Play Matt: Inkling Review

Board Game Reviews
O
oliverkinne
January 08, 2021
1292 0

Oath

Board Game Reviews
Bugs Update: Recent Topics & Main Menu (11 Dec 2020)

Main Menu drop down bug has been fixed. You may need to clear your cache to pick up the new code.
Recent Topics paging bug requires a patch which has not yet been released.

Play Matt: Inkling Review

More
10 Jan 2021 19:09 #317929 by Matt Thrower
Each player gets a clue card, which lists six words...

It remains a constant source of astonishment how much game you can get out of a mere twenty-six letters. Word games have been a constant through the history of games, always surprising us with new turns of invention. And a good thing too: they’re easy to learn and quick to play, based on concepts we all understand. Yet for all that happy history, you’ve never seen a word game like Inkling.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2021 11:21 #317930 by Sagrilarus
If ever a game need a couple of photos this is it. You've asked how to improve your reviews and I fully appreciate (in both senses of the word) that ThereWillBe.Games is the place to go for written reviews. But in this particular case a photo of what you're describing would have made a dramatic difference in the reader's understanding.

All that said, this sounds interesting, and sounds like the kind of thing you bring out at a restaurant should such things continue to exist while you're waiting for your food. I think there's a real place for a game like this that stretches a different part of your brain, gives you the leeway to cheat within the rules.

You seem to say that it has a limited lifespan on the table, but then back off of the point by saying you should break it out again. Can you speak to that a little more please?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, mezike, sornars

More
11 Jan 2021 13:44 #317936 by Matt Thrower

Sagrilarus wrote: If ever a game need a couple of photos this is it. You've asked how to improve your reviews and I fully appreciate (in both senses of the word) that ThereWillBe.Games is the place to go for written reviews. But in this particular case a photo of what you're describing would have made a dramatic difference in the reader's understanding.

Oh man, I'm sorry. I've been trying to add images to reviews as much as possible and I meant to in this one and I just forgot. Which is particularly annoying because I had this exact thought: I knew it'd make things much clearer.

Apologies over, I have now added a photo. Hopefully, that gives you a better idea.

Sagrilarus wrote: You seem to say that it has a limited lifespan on the table, but then back off of the point by saying you should break it out again. Can you speak to that a little more please?

Well, this is a pre-release copy so I can't really talk about longevity from experience. But what I'm guessing is that it's a matter of familiarity. We had a burst of plays when we first got it and were really excited about it, and then all of a sudden it just wasn't exciting any more. But with the passing of time, we're going to forget some of the ways we made that G or that Z and it's going to feel fresher again as a result.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds