October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Fields of Fire

More
09 Jan 2010 20:27 #52808 by kookoobah
Craptastic. Is there any way I can try the game out first, like online maybe? I don't think there's anybody locally who has it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2010 22:35 #52816 by Dogmatix
kookoobah wrote:

Craptastic. Is there any way I can try the game out first, like online maybe? I don't think there's anybody locally who has it.

You can download the rules, various charts, and examples of play [necessary] from GMT Games' site here:
gmtgames.com/p-111-fields-of-fire.aspx

Then download the VASSAL modules off the same page and play through the game. The VASSAL modules do NOT enforce the rules but at least you can just walk through the example of play step by step in the VASSAL module and see if it's something you want to experience.

(If you've never used vassal, you'll need to install the engine or use the webstarter here: www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php?option=com_downloads )

More
05 Sep 2010 07:37 #73195 by Bullwinkle
It's about time to do my semiannual look-at-my-Fields-of-Fire-box-and-see-if-anyone's-written-a-rulebook-for-it-which-doesn't-suck thing. So, did that promised rules rewrite ever get done? Or shall I ignore the game for another few months?

More
05 Sep 2010 10:18 #73196 by Gary Sax
New rulebook is in for layout and pictures, is what Ben Hull said on consimworld.

He's going to release it with a new campaign, Heartbreak Ridge.

More
05 Sep 2010 15:46 #73210 by Space Ghost
Gary Sax wrote:

New rulebook is in for layout and pictures, is what Ben Hull said on consimworld.

He's going to release it with a new campaign, Heartbreak Ridge.

I hope it is endorsed by Eastwood in some fashion.

More
05 Sep 2010 16:10 #73212 by Gary Sax
Maybe your 1st Sgt. can be a vet and Eastwood?

More
29 Jan 2011 22:56 #86370 by seanmac31
Had my eye on this for a long time and just got around to a) buying a copy and b) trying it out. There is a very good Vassal file on BGG that goes through the first seven turns of the first scenario. I found that looking at the Sequence of Play, reading the very basic sections of the rulebook (pretty much just the first paragraph of each section) and then following along with the Vassal logfile made it pretty easy to learn. The mechanics really aren't terribly hard, and as someone who has read up on WW2 tactical doctrine a fair amount, I had no problem with the idea of Volume of Fire or Primary Direction of Fire (and it must be said, this is positively a breakthrough in realistically modeling tactical engagements). I'm working my way through my first game, and while I'm definitely stopping to check up on the rules for this or that thing along the way, there is nothing show-stoppingly difficult about the experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
29 Jan 2011 23:19 #86371 by jeb
I agree, for the amount of detail you get, the game is remarkably approachable. As I have noted elsewhere in this thread and others. This is the only game I recommend to people but refuse to play. I owned it and found I could not stomach sending my boys into some of those situations. No other game has so invested me in the feeling of actually being a CO, and I just couldn't do it. Great game.

More
30 Jan 2011 14:47 #86383 by Gary Sax
I love PDF and VOF concepts too. In my opinion it's only the armchair "military expert" weapon fetish types on CSW who can't accept these concepts and not getting to fire each different type of gun individually in the game, since as far as I can tell it's the way the military thinks about it.

More
31 Jan 2011 00:02 #86415 by Cranberries
Apparently the rewritten rules are at the editors: talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@230.JRZebYgRZc8.6@.ee6eec3/4409

More
31 Jan 2011 21:24 #86513 by Bullwinkle
craniac wrote:

Apparently the rewritten rules are at the editors: talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@230.JRZebYgRZc8.6@.ee6eec3/4409

Huzzah!

More
01 Feb 2011 10:56 #86552 by seanmac31
Interesting, though I'm not sure the rules need to be re-written so much as they need to be layered with many more examples of play. As I said, the game doesn't actually seem to be all that difficult, for the most part.

As an aside, for people who like the way Fields of Fire handles tactical engagements, I would recommend having a look at the rules for the forthcoming Band of Brothers. It looks like the mechanics are similarly focused on capturing the nature of engagements--fire to suppress and to close, rather than to inflict damage--and it does so within a low-complexity framework. Could be good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
12 Apr 2011 18:18 #93929 by Gary Sax
2nd edition rules are up! So is the heartbreak ridge campaign, I think I'm going to give that a try. I haven't played fields of fire in too long!

More
03 Apr 2017 09:41 - 03 Apr 2017 11:18 #245899 by Gary Sax
GMT was nice enough to put an upgrade kit for first edition on preorder! Go check it out. I've been thinking more and more about this game, haven't played it in a year or two... I hope all this time they spent developing the new rules helps, largely without the designer I think.

Anyway, new edition scheduled for July, printing now.

edit: they also put up the new 2nd edition rulebook. I haven't looked at it, but I pray it's better. GMT can be hit or miss, though, even with fixes... I just feel like since that's the biggest thing wrong with the game it's key.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2017 11:18 by Gary Sax.

More
24 Jul 2017 11:01 #251574 by Gary Sax
Super psyched about 2nd edition coming out in a couple weeks... I've heard the rules are better but still not amazing. That's what you get for relying on pretty volunteer developers I guess.

Still, even with just a rules improvement the game is very playable. Gotten it out a couple of times and still impressed by the game. I'll give a review of the rules when 2nd edition comes in and I read through them, in case anyone is still curious about the game but hasn't gotten on board hoping for better rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds