October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place for boardgame traitors.

Freedom Force + sequel cheap online.

More
01 Jun 2009 12:20 - 01 Jun 2009 12:46 #30976 by Bullwinkle
If any of you guys missed this game when it first came out, Freedom Force and its sequel are now available for cheap ($6.74 in NA, not sure about elsewhere) through Steam. FF is an awesome mission-based tactical superhero squad game, set in a Silver Age comic universe with all the hilariously groan-inducing, over-the-top cheesiness that implies. (The sequel is Golden Age.)

Heroes have widely differing powers, and the game has a ton of replayability as different squads of heroes--and, in general, you get to choose the heroes you take on a mission--require you to use different tactics to accomplish your missions. Plus, heroes can improve their powers, and gain new ones, as they gain XP. There's also a Danger Room for random chaos, and I believe it has multiplayer, for those who are interested.

The maps are completely destructible, and items like cars, lampposts, and picnic tables are available for throwing at your enemies (if you have the strength to do so). Crazy fun.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 12:46 by Bullwinkle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2009 12:37 #30977 by Juniper
Super fun games. I wish they'd finished the storyline.

For a while there were tonnes of fan-created add-ons available for the game, including loads of DC and Marvel characters, special effects for various super powers, and fan-created levels that sometimes sort of worked, kinda.

My favorite character was MAN-BOT.

More
01 Jun 2009 13:34 #30989 by moss_icon
this is bargainous. i played the original years ago and bought this at the weekend, but haven't had time to play yet.

More
01 Jun 2009 13:35 #30990 by Shellhead
I'm interested. I've been a comic fan since before I could read, and I think that my PC should be able to run it (HP PC with Windows XP, circa 2003). How would this multiplayer mode work? Online?

More
01 Jun 2009 16:47 #31046 by Bullwinkle
I've never played multiplayer, but the manual says you can play online or in a LAN. Your PC certainly should run it--the game was released in 2002--but you can check the specs on the sale page (click on the game itself, not the package) if you want to know for sure. Don't miss the single player. There are a lot of missions, they play very differently, and the story is fun.

Man-Bot was cool, although he was a pain to use until he was leveled up. Then he was brutal.

My favourite was definitely Alchemiss. She was a game-changer.

More
01 Jun 2009 17:03 #31054 by Rliyen
Bullwinkle wrote:

I've never played multiplayer, but the manual says you can play online or in a LAN. Your PC certainly should run it--the game was released in 2002--but you can check the specs on the sale page (click on the game itself, not the package) if you want to know for sure. Don't miss the single player. There are a lot of missions, they play very differently, and the story is fun.

Man-Bot was cool, although he was a pain to use until he was leveled up. Then he was brutal.

My favourite was definitely Alchemiss. She was a game-changer.

The first game was definitely an homage to Kirby and Marvel Comics. I always wanted to do a Cobra Commander type "hero" with the Hero Maker thingy, but never got around to it. I remember that they had the Cobra troopers costumes done, however.

Hmmmmmm. Something to play after I finish Fallout that's not The Ship. I just bought the second game for about $4.00 at Big Lots (where game hos go to shop). I have the first one, but haven't gotten around to actually finishing it.

More
01 Jun 2009 18:12 #31070 by Shellhead
Bullwinkle wrote:

I've got a feeling that my computer falls short on the video card:

"32 MB or greater supported Direct3D capable video card with DirectX 8.1 compatible driver."

I've got the DirectX part covered, but Direct3D capable video card? Probably not. That's one of the frustrating aspects of PC gaming, the guesswork about compatibility. Sure, I can theoretically crack open my case and install a new video card, but I'm squeamish about static possibly messing up my computer. I have fairly hairy arms, so I tend to generate a lot of static.

More
01 Jun 2009 18:37 #31074 by moss_icon
post what graphics card you have.

if you're not sure how, right click on the desktop and choose properties.

go to settings.

in the middle it'll say something like

1. T190 monitor on ATI Radeon 9200

the latter bit is your graphics card. from that we can work out whether you can run the game.

More
01 Jun 2009 18:48 - 01 Jun 2009 18:53 #31076 by Bullwinkle
Direct3D is part of DirectX. If you are running DirectX 8.1 or better, then your card is D3D capable. Actually, I suspect you wouldn't even be capable of purchasing a (new) video card in 2003 that wasn't DX8.1 capable. But follow moss's instructions and we can confirm it.

In this case, I think you'll see you don't need a replacement card, but if you need to make a change in the future, don't be too worried about static. It's easy to deal with; just make sure you touch something grounded before you open it (and turn off your van der Graaf generator) and you will be completely fine. Even with your brutish gorilla arms.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 18:53 by Bullwinkle.

More
01 Jun 2009 20:25 #31085 by Mr Skeletor
I still got the original, great game!
Is the sequel any good?

More
01 Jun 2009 20:46 #31089 by Jason Lutes
The sequel is awesome, Skelly. Some really great new characters, and the game engine is a lot more polished. One of the best-written video games ever, imo, and a must-play for any fan of classic, cheesy (but awesome) Kirby-era superhero comics.

I recommend playing both games at the first level of difficulty above normal, makes for a great challenge.

This a great deal, anyone who hasn't tried these games should jump on it!

More
01 Jun 2009 21:18 #31095 by Shellhead
moss_icon wrote:

go to settings.

the latter bit is your graphics card. from that we can work out whether you can run the game.

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

Whatever that means... I do recognize the NVIDIA part.

More
01 Jun 2009 21:40 - 01 Jun 2009 21:42 #31098 by Jason Lutes
Shellhead wrote:

I think as long as you have at least 32MB of memory on that card you should be fine, but wait for an opinion from someone more tech-savvy than me...

EDIT: It looks like you can download a demo from the Steam page, so maybe you could just try that and see if it works on your rig.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 21:42 by Jason Lutes.

More
01 Jun 2009 21:48 - 01 Jun 2009 21:48 #31100 by Ochobee

Shellhead wrote:

That card is DirectX 8.1 compatible- should be able to run FF.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2009 21:48 by Ochobee.

More
01 Jun 2009 21:51 #31102 by Rliyen
Shellhead wrote:

moss_icon wrote:

go to settings.

Let me get this straight.... You create board games, yet you don't know the capabilities of your video card?

Turn in your geek badge, now! =o)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.042 seconds