Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Four Against Darkness in Review

Four Against Darkness in Review 30 Apr 2018 15:39 #272321

The most compelling thing about Ganesha Games’ Four Against Darkness isn't that it appeared seemingly out of nowhere to climb the top games ranking over at another board games site two years after its release. It's that it flies so defiantly in the face of trend, daring a couple of generations' worth of gamers that have been reared on mountains of heart tokens, endless doom trackers, and scores of bubblegum machine figures to go back to the basics.

Read more...
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
  • Thank you received: 7685
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, stoic

Four Against Darkness in Review 30 Apr 2018 15:57 #272326

So I like the review, but I feel like it should have some minor information about the game (namely: publisher, designer and year published).
  • barrowdown
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 370
Last Edit: 30 Apr 2018 15:59 by barrowdown.

Four Against Darkness in Review 30 Apr 2018 17:24 #272334

barrowdown wrote:
So I like the review, but I feel like it should have some minor information about the game (namely: publisher, designer and year published).

Based on the first sentence of the review I think the publisher is Ganesha Games and it was published two years ago. The designer isn't named on the cover of the game either.
  • ChristopherMD
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Road Warrior
  • Thank you received: 2170

Four Against Darkness in Review 30 Apr 2018 18:11 #272336

ChristopherMD wrote:
barrowdown wrote:

Based on the first sentence of the review I think the publisher is Ganesha Games and it was published two years ago. The designer isn't named on the cover of the game either.

I am apparently an idiot.
  • barrowdown
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 370

Four Against Darkness in Review 30 Apr 2018 18:29 #272338

This honestly sort of reminds me of the review Charles wrote of City of Kings. It's like the exact polar opposites, filed along with 1st edition D+Dish Dungeon Degenerates. Not because City of Kings is euroish, but rather because it, like Shadows of Malice, is totally content to be nonspecific. Enemies are drawn randomly and only characteristics, not some super specific identity.

If I had a big request for a feature on There Will Be Games it would be a roundtable feature running down a genre (eg dungeon adventure) and the different approaches to it from releases in the last few years. Bonus points if it was willing to bring up some heroic failures/non-sellers.
  • Gary Sax
  • Shelf Toad King
  • Thank you received: 3349
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, DukeofChutney

Four Against Darkness in Review 01 May 2018 07:38 #272359

I did post this in the other thread but didn't get a response - how similar is this to the 70s/80s Tunnels & Trolls solo dungeons (that I've just bought a heap of for some nostalgia gaming) ?
  • Southernman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • TOTALLY WiReD
  • Thank you received: 625
Konieczkarian
F:ATies 'Spawn of Ameritrash' Worldwide Map: maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe...7e41fde832d5ff51&z=2
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Four Against Darkness in Review 16 May 2018 20:26 #273457

Ah, sorry Tom- I never responded to this. I’d say it is somewhat similar, but the T&T solo games were an attempt to make the full T&T system playable by one player with a more gamebook like approach. The base 4AD game is straight hack and slash- no “turn to 437” or anything like that.

Now, with that said, the expansion adventures are much close to T&T solo adventures. They have text and all that.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
  • Thank you received: 7685
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Four Against Darkness in Review 16 May 2018 21:08 #273459

Even before I got to your bio box at the end, I was thinking about Dungeon. Specifically that Dungeon is probably a better game than the base game of Four Against Darkness, even though Dungeon isn't a very good game. You may be enjoying the nostalgia more than the game.
  • Shellhead
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3624
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds