October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2719 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Tunnels and Trolls 7.5

More
19 Dec 2008 05:39 #15547 by dan daly
Replied by dan daly on topic Re:Tunnels and Trolls 7.5
Also, if you end up liking T&T you might be interested in Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes. It's basically the tunnels and trolls rules adapted to run modern day adventures with guns (or olden day adventures with guns if you prefer). It wasn't my thing, but if you like the system it might be for you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2008 09:36 #15550 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Re:Tunnels and Trolls 7.5
Jack Hooligan wrote:

Yeah, i can imagine I'd read the background paragraph or two on an adventure, maybe a few off-handed remarks from the pcs, but nothing to involved.

Is this the adventure that comes in the box?

No, "Hot Pursuit" comes out of the box...Based on the descriptions on Outlaw Press's site, I wasn't so sure I wanted to run this one right away:

"It was created for humans, Elves, Dwarves, and maybe even Uruks of up to 5th level"

"Be warned that it is a difficult adventure, and the players will have to think and be pretty damn tricky in order to win."

The Serpent's nest sounded more basic and geared towards complete newbies, so I went with that.

This GM dungeon is perfect for a one shot night of gaming for new T&T characters just starting out."

More
19 Dec 2008 09:56 #15552 by NeonPeon
Jack Hooligan wrote:

Has anyone tried the new magazine. Looks kind of pricey, but sounds like it has a lot of content.

A lot of the stuff on Outlaw Press looks a bit pricy, but they do have free shipping for all orders. I was actually disappointed when I first saw The Serpent's Nest - it's a small, thin magazine (16 pages), so I thought to myself, "that's it??" But later I figured it's the fun you get out of it that matters, and the company seems to be very small after all, so might as well cut 'em some slack. I doubt they're pushing these out by the thousands. It's not really a bad production at all, it just feels like more like 5 or 6 bucks to this cheapskate. :)

I haven't tried The Hobbit Hole yet...The adventures are often reprinted as standalones, for what that's worth.

It's a weird thing, this T&T. There seems to be lots of people that know about it, but it's net presence seems pretty much nil. I mean, like was pointed out, a geocities site? This thread is about the longest one I've seen on the net pertaining to the game. There is that Trollhalla place, but surely I thought there would be more info out and about.

Yeah unfortunately I think this game mostly exists in people's memories, but I did find a fairly active message board here - trollbridge.proboards44.com/index.cgi ? - and a sometimes-active Yahoo group - games.groups.yahoo.com/group/RadioFreeTrollworld/post

More
22 Dec 2008 23:16 #15655 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:Tunnels and Trolls 7.5
T&T arrived today, and after only giving it a quick glance I like what I see.

I do have a question on why there are seemingly two monster books (neither of which have dragons listed)?

The other question I have is, Neon, is the adventure that you ordered as thin as the gm one in the box? Looks pretty sparse, but I haven't read it so it's not a fair assessment.

More
23 Dec 2008 10:08 #15663 by NeonPeon
Jack Hooligan wrote:

T&T arrived today, and after only giving it a quick glance I like what I see.

Sweet. B)

I do have a question on why there are seemingly two monster books (neither of which have dragons listed)?

The Monstrum Codex and Codex Incantatem are partial reprints of preexisting books ("partial" because they don't include everything). The other book, Monsters & Magic, is reprinted from the 7.0 rulebook, and is included "for completeness."

The other question I have is, Neon, is the adventure that you ordered as thin as the gm one in the box? Looks pretty sparse, but I haven't read it so it's not a fair assessment.

Yup, Hot Pursuit as well as the one I ordered, The Serpent's Nest, are short adventures, designed for a single night's play. If you're looking for something longer, Outlaw Press has Gristlegrim Dungeon (188 pages). :cheer:

More
24 Dec 2008 22:04 #15723 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:Tunnels and Trolls 7.5
hmmm...I think after Christmas I'll put in an order for Gristlegrim Dungeon and The Hobbit mag that has the Serpent's adventure in it. The mag doesn't cost too much more than the adventure, and it'll give me a peek at the mag's content while also getting a recommended module.

Thanks for the tip and have a great Christmas!

More
25 Dec 2008 23:03 #15730 by NeonPeon
Hehe, I wish I'd noticed that Serpent's Nest was included in the mag before I ordered it, but oh well. Please let me know how Gristlegrim is :) - I've heard about that one for years but never checked it out.

I had a good Christmas (just read your message now - 11pm on X-Mas ;)). Hope you had one too.

More
06 Jan 2009 11:47 #16128 by NeonPeon
Jack informed me he is on a game site hiatus, but I thought I'd post a link to this neat little GM dungeon for newbies...It's been heavily praised on Vin's Trollbridge!

Dungeon of the Rat

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds