October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2716 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

FAT Steam Group

More
09 Feb 2009 08:44 #20549 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Mr Skeletor wrote:

moss_icon wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

moss_icon wrote:

me and frank killed some zombies together whilst i was drunk. it was homoerotic. i heard frank speak. he laughed at me.

Buy a microphone you fucking chep ass.

no chance, i sound like a right dork.

You look like one too but that didn't stop you getting a camera.
Which other Faties have this game? We need to organise a 4 player session.

Would this be Left4Dead? I haven't picked it up yet, but it's on the list...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2009 16:32 #20618 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Yep. Don't know it's long term lastability but it's pretty good.

More
10 Feb 2009 12:13 #20701 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Notahandle wrote:

The neighbour that I play L4d with showed me this. I can't believe that I'm about to post a YouTube link.
But it is funny.
Francis stars in a music video: Francis Hates Left 4 Dead .

It even has tank tops.
Could someone confirm if the guy in the final photograph is Stephen "music video icon" Avery?

That's a funny video, but the guy playing the game is the biggest noob I've ever seen. Not only does he play with the hunting rifle, he also shot a boomer standing next to a team mate four times in the video.

More
10 Feb 2009 13:31 - 10 Feb 2009 13:32 #20704 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
I disagree, I think it's deliberate. The video has a Boomer section and a cock-up section (the molotov and jumping into the boat, for example). His weapon of choice changes quite a bit throughout. I also don't think that the Sniper Rifle is a bad choice, I started to prefer it. Unfortunately I haven't played for a few weeks as they've been busier.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 13:32 by Notahandle. Reason: "He Fucking Dick then Bullshit"

More
10 Feb 2009 13:46 - 10 Feb 2009 13:49 #20706 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Yeah, well it's just my opinion that when I'm watching a video game getting played (instead of playing myself), the guy playing should actually be good. Otherwise it's just like watching a bad movie.

I've also already seen one of the many "Francis Hates" video.

Here's a completely different Left4Dead video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgwLAEUlJvM

And the hunting rifle is the worst weapon in the game. It's not efficient in terms of zombie stopping power and it's the preferred weapon of "kill stealers".
Last edit: 10 Feb 2009 13:49 by Schweig!.

More
10 Feb 2009 17:27 #20721 by rocketkiwi
Replied by rocketkiwi on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
The rifle is good for campaign but there are few instances where you'd want to use it in versus as the assault rifle has similar accuracy.

More
10 Feb 2009 18:43 #20732 by Notahandle
Schweig! wrote:
"Yeah, well it's just my opinion that when I'm watching a video game getting played (instead of playing myself), the guy playing should actually be good. Otherwise it's just like watching a bad movie."
But it's not a video game getting played is it? He's picked short scenes to match the lyrics.

"And the hunting rifle is the worst weapon in the game. It's not efficient in terms of zombie stopping power and it's the preferred weapon of "kill stealers"."
So what if it's used by "kill stealers"? That isn't a reason to claim it's the worst weapon. I think each weapon has been designed to have it's place, i.e. none are superfluous. (And I wouldn't play with "kill stealers" anyway since it's a cooperative game.)

More
10 Feb 2009 18:47 #20733 by PseudoIntellectual
Notahandle wrote:

The neighbour that I play L4d with showed me this. I can't believe that I'm about to post a YouTube link.
But it is funny.
Francis stars in a music video: Francis Hates Left 4 Dead .

It even has tank tops.
Could someone confirm if the guy in the final photograph is Stephen "music video icon" Avery?

"I hate Ayn Rand" HAH! Classic. I have a ton of mods and games (inc. Orange Box and TF2) for steam but I am too cheap to pay more than $30 for L4D, so I'm waiting for it to reduce in price (I only payed 30 for Orange Box so that's my magic number now).

More
10 Feb 2009 18:50 #20735 by PseudoIntellectual
I only got to play the demo for L4D, but I like the Assault rifle best, followed by the shotgun. The Scoped Semi-Auto is interesting, but I ended up dumping it for the Assault rifle once I emptied it's entire ammo-allotment (80 rounds or w/e) into a "Hulk" (or whatever the big boss thing is called) and it still didn't go down.

More
10 Feb 2009 23:28 #20755 by hacksword
Replied by hacksword on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
PseudoIntellectual wrote:

I have a ton of mods and games (inc. Orange Box and TF2) for steam but I am too cheap to pay more than $30 for L4D, so I'm waiting for it to reduce in price (I only payed 30 for Orange Box so that's my magic number now).

Screw Left 4 Dead, come join us in a TF2 game.

-The Hackstinguisher

More
13 Feb 2009 19:24 - 13 Feb 2009 19:26 #21111 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Left 4 Dead is now 50% off (now $25) on Steam for this weekend only (Feb. 13-15). I just pulled the trigger.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2009 19:26 by Bullwinkle.

More
13 Feb 2009 22:00 #21118 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
A week after I buy it???
Fucking pricks!

More
14 Feb 2009 07:22 #21132 by Notahandle
Thanks Bullwinkle! Looks like time to grab a copy and pray it'll work fine on my iMac with Boot Camp. (I don't know for certain as my hard disk spring cleaning is taking quite a while...)

More
14 Feb 2009 08:33 - 14 Feb 2009 08:35 #21137 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:FAT Steam Group
Mr Skeletor wrote:

A week after I buy it???
Fucking pricks!

Yeah, I've had this happen to me, too. It's completely changed my buying habits.

Here's one of the things I love about Steam...the game you want will eventually go on sale. Without fail, there's a sale every weekend (except for the week after the annual Christmas sale) on one, maybe two games, so if there's something you've been looking to buy, make sure you check in Friday night or Saturday morning to see what the deal is. It's usually not small, either; generally a minimum of 20-25% off, and more often 50% or even 75%. That's besides the normal price drops that happen to any given software over time. And right after Christmas, literally everything goes on sale for a couple of weeks.

I have an ungodly number of games through Steam because of its sales. Now I end up spending roughly the same each year on games--maybe a little more--but I get twice the games. It's pretty sweet. Plus, it gives me the chance to try out a game I would never buy at full price. I've found some real gems this way (and more than a couple stinkers, too).

The problem is the waiting. The sale usually takes several weeks to a few months to show up, so that's kind of a pain in the ass. Still, not a bad deal to be 3-4 months behind the current releases but to have double the games.

I do still get dinged sometimes when Steam suddenly acquires a game that's already been out for a while that I've already bought. Just this week, Steam started offering Spectromancer for $8, which, naturally, I bought earlier through the developer for $20. I've barely even played it. Fuckers.

Notahandle wrote:

Thanks Bullwinkle! Looks like time to grab a copy and pray it'll work fine on my iMac with Boot Camp. (I don't know for certain as my hard disk spring cleaning is taking quite a while...)

Is there no demo available? If there isn't, the game is based off the Source engine, so if you can play any of those games (like HL2), there's a good chance it should run okay. Hope it works.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2009 08:35 by Bullwinkle.

More
14 Feb 2009 12:13 #21155 by Notahandle
Bullwinkle wrote:
"Is there no demo available?"
Yes, but... I need to spring clean and backup before I'm willing to set up Boot Camp and install XP. The weekend offer will certainly expire before I finish. Steam is a download and I've been unable to discover if I can resell the game later. So I either take a chance now or wait until the next time it's on offer. (Which could be months and far too long to wait!)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.828 seconds