October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

GF9’s Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps Loses its Aim - Review

More
15 Dec 2020 11:29 #317202 by Gary Sax
Once you think of BGG as a series of countless fan site forums, I think all the content there makes a lot more sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Sagrilarus, Msample, drewcula

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2020 12:18 #317208 by Erik Twice
Remember, most of these people haven't actually played the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, drewcula, n815e

More
15 Dec 2020 12:42 #317209 by Sagrilarus
It's hard for someone to hear negative news for a product they've already purchased.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Msample, drewcula, fightcitymayor

More
15 Dec 2020 12:59 #317210 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: Once you think of BGG as a series of countless fan site forums, I think all the content there makes a lot more sense.

This is true from a usability perspective as well as an emotional perspective. BGG's interface has become so fractured (by their source material as much as their design) that the only effective way to use it is to subscribe to specific games that interest you. So the only people seeing a thread appear are people that have decided a game is worth following.

The concern used to be that BGG drove sales, now they're at best following them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Msample, drewcula

More
15 Dec 2020 15:36 #317214 by Gary Sax
Slightly off topic, and I'm sure it makes a lot of money, but I wouldn't want to run BGG if I were Scott Alden given how it has changed... I'd be waiting for some sort of good buyout offer. It's a very different animal than the euro community site that it started out as.

Sort of a microcosm for the turn the entire internet has taken in the 2010s, honestly.

More
15 Dec 2020 18:08 #317219 by Msample
Thing is how to establish value of the site . I have no doubt that if Aldie sold it and walked away, the "donations" would drop off, thus diminishing the value of the site . If he sells but stays on...kind of makes selling a non issue unless he needs/wants a lump sum of money now.

The other thing that has no doubt put a dent in their cash flow recently is the ceasing of all FtF conventions. I have no doubt those were a decent profit generator for BGG. They sold out fast, charged top dollar and didn't have the overhead of some other cons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Dec 2020 09:31 #317239 by fightcitymayor

Sagrilarus wrote: It's hard for someone to hear negative news for a product they've already purchased.

I'm surprised this game ended up atop ye olde Hotness list. Also surprised it sold out at Miniature Market within hours. Was the world really clamoring for yet another Space Hulk knockoff, albeit an officially licensed one?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
16 Dec 2020 10:25 #317244 by charlest
I think the price of Space Hulk pushes it out of sight for many people. Additionally, this is fully coop which is a huge market, and that also means solo gamers will pick it up. The license is certainly a huge pull as well. With the pandemic, I think people are looking for any semblance of hope or positivity, and this serves as some good retail therapy. You can play it right away, even if your group isn't meeting (well, after you assemble the minis).

Lot of stuff going in it's favor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, n815e

More
16 Dec 2020 10:29 #317245 by Gary Sax
Are you reviewing it, charlest?

More
16 Dec 2020 10:37 - 16 Dec 2020 10:39 #317248 by charlest

Gary Sax wrote: Are you reviewing it, charlest?

I requested a copy but it looks like too late.

Almost bought it but decided I shouldn't spend the money as our spending is already out of control this time of year, plus I plan on backing ISS Vanguard and just backed Core Space First Born.

I pitched it to my editor at Ars but he's been non responsive lately. If he's interested I'll go ahead and just buy it, as the cost will then be worth it with the pay.

I may check it out eventually if that doesn't work out.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2020 10:39 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Dec 2020 10:45 - 16 Dec 2020 10:46 #317251 by Sagrilarus

fightcitymayor wrote: Was the world really clamoring for yet another Space Hulk knockoff, albeit an officially licensed one?

I'm always amazed at how much of a difference that makes for people. I must be missing a gene, because I just have no interest in it at all. If someone licensed Van Camps Pork and Beans for a game theme there would be people pre-ordering it sight-unseen. That layer of paint is very important to a portion of the buying public.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2020 10:46 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jason10mm

More
16 Dec 2020 11:41 - 16 Dec 2020 11:44 #317254 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote:

fightcitymayor wrote: Was the world really clamoring for yet another Space Hulk knockoff, albeit an officially licensed one?

I'm always amazed at how much of a difference that makes for people. I must be missing a gene, because I just have no interest in it at all. If someone licensed Van Camps Pork and Beans for a game theme there would be people pre-ordering it sight-unseen. That layer of paint is very important to a portion of the buying public.

It's funny because I can't possibly imagine not getting excited by a beloved IP.

When I consume something I really love (typically film as I don't read now as often as I should), I want to extend my engagement with it.

After viewing Tenet I spent a couple of hours probably consuming reviews and discussions on the film. It allowed me to experience the emotions I had attached to viewing experience all over again, perhaps under a different light.

A game allows me to do the same. I played Dune for the first time shortly after finishing my first read of the book, and it was magical. It allowed me to interact with the literature - even if by proxy - in a way which allowed me to develop a new viewpoint and appreciation.

I imagine you're not completely devoid of soul Sag. When playing Wings of Glory I'm sure you get enjoyment out of that Sopwith Camel being a Sopwith Camel as opposed to a black and white rectangle and the game being an abstract.

There's an emotional resonance with IP and people want to relive that high as long as they can.

And I think you're wrong about licenses giving people a free pass and resulting in automatic sales. Plenty of games with hot IPs have failed because the game is garbage.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2020 11:44 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen, Gary Sax, panzerattack, mezike, drewcula, sornars, Nodens

More
16 Dec 2020 12:53 #317257 by n815e

Michael Barnes wrote: LMAAAAAAO I just saw that this review is being discussed on BGG. Don’t bother going over there, here are the takeways:

- some guy doesn’t know who this “joker” is
- I played the game wrong. (Note- I did not)
- Some other people liked it so what does this guy know
- I’m talking out of “both sides of my ass” when I state that the game succeeds as fan service but fails to deliver the gameplay I want from an Aliens game
- I rated the game a 2 on a 10 point scale (although we have a 5 point scale)- therefore, lower than Tic Tac Toe
- OMG you have to glue the minis
- numerous posts discussing the nuances of the BGG rating system

OMG that fucking site...

You should learn to distance yourself emotionally from negative reactions to your reviews.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
16 Dec 2020 13:24 #317259 by fightcitymayor

charlest wrote: It's funny because I can't possibly imagine not getting excited by a beloved IP.

But this is what is used against us, as fans of a book/movie/album. The old "From the producers of Shlumpywumps comes the next big hit of the summer!" A person's emotional engagement in a thing is used as a cudgel against them when the license-holder finds a way to cut corners & increase profit margins instead of delivering on the promise of that emotional connection. I think we would all agree the history of licensed games is a history of crap-for-profit.

This discussion would make a good point-counterpoint article.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
16 Dec 2020 13:31 #317260 by charlest
Absolutely, totally agree.

That doesn't mean licensed games shouldn't exist. It just means we need people like Michael writing articles like this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, birdman37, sornars, fightcitymayor

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds