October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Dungeon Degenerates Second Printing Kickstarter Announced

More
27 Jun 2018 10:43 #276347 by ubarose

Dungeon Degenerates returns to Kickstarter to fund it's second printing.  All of the Dungeon Degenerates game materials will be available as add-ons through the campaign at a special discount.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2018 11:03 #276348 by Gary Sax
Now that is tempting.

More
27 Jun 2018 11:06 #276350 by hotseatgames
I may jump in this time. At this point I have more games than time / players. I need a kickstarter that comes with a game group.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
27 Jun 2018 11:15 #276353 by Gary Sax

hotseatgames wrote: I may jump in this time. At this point I have more games than time / players. I need a kickstarter that comes with a game group.

You and me both.

More
27 Jun 2018 11:18 #276354 by blatz
I don’t know, I was really tempted by this until I saw all the Nazi fetish stuff in the art and on the website. I’m all for controversial art that makes people think but all the comments I’ve read from the artist kind of turned me off. For me, if there’s going to be swastikas and shit I’d like it be there for a less juvenile reason than “to piss of the squares!”

The game does sound awesome but I guess everyone has their own line for what they’re comfortable with. Maybe I’m just trying to rationalize my way out of spending $200.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Gary Sax, ecargo

More
27 Jun 2018 11:23 #276355 by ubarose

blatz wrote: I don’t know, I was really tempted by this until I saw all the Nazi fetish stuff in the art and on the website. I’m all for controversial art that makes people think but all the comments I’ve read from the artist kind of turned me off. For me, if there’s going to be swastikas and shit I’d like it be there for a less juvenile reason than “to piss of the squares!”

The game does sound awesome but I guess everyone has their own line for what they’re comfortable with. Maybe I’m just trying to rationalize my way out of spending $200.

Thank you for pointing that out. I never noticed that when playing the game. But the artwork is so busy, it's hard to notice anything.

More
27 Jun 2018 11:40 #276359 by Gary Sax
Ugh, that sucks. I haven't looked at the website. Is it in the game itself, btw?

Parts of punk culture have always had that gross fascination with nazi shit.

More
27 Jun 2018 11:55 #276361 by hotseatgames
$200 is an exaggeration, right?

More
27 Jun 2018 11:57 #276362 by ChristopherMD

blatz wrote: I don’t know, I was really tempted by this until I saw all the Nazi fetish stuff in the art and on the website. I’m all for controversial art that makes people think but all the comments I’ve read from the artist kind of turned me off. For me, if there’s going to be swastikas and shit I’d like it be there for a less juvenile reason than “to piss of the squares

I have scoured the game for any swastikas already and have never found a single one in its artwork. Please show an image of where one appears in the game.

More
27 Jun 2018 12:03 #276363 by Shellhead

hotseatgames wrote: $200 is an exaggeration, right?

The pledge levels range from $6 to $10,000. $45 is the minimum pledge to get the game, and that seems like a very reasonable price. $200 gets you the game plus a flash sheet so that you can get a Dungeon Degenerates tattoo. The $10,000 pledge level looks like a kicksucker scam for maybe $200 worth of items.

More
27 Jun 2018 12:05 #276364 by barrowdown

ChristopherMD wrote:

blatz wrote: I don’t know, I was really tempted by this until I saw all the Nazi fetish stuff in the art and on the website. I’m all for controversial art that makes people think but all the comments I’ve read from the artist kind of turned me off. For me, if there’s going to be swastikas and shit I’d like it be there for a less juvenile reason than “to piss of the squares

I have scoured the game for any swastikas already and have never found a single one in its artwork. Please show an image of where one appears in the game.

I'm curious about this to, as I am interested in the game. I have never played or seen an actual copy. From the website, I do see that the Porc Fighter (which I assume is in the game) does not have a swastika as far as I can tell, but does have the SS's sig runes on its belt. There is obviously a lot of iron crosses everywhere, but that is a tiny bit different as it is still used by the modern German military.

More
27 Jun 2018 12:10 #276365 by Shellhead

blatz wrote: I don’t know, I was really tempted by this until I saw all the Nazi fetish stuff in the art and on the website. I’m all for controversial art that makes people think but all the comments I’ve read from the artist kind of turned me off. For me, if there’s going to be swastikas and shit I’d like it be there for a less juvenile reason than “to piss of the squares!”

It looks like Sean Aaberg had already outgrown his swastika phase:

www.wweek.com/arts/books/2017/02/27/pork...tikas-because-trump/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
27 Jun 2018 12:14 #276366 by ubarose

hotseatgames wrote: $200 is an exaggeration, right?

It does say that everything will be offered at a discount. That's what they did with the original - you could get the base game for $45; it ended up I think being $80 at retail and on the website. There are two character packs, which are $40 at retail, but I don't know what the original KS price was. Somewhat less though. And then there are about ten booklets that are about $10 each. I don't know how much game material is in any of them. They seem to be mostly backstory and fluff, but someone told me that some of them have some extra scenarios.

More
27 Jun 2018 12:26 #276369 by Frohike
I haven't seen swastikas in the game, only iron crosses, but some of the fascist "Law" enemies might have some symbology that I missed. Your dudes aren't nazi sympathizers, but rather the "degenerates" that fascism would have sought to expunge.

Anyway.

From Sean on TOS:

I think I was 8 or 9 when I first saw Ralph Bakshi's "Wizards" - in this Dark Fantasy movie the bad guys discover WWII Nazi propaganda & use it during the final battle to disorient the good guys & defeat them in battle. In Wizards it is a form of Black Magic. I had also discovered Bakshi's Lord of the Rings at about the same time & watched & loved Fritz the Cat when I was older. By the time the 80s were rolling along - sexuality, symbolism & fetishism had changed but a lot of the stuff I saw that was leftover from the 70s included this weird mix of BDSM, Leather, Nazi Fetishism, Drugs, Satanism & the like. In the 80s this was still a part of Bay Area street culture & as a young Punk Rocker this bled into the places I would go to find "cool stuff". As part of the aesthetic I've been working on for over a decade I include this hodge podge of 70s tropes that had largely been erased from the public consciousness by the cleansing that happened in the 80s. Most of this stuff came to me via the San Francisco gay scene - I think my first exposure to Nazi Fetishism was through Tom of Finland - it was just background noise & I didn't get it. Then in Punk - original Punk uses Nazi imagery in the same way as one uses anything taboo - it's playing with fire. I understand why people are offended by it & why swastikas are upsetting - & they aren't a central point to the game or the art or anything, they're background noise. That's why they're not "front & center". Just as low-key pervy sexuality & drug use are part of the game - but it's not the point, it's not about hitting you over the head with it, it's to increase the feeling of degeneration & decay - the feeling I had about the 70s when I was a kid. So - this isn't about trying to legitimize or reclaim or promote any of these things, they are elements of the aesthetic that are necessary to communicate the over-all feeling that I am trying to convey. That said - most of the art that is being commented on is work that was done as preliminary work for the game theme before we had any concrete plan on what "Dungeon Degenerates" would turn into. I can give you a list of cultural reference points if you're interested in further research on the subject.

More
27 Jun 2018 12:36 - 27 Jun 2018 12:41 #276371 by SuperflyPete
I’m with Blatz. Noticed the same thing - but it seemed more punk/biker than nazi symbology. Iron crosses all over. I actually didn’t know this was a Pork artist but now it all makes sense with the San Jose punk scene (which I grew up in).

Wouldn’t spend a dime on it. Just not my thing.

Also, the art is objectively vertigo-inducing.
I’d spend half the game playing and half the game gripping the table to stop from spinning off of the planet.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2018 12:41 by SuperflyPete.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.379 seconds