October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

A lot of insults and a little bit about the old Warrior Knights

More
19 Nov 2008 08:07 #14141 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:The old Warrior Knights
I have invented a device that can stomp people's testicles from across the internet, and I will not hesitate to use it if people start talking politics.

STOMP.

YO.

TESTICLES.

You've been warned.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2008 11:21 #14151 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:The old Warrior Knights
Ken B. wrote:

Back on topic--sorry, I haven't played WK. Always struck me as redundant if I had Game of Thrones [...]

I already said that: The two games are quite different.

More
19 Nov 2008 11:27 #14152 by Schweig!
If quozl and SouthernMan would actually be arguing for a reason ... if you didn't read the thread on BGG you'd think they were kicking their balls for nothing. Which is kinda weird.

More
19 Nov 2008 13:20 #14161 by southernman
Schweig! wrote:

If quozl and SouthernMan would actually be arguing for a reason ... if you didn't read the thread on BGG you'd think they were kicking their balls for nothing. Which is kinda weird.

[/i]

Quite explicitly mentioned in my third post on the first page :huh:.

More
19 Nov 2008 14:07 #14166 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:The old Warrior Knights
Ken B. wrote:

I have invented a device that can stomp people's testicles from across the internet, and I will not hesitate to use it if people start talking politics.

King Charles II of Spain had more balls than I have, so eat shit. I only bow for Mr Skeletor (willingly)

More
20 Nov 2008 09:49 - 20 Nov 2008 09:49 #14213 by ChristopherMD
I don't read BGG so I have no clue what you two are calling each other out for. Which just makes it that much funnier.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2008 09:49 by ChristopherMD.

More
20 Nov 2008 11:40 #14215 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:The old Warrior Knights
Southernman wrote:

See, that's kind of the problem. Three posts on the first page? Something's up. Like up your butt and around the corner.

Kids' insults for the win!

Meanwhile....

WARRIOR KNIGHTS looks like something that would have been great if I'd gotten into the hobby before Fantasy Flight blew everyone away. Now that FFG has set a new standard, there's not a lot of drive for to revisit a design like this-I don't have nostalgia, so unless it's a unique experience, there's no there there.

DUNE for example, has yet to be duplicated in any decent sense. So it still gets the looks it deserves. Does Ye Olden WARRIOR KNIGHTS belong in the same class?

More
20 Nov 2008 11:55 #14217 by Matt Thrower
jeb wrote:
DUNE for example, has yet to be duplicated in any decent sense. So it still gets the looks it deserves. Does Ye Olden WARRIOR KNIGHTS belong in the same class?[/quote]

No, but it's in the next class down. Dune and (arguably) Fury of Dracula are deservedly in the "all time classics list". Warrior Knights is in the "old, but still worth a play" list. Underneath that there's tons and tons of crap :)

More
20 Nov 2008 13:08 #14218 by Schweig!
Southernman wrote:

Schweig! wrote:

[/i]

What I mean: It would make sense if you would actually discuss the "opinions on your drug dealing bro" or the incidence of "the spineless prick who whined off to the admins", instead your conversation ran more like this:

You arsehole.
You bastard.
You cocksucker.
You douchebag.
You egghead
You fool.
You goon.
You hobo.
You idiot.
You jerk.
You knacker.
You lunatic.
You moron.
You nutter.
You ostrich.
You poof.
You quack.
You retard.
You shithead.
You tosser.

More
20 Nov 2008 14:06 #14220 by southernman
Discussions ended a looooong time ago.

Please don't take it upon yourself to think you know better about how I feel on this matter and how I should proceed ... I get enough of that on T.O.S.

More
20 Nov 2008 16:07 - 20 Nov 2008 16:07 #14225 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:The old Warrior Knights
MattDP wrote:

jeb wrote:

DUNE for example, has yet to be duplicated in any decent sense. So it still gets the looks it deserves. Does Ye Olden WARRIOR KNIGHTS belong in the same class?

No, but it's in the next class down. Dune and (arguably) Fury of Dracula are deservedly in the "all time classics list". Warrior Knights is in the "old, but still worth a play" list. Underneath that there's tons and tons of crap :)

Yeah, but is WARRIOR KNIGHTS, the -old- version worth the effort to track it down when the new one is on the shelf? DUNE has no modern equivalent as yet, and FURY OF DRACULA went from pewter to painted plastic and had some rules changes--maybe the old version is still worth the effort.

I think of it like this...

Only a real diehard is going to make the time to track down the original ARKHAM HORROR game. I bet only a collector is going to jump through the hoops needed to land an AH TITAN now that VG is finally un-fucked. Does WARRIOR KNIGHTS v1 deserve the same effort as FoD on this scale?
Last edit: 20 Nov 2008 16:07 by jeb. Reason: fixed quotes

More
20 Nov 2008 16:15 #14227 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Re:The old Warrior Knights
There's one on Ebay right now for $8.99 with free shipping. If the old one is just as good (or better) than the new one, why not save some money?

More
20 Nov 2008 16:33 #14229 by Mr Skeletor
quozl wrote:

There's one on Ebay right now for $8.99 with free shipping. If the old one is just as good (or better) than the new one, why not save some money?

But is it? 6 pages on and I'm still waiting to hear then answer.

More
20 Nov 2008 16:37 #14230 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Re:The old Warrior Knights
I know it's hard finding the Warrior Knights parts of this thread but Matt earlier compared the two:

MattDP wrote:

Warrior Knights is one of the best old-school conflict games around, but it is very much old-school: long, fairly complex, and prone to diplomacy overriding mechanics. If you're happy with that sort of unreconstructed fare, you'll enjoy it. If you prefer things more refined then you probably won't.

In terms of facing up to the FFG edition, my opinion is that one is no better than the other. FFG smartened it up, smoothed off the rough edges and made it more integrated, streamlined package for the modern audience. However, in doing so they took much of the interest out of the game, hence the common complaints that the game ends when it feels just like it's getting started. If you change the victory conditions and play for longer it ends up being very much more like the original.

As an aside, this is the problem with game companies "updating" old designs. In doing a modern update, what made the older game interesting and enjoyable is often removed in the process. Companies that republish games should just republish them pretty much straight - and if they see an idea in an older game that they like, far better to spend the development time and effort in growing something new from a worthwhile seed than trying to redevelop a game into something it wasn't meant to be.

More
20 Nov 2008 17:38 #14231 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:The old Warrior Knights
Dude, for 9 bucks, how can you go wrong?

If you don't like it, it's not like you haven't blown 9 bucks on a crappy DVD you didn't like, and gave it to your cousin or something.

GO FOR IT~!

B)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds