October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Digging up the trash: Judge Dredd

More
21 Feb 2016 22:02 #222956 by JMcL63

Published by Games Workshop in 1982, Judge Dredd was the first in a series of cross-media adaptions of 2000AD comic strips into tabletop games- boardgames and an rpg, projects that were to have significant impacts on the aesthetics of their two main miniatures brands, but most iconically WH40K.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Mr. White

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2016 22:38 #222957 by evilgit
Yep, this one got a lot of play in our group in the mid to late 80s. The Judge Dredd universe had so much going on that was rarely captured outside the comics. Not sure why but the Robodogs card was always a favorite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63

More
22 Feb 2016 13:21 - 22 Feb 2016 13:23 #222981 by Mr. White
This game is awesome. Still the best superhero game ever designed. In fact, I think superhero games are still following pretty much the same formula...a crime is going on in a location, move your hero(es) there to bust the perp. This one has the bonus of having a fantastic setting, amazing art, and ease of play. Marvel Heroes, also a great game, is like a much more complicated version of this.

I've had two copies. One back in the day that I sold off during my GW purge in the mid 00's. Then a copy a few years ago that I made some alternate heroes for. I realized my old group that would play this, now having kids and such, don't meet as often to play these sorts of games. When we can get together it's for some minis game as that is our first priority. Plus, the characters are to foreign for my kids at this point...besides we have Heroscape and Dungeon! that they already love (and now Pokemon Master Trainer). Moved that copy on to Wade here at the Fort.

Great game though and when I pulled it out at the last convention I went to a lot of folks stopped by asking if it was a new title (condition was fantastic). C'mon...it's Dredd!

Anyway, here's a photo from my last copy (snipped from BGG) with heroclix minis used as player pawns. You can see I added some Dark Judges as well.

Also one of those variant heroes I made:

What was the name of that cereal you play on an opponent's judge? I loved that card...
Last edit: 22 Feb 2016 13:23 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, wadenels

More
22 Feb 2016 16:28 #223010 by metalface13
Somebody has a new avatar ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JMcL63, Mr. White

More
22 Feb 2016 20:29 - 22 Feb 2016 20:30 #223019 by wadenels
Still playing the copy I got from Jeff, and having a blast every time we play it. I'm leery of the idea of a new edition because there's really nothing that should be added or taken away from this game mechanics-wise, and I just can't see a company doing a straight reprint with all the original artwork. It's a great solid core that doesn't need to be modified, and the artwork seals the deal.

A good number of games that have come out since, some of which get a lot of praise, are really just Judge Dredd with a twist. None of them are as good as Judge Dredd, even all these years later.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2016 20:30 by wadenels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, JMcL63, Mr. White

More
22 Feb 2016 21:28 #223020 by Mr. White
I totally agree.

JD is perfect as it is. Not sure why I made all those variant characters on one use cards. Maybe just for kicks? Maybe I was bit by the variable player power bug? I think I even had minis for all those other characters as well. I don't remember.

As it was we just used those 2000ad minis instead of the pawns. That was usually the extent of pimping and tweaking we actually played.

More
22 Feb 2016 21:37 #223021 by JMcL63
I guess I should've said new printing instead of new "edition" just to be quite clear that I too think that this perfect little game doesn't need a design makeover. A production upgrade would be nice though. Either way, it would just be great to see this game on sale again.

More
22 Feb 2016 21:39 #223022 by Mr. White
What's that cereal card?

or have I lost my mind?

More
22 Feb 2016 21:41 #223023 by Mr. White

metalface13 wrote: Somebody has a new avatar ;)

Looks good too, thanks!

I'm a little leery of playing Orcs at both tourneys, but I'm really into this team at the moment.

Oh, I'll be doing my Bret Humans at ROT Cup in April. I'll need your services...

More
23 Feb 2016 19:33 #223107 by JMcL63

Mr. White wrote: What's that cereal card?

or have I lost my mind?

It's plasti-flakes with synthi-lix causing chronic indigestion. I had 2 personal favourite finks: the Edwin Parsey card, with it's inevitable refrain of "Oh no judge, it was me"; and the trick of using a judge card to stop someone Barneying themselves to a choice location- often the Grand Hall of Justice, but also sometimes just to stop someone making a quick getaway when they find themselves completely outgunned by a perp.

I finally picked up my own copy off of eBay a few years ago. It's seen 8 plays in that time- ie. once in a blue moon, but my current gaming group seem to find it just a bit too cut-throat for their liking (I can still remember the shocked look on one guy's face the first time he experienced the full onslaught of the game's finkery). Judge Dredd remains one of my keepers all the same. I'll get it to the table again sometime.

More
24 Feb 2016 09:07 #223137 by Columbob

JMcL63 wrote: It's plasti-flakes with synthi-lix

Sounds delicious. Chemical composition of margarine is something like one molecule away from plastic, so maybe this is similar.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds