October 09, 2023
2521 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

FEROX Review

More
01 Mar 2016 16:45 #223583 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic FEROX Review

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'm with Frank, after consideration. Putting all your peeps out has virtually no negative consequence, but creates a situation where you can always attack with your best guys.

I think you're wrong, but I'm not positive and haven't played this game too much (just twice so far).

If you have all of your guys out I can fill up the first card/encounter with entirely Red. That's what my strategy would be.

By the end of the second card you'd be out of Red I think and maybe down a yellow or two. You'd be out of yellow a little over halfway through the game.

So now you have Green and Blue and any time you draft a card allowing three or more tribes to attack or influencing tribes with less than full dice etc. the strength of the card is greatly reduced.

I think you'd need to evaluate the situational strength of cards in relation to having lost all of your strongest color to properly make this evaluation. I think you'd find the cost could be severe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2016 17:28 #223588 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic FEROX Review
Yeah, having only to rely on the blues and greens for attacking means having to risk a higher chance of them fleeing.

The other thing to remember is that the Film Crew player, on the turn they finish the encounter, can continue to attack with any remaining characters even after the card has been filled. The Native player could lose a lot more on those extra attacks. That I've seen more than a couple of times.

More
01 Mar 2016 17:29 #223589 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic FEROX Review
I'm seeing The Nephew in a couple days. I'll try this out to see what happens and report back.

More
01 Mar 2016 20:33 #223596 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic FEROX Review

charlest wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: I'm with Frank, after consideration. Putting all your peeps out has virtually no negative consequence, but creates a situation where you can always attack with your best guys.

I think you're wrong, but I'm not positive and haven't played this game too much (just twice so far).

If you have all of your guys out I can fill up the first card/encounter with entirely Red. That's what my strategy would be.

I could very well be wrong, to be sure. But...because the draft is random (mostly) you may not get attack cards where I get "attack w/4 tribes", early. Which means I get more attacks.

Maybe it's the miniature gamer in me talking, but I think this game is basically like one. The guy with the most opportunities for effective attacks wins. So, maximizing the exposed Natives when you have attacks of "more than one tribe" means you get the most out of your activations.

By the end of the second card you'd be out of Red I think and maybe down a yellow or two. You'd be out of yellow a little over halfway through the game.

This is, again, dependent upon cards and who you have exposed, right? If you have a 1 attack and 3 attack person exposed as the Crew, you're limited to 4 dice at 50/50 hit chance. So, it might not be that easy, depending on your initial draft.

I think you'd need to evaluate the situational strength of cards in relation to having lost all of your strongest color to properly make this evaluation. I think you'd find the cost could be severe.

I think the real question is "what attack cards did I draft" to make this decision, more than anything. Same goes with the Crew. If you get shit attack cards, you're fucked no matter what. That kind of goes back to my only real complaint of the game - there's simply too high a chance that you're not getting 4 attack cards in your hand until the 4th or 5th Encounter, and by that time, it's probably too late.

I'm going to see if I can get the wife to get "elevated" and play with me when the kids are in bed. Will report.

More
02 Mar 2016 08:54 #223624 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic FEROX Review

SuperflyTNT wrote: This is, again, dependent upon cards and who you have exposed, right? If you have a 1 attack and 3 attack person exposed as the Crew, you're limited to 4 dice at 50/50 hit chance. So, it might not be that easy, depending on your initial draft.

No, I don't think it is. The encounter will end from the film crew killing enough natives. It doesn't matter how well they attack, that just effects how long it takes to do so.

So 100%, I will fill the first card with Red. And as the Doc said, there's a solid chance you put down extra cubes than the number of spaces required. This happened to me a few times in my plays (1 or 2 extra cubes).

It's an interesting idea though and I'm going to try it too next time I play. Maybe I'll solo it.

More
11 Apr 2016 21:04 #225702 by wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds