I've gotten caught up in. While I'm still disappointed in LOST in a general sense, I will at least hope that I didn't make our argument personal. If it did get personal, then I offer an apology. (Sorry, don't remember the specifics ... which might be for the best).

More
16 Feb 2011 15:47 #88135 by san il defanso
TheDukester wrote:

SanIlDefanso wrote:

However, I don't think I've ever come closer to having words with someone on this site as I did with him on the Lost thread several months ago.

You know what the very definition of "uncool" is? Taking a bunch of time off, then coming back and double-posting!

Anyway, as I mentioned above, I'm ashamed of some of the internet dramas I've gotten caught up in. While I'm still disappointed in LOST in a general sense, I will at least hope that I didn't make our argument personal. If it did get personal, then I offer an apology. (Sorry, don't remember the specifics ... which might be for the best).

Ha, no worries dude. Just hoping you didn't drop out because of that.

I LOVE the work you do with Cosmic, so it's a shame we don't see more of you around here. I totally understand needing a break though. It's easy to get caught up in stuff, just know that you are missed.

More
16 Feb 2011 16:49 - 16 Feb 2011 17:06 #88147 by iguanaDitty
ubarose wrote:

Glad to hear the good news about Strange Aeon. Tell him I miss him and wish we could play together again. His brother too.

Ditto this please. Some great times with him at various conventions over the years.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2011 17:06 by ubarose.

More
16 Feb 2011 19:36 #88172 by Ryan B.
Replied by Ryan B. on topic Re:Whatever happened to...?
Feel the love in the room.

More
16 Feb 2011 19:44 #88173 by Ancient_of_MuMu
In my post on the "What do you know about FATties?" thread I alluded to the fact that all flame wars here were a weird version of foreplay.

More
16 Feb 2011 20:12 #88179 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:Whatever happened to...?
Ancient_of_MuMu wrote:

In my post on the "What do you know about FATties?" thread I alluded to the fact that all flame wars here were a weird version of foreplay.

Establishing dominance. AT games and therefore the Fort attracts alpha dogs. It's totally hot, but we sometimes get the virtual equivalent of flipping the board.

More
16 Feb 2011 21:01 #88183 by Stephen Avery
Ha! nice. I want to flip the virtual board!!

Steve"so not an alpha dog"Avery

More
16 Feb 2011 21:38 #88185 by Ryan B.
Replied by Ryan B. on topic Re:Whatever happened to...?
ubarose wrote:

Establishing dominance. AT games and therefore the Fort attracts alpha dogs. It's totally hot, but we sometimes get the virtual equivalent of flipping the board.

The Fort is more honest and transparent about its discourse and allows for disagreement and diversity of opinions. That's what is attractive about it.

More
16 Feb 2011 22:41 #88192 by MattFantastic
TheDukester wrote:

("We ... were ... on ... A BREAK!"),

-10 AT points for a Friends reference.

But I lose 50 for catching it...

More
16 Feb 2011 22:44 - 16 Feb 2011 22:45 #88193 by Josh Look
Tom Hancock is actually who directed me here from BGG.

Pretty sure wolvendancer left us. I've seen him on BGG complaining about Labyrinth. I don't miss him.
Last edit: 16 Feb 2011 22:45 by Josh Look.

More
16 Feb 2011 23:03 #88197 by Dogmatix
TheDukester wrote:

Pfft. As a disinterested observer (thanks to having never been interested in Lost) on the various forums I frequent, I have seen more board meltdowns in threads relating to Lost than almost any other topic, including college football. That kind of says something as college football [of the U.S. variety] seems to bring out an unexpected degree of insanity from the deep recesses of the mind. Honestly, nothing could beat Lost's ability to bring out the internet drama on a web forum--and no type of community was immune as far as I could tell--ice hockey, board or video games, books, cooking, travel...whatever...it just didn't matter when it came to Lost partizan wars.

For me, though, the best madness could be found on the Widespread Panic fanboards thanks to Lost's original timeslot. Its long-standing slot on Wednesday nights seemed to coincide just perfectly with the bottoming out of serotonin levels in folks who incorporated significant amounts of Ecstasy (or any of the MDMA relatives that float around out there) into their Thursday->Sunday party activities around a weekend run of 2-4 Panic shows somewhere around the country.

It was like clockwork thanks to an "E-hangover" needing a couple of days to truly hit. You absolutely could tell who had partied a little too hard over the weekend when they hit the board Wednesday AM in a snit over some insignificant happening at work. Then, over the course of the day, you could monitor the bitchiness factor increasing all day. Then, when someone inevtiably started a Lost conversation thread [with spoilers, natch], they'd reappear on the board at midnight all pissed off that someone "deliberately spoiled" the episode they missed while crashed out on the couch. Fireworks would then, of course, ensue--and then end with a spectacular burst of Fuck-Yous all 'round. I truly looked forward to those mid-week board meltdowns. (It was also an object lesson in either the potential backlash of recreational use of mood altering drugs OR in the need to at least be smart enough to stay away from a keyboard or telephone during that 36-hour "brain happy juice" low. But, well, I guess that *is* why they call it "dope".

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds