October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Cthulhu Wars

More
26 Mar 2018 07:29 #266349 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Cthulhu Wars
I would gladly consider buying expansions and maps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2018 15:20 #266448 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Cthulhu Wars
I'd take Opener and Tcho Tcho for sure, and would consider Windwalker, possibly the Dreamlands Map, possibly Primevil Earth map, and possibly some of the 6-8 player maps. I'm in Chicago and would be willing to meet in Gurnee or Kenosha. PM me and we can discuss.

More
03 May 2018 08:55 #272561 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Cthulhu Wars
So is any of this extra KS crap worth my time to sell or should I just recycle it?

More
03 May 2018 09:03 #272563 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Cthulhu Wars
You talking about different colored gates and monsters and things? Sell it on Ebay and you'll make some money.

More
03 May 2018 09:45 #272567 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Cthulhu Wars

ChristopherMD wrote: So is any of this extra KS crap worth my time to sell or should I just recycle it?

Looks like sets of the glow-in-the-dark Old Ones go for about $50 on eBay and the gates are selling in the $15 range. Double check that bag of cardboard before you get rid of it because that looks like the revised components meant to replace their older versions; they incorporate errata meant to balance certain factions/independents.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar

More
30 Apr 2019 12:42 - 30 Apr 2019 12:49 #296302 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Cthulhu Wars
I am thinking about getting additional maps if they are offered. Which ones do people recommend?
Last edit: 30 Apr 2019 12:49 by ubarose.

More
30 Apr 2019 14:09 #296316 by WadeMonnig
Replied by WadeMonnig on topic Cthulhu Wars
I'm interested in how much of the onslaught 3 stuff is going to inundate retail. Petersen is milking FOMO by launching "final" onslaught before the OS3 stuff hits stores. This stuff has been "hard to find" for so long it's become the norm. I anticipate it hitting soon since I'm beyond broke.

More
30 Apr 2019 15:05 #296321 by ubarose
hotseatgames just posted that his friend received Onslaught 3. So I think you are correct. Petersen is being purposefully vague to rev up the FOMO for Final Onslaught.

More
30 Apr 2019 16:05 #296334 by cdennett
Replied by cdennett on topic Cthulhu Wars
Not to be completely a PG apologist: they are stating in their updates regarding what will be available for add-ons in the current campaign that they recommend everyone just buy the stuff from their store once it's available (assuming what you want was reprinted in OS3). But shipping problems with OS3 has delayed that. I've had my OS3 for around 6 weeks now, but I got it early on in NA fulfillment. I think you'll see them pushing you to buy it NOW, rather then in the pledge-manager as an add-on. Now, if it's something that wasn't reprinted in OS3, well the KS is your way of making sure you get it. They simply aren't able (their own words) to keep everything in print.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, n815e

More
30 Apr 2019 16:34 - 30 Apr 2019 16:34 #296336 by ubarose
My bad. I missed the reprint update. Thank you.

So the update seems to be saying that everything they have listed on that page as going to be reprinted and will be included in the pledge manager. Plus the reprints will be offered at a discount. Looks like all factions are going to be reprinted and some of the maps, which is perfect for me. I will be able to get WW at a discount via the pledge manager. I will probably get another map as well, depending upon what is on the pledge manager.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2019 16:34 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Apr 2019 16:44 - 30 Apr 2019 16:46 #296337 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Cthulhu Wars
In terms of maps, I'd rate them like this:

1. Library
2. Yuggoth
3. Primeval
4. Dreamlands

Dreamlands is interesting but I really hate how the spaces connect semi-randomly between the two boards, and the references to see which spaces are connected are usually obscured by the large minis. Otherwise, I think I'd really dig the map.

I like Primeval quite a bit because of the unique format, but it can result in slower games due to less Doom going around.

Yuggoth and the Library are neat. I love the Library thing where the librarian can come for you, very neat.

Have not played Shaggai yet but hopefully soon.

All that said, we mostly just play on the earth map. I personally tend to like one "wrench" per play, with that being a different map, new faction we haven't seen, or neutral units/GoOs. New faction has been the wrench for the past year or so with Tcho-Tcho and then Ancients. Last game (after several plays with the Ancients), we tossed in some neutral Great Old Ones including Nodens who was a boss.

If you have a lot of extra money sitting around (I know, fat chance), you may also want to try some neutral units such as the Great Old One Pack One. These can really alter the game state and present crazy new options.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2019 16:46 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, WadeMonnig, n815e

More
30 Apr 2019 20:07 #296346 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Cthulhu Wars
ha, whoops, I accidentally responded to a particular review. Was intending to comment on this thread... didn't know we could comment on particular reviews now, that's a nice feature.

I'd probably own this one if it wasn't for the price and statue factor. That's not me making a big deal of how it's so wrong that the statues are so detailed, it's just how it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
30 Apr 2019 20:24 #296348 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Cthulhu Wars

ubarose wrote: So the update seems to be saying that everything they have listed on that page as going to be reprinted and will be included in the pledge manager. Plus the reprints will be offered at a discount. Looks like all factions are going to be reprinted and some of the maps, which is perfect for me. I will be able to get WW at a discount via the pledge manager. I will probably get another map as well, depending upon what is on the pledge manager.

So, if you want the reprints, you need to pledge (and get a discount)? Or we can wait for retail?

More
30 Apr 2019 21:00 #296349 by ubarose
@Jackwraith

Yes, that is what it sounds like. Factions will be $45 if you order them via the Kickstarter. Or they will be available for purchase on the website for $49. The maps will be around 15% off.

I'm guessing that they will also be available at retail outlets as well, where you might be able to get them for less than than the Kickstarter price. Coolstuff has the factions listed at $35, but they are currently out of stock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds