October 09, 2023
2521 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Interesting Developments

More
26 May 2020 11:22 #310646 by oliverkinne
I think, game development often goes unseen. Most of us...

In last week's article, I talked about what is involved in designing a game. Now I want to continue the story of how a board game is made with the development stage, where a working game is polished to make it sparkle and shine. This step in the process can be informal and something a game designer does themselves as part of making their passion project a reality, or it can be handed over to a dedicated person, which is usually the case if a game is handed over to a publisher.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2020 13:57 #310647 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Interesting Developments
A developer can make or break a game . At least on the wargame side of things, I think the lack of decent developers is the single biggest bottleneck in the game creation pipeline. There is no shortage of would be designers. and you can usually get people to playtest. But without a good, objective developer with some decent product management skills, it all goes to shit. I don't think they get nearly enough credit . I tried getting a developer line added to the entries on BGG but it fell on deaf ears. With very few exceptions, I don't trust any game with either a blank developer credit or one where the designer also served as developer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, jpat, Gregarius

More
26 May 2020 14:23 - 26 May 2020 14:53 #310648 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Interesting Developments

Msample wrote: A developer can make or break a game . At least on the wargame side of things, I think the lack of decent developers is the single biggest bottleneck in the game creation pipeline. There is no shortage of would be designers. and you can usually get people to playtest. But without a good, objective developer with some decent product management skills, it all goes to shit. I don't think they get nearly enough credit . I tried getting a developer line added to the entries on BGG but it fell on deaf ears. With very few exceptions, I don't trust any game with either a blank developer credit or one where the designer also served as developer.

Absolutely positively agree with every aspect of what is written here. The equivalent of a film without a director.

On a couple of occasions my group has played Kickstarter games that had an edge, had interesting play, and really made it feel like we were going somewhere cool. Then some strange thing would happen and the entire game would just fall off the table in a heap. We were stuck wondering how on Earth THAT was allowed to happen. A game called To Serve Man did that to us.

Game developers provide an important sanity check to the designer's desires, and I've heard two or three designers more or less admit that their developer had saved their bacon.
Last edit: 26 May 2020 14:53 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
27 May 2020 03:37 #310671 by oliverkinne
Thank you for all your comments. I'm glad you agree that developers are really important in the process of creating great board games. I also don't understand why there is no developer information on BGG.

More
27 May 2020 09:27 #310676 by hotseatgames
My latest game project is actually the first one to have a developer. And it actually has two of them. They have been extremely helpful.

More
04 Jun 2020 07:39 #310920 by oliverkinne
That's interesting to hear @hotseatgames. What game are you working on at the moment? Is this something you can share?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds