October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2720 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG putting the stake in Terrinoth, but still rolling with other stuff

More
05 Sep 2019 13:22 #301430 by fightcitymayor

Jackwraith wrote: "Golden age" is in the eye of the beholder.

A lot of the olds are just sad to see a portion of their prime disappear. Whether FFG's games were good or bad, welcome or reviled, the point was always that they were certainly going to be discussed, certainly going to be reviewed, and certainly going to be carried at your FLGS and every significant OLGS. Since Asmodee pulled up the drawbridge and decided to convert FFG into "the Star Wars company" then those consistent eyeballs are fewer with every passing sunset. CMON basically took FFG's business model, moved it to Kickstarter, and became the FFG for the younger set.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, A Lad Insane

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2019 13:42 #301431 by dysjunct

Michael Barnes wrote: I couldn’t care less what FFG does at this point. They are the new Steve Jackson Games. Abandoning what made them great and sliding into a comfortable irrelevancy.

That's a great analogy. I'm sure talks are already underway for Munchkin Terrinoth.

I love Arkham, Fury of Dracula, Doom, Runewars, Runebound, Descent, BSG ... for years FFG was producing the games that really popped on the table and but had more heft than the Days of Wonder catalog. But just like SJG found that the real money was in endless recycling of the Munchkin "brand" for consumers who just wanted to buy what they already liked, FFG couldn't resist the siren song of yet another Star Wars game.

I don't care if people like their stuff, but it's strange to reflect on how quickly things changed from "new FFG game? I'll have to talk myself out of buying it" to considering FFG product announcements as noise that interferes with things I'm actually interested in.

I do think their card sleeves are fantastic though, so I will buy those.

More
05 Sep 2019 13:47 - 05 Sep 2019 16:22 #301432 by ubarose
The biggest mistake FFG made was cutting off our review copies ;)

If Barnes had received a copy of Outer Rim, we'd have an article like the Dune one, waxing poetic and tracing its influences all the way back to Hamblen and Merchants of Venus, with a nod to Perry Rhodan, instead of the declaration of FFG's irrelavance.

I mean that in the nicest way. I would have liked to see our staff's take on Dragonholt, Outer Rim, New Dawn, Journeys in Middle Earth, and FallOut. Maybe if we did, more of us would be playing/talking about these games.

We got Matt's take on Journeys in Middle Earth, and Josh's on Outer Rim and I really appreciated it.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2019 16:22 by ubarose. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, southernman, Msample, Josh Look, Frohike, marcnelsonjr, DarthJoJo, Vysetron, n815e

More
05 Sep 2019 14:13 #301434 by Legomancer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Sep 2019 14:22 #301436 by hotseatgames
If someone didn't give a shit about Star Wars, and I don't, would someone still like Outer Rim?

More
05 Sep 2019 14:28 #301437 by Jackwraith

hotseatgames wrote: If someone didn't give a shit about Star Wars, and I don't, would someone still like Outer Rim?

Star Wars is a funny thing to me. I was enraptured as a kid (saw the original in the theater; don't @ me with your Part Four nonsense) and followed the lore in some of the books and comics, but gradually drifted away, before being totally alienated by the prequels. But I signed on to X-Wing for a while and loved the game, before deciding that collectible things were just not for me.

But there's some appeal left in the IP on the "dark and gritty" side for me. My favorite scene in the original film was the cantina. The only decent part of Return of the Jedi was the Jabba sequence (and even that was corny in a lot of ways.) I confess to being kind of geeked about The Mandalorian. So, there's some appeal for Outer Rim in that respect for me, but having played both it and Firefly, I'd say that if you like one, you'll like the other. It is more pick-up-and-deliver, but Outer Rim streamlines a few areas of that sequence that Firefly doesn't, so I think it's probably worth having both, if you like that style of game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
05 Sep 2019 14:53 - 05 Sep 2019 14:55 #301438 by ubarose
I don't know anything about the part of the Star Wars Universe that Outer Rim is set in. I just really like pick-up-and-deliver games, and this is a good one. You can see the influences of Merchants of Venus, Firefly and Perry Rhoden, but is smooth and polished and plays quickly and effortlessly. The rules just drop away, and you are off to smuggle or hunt bounty or be a law abiding merchant (or a little of each). Have a few adventures, and make your fortune.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2019 14:55 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
05 Sep 2019 15:05 #301439 by Joebot

fightcitymayor wrote: Since Asmodee pulled up the drawbridge and decided to convert FFG into "the Star Wars company" then those consistent eyeballs are fewer with every passing sunset.

Pop Quiz! Which of the following is a fake FFG game that I just made up?

1) Star Wars: Imperial Assault
2) Star Wars: Rebellion
3) Star Wars: Age of Rebellion
4) Star Wars: Empire vs Rebellion
5) Star Wars: Resistance
6) Star Wars: Armada
7) Star Wars: Edge of the Empire
8) Star Wars: Outer Rim
9) Star Wars: Legion
10) Star Wars: Destiny
11)Star Wars: Force and Destiny
12) Star Wars: X-Wing
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, mezike, hotseatgames, drewcula, sornars, Vysetron, n815e

More
05 Sep 2019 15:18 - 05 Sep 2019 15:20 #301441 by Josh Look
Does he mention Outer Rim in this? It’s kind of the only thing by them I care about at the moment, I was hoping it would get a small box expansion at some point.

PS - The answer is Resistance.
Last edit: 05 Sep 2019 15:20 by Josh Look.

More
05 Sep 2019 15:22 #301442 by DarthJoJo
Are any of these bad games though? Empire vs. Rebellion wasn’t anything special when I played it, but there is a certain floor to Fantasy Flight releases, depending on your tolerance for the unit + upgrades system for their miniature games.

Furthermore, I admit I roll my eyes a little with every Star Wars announcement (not least because that’s less time spent on new Android and L5R games), but would anyone be more excited if these were set in the Twilight Imperium universe?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 Sep 2019 15:37 #301445 by drewcula
I think many here may be under-estimating how popular the FFG take on Marvel could become. Between the LCG, and this miniatures game* I saw at Gencon? It could have legs.

*Especially if the Marvel miniatures game is a 3rd edition of what came before; Runewars and Legion.

More
05 Sep 2019 15:39 #301446 by drewcula
But in general; yeah, FFG just seems to be chipping along.

More
05 Sep 2019 15:39 #301447 by Joebot

Josh Look wrote:
PS - The answer is Resistance.

Yep!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
05 Sep 2019 16:02 #301450 by Gary Sax

drewcula wrote: I think many here may be under-estimating how popular the FFG take on Marvel could become. Between the LCG, and this miniatures game* I saw at Gencon? It could have legs.

*Especially if the Marvel miniatures game is a 3rd edition of what came before; Runewars and Legion.

I think the LCG could be fucking huge if it's an adjustment of Arkham LCG. Art is fucking terrible but what are you gonna do, I think coop deckbuilder on brand superheroes sells itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
05 Sep 2019 16:26 #301451 by charlest

drewcula wrote: I think many here may be under-estimating how popular the FFG take on Marvel could become. Between the LCG, and this miniatures game* I saw at Gencon? It could have legs.

The miniatures game will bomb.

1. It isn't FFG
2. It's 35mm or 42mm or something
3. It's a true miniatures game requiring terrain
4. It's as expensive as Games Workshop products
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Rliyen, Gary Sax, Josh Look, marcnelsonjr

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds