October 09, 2023
2518 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2718 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Best Hidden Movement Games OTHER than Fury of Dracula

More
29 Jan 2020 14:59 #306745 by cdennett

ubarose wrote: I'm really digging Sabatoge by Fowers.
[/url].

I was just about to come here and say the same thing, really have enjoyed my plays of Sabotage, and haven't won a single game yet... And unlike most, it's not 1 vs. all, rather 2v2 team game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2020 07:03 #306747 by Nodens
Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan is very good after a couple of plays.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
02 Feb 2020 08:58 #306789 by drewcula
Second post for me in this thread!

I'd love to hear some elaboration on Ubarose's enjoyment of Last Friday. I've only heard mediocre to negative remarks about this game.

And speaking of negativity; Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space! In 2010, this site (F:AT) trashed it. And then dog piled. Yesterday, I bought a copy via Osprey's February sale. For $28 bucks, I'm getting some sort of "Ultimate Edition." IDK, but a lot of 'other' people seem to like this hidden movement game. Knowing the crowd I play with over Thanksgiving at the beach - I'm thinking this title will be right up our alley. And look at me! Plotting turkey day nine months in advance!

More
02 Feb 2020 13:43 - 02 Feb 2020 13:46 #306796 by Josh Look
So it’s MY copy of Last Friday that Uba is fond of, so if my opinion counts (it doesn’t), here goes...

Last Friday is a much better game after repeat plays once you get your expectations under control and come to grips with a few things. First, it’s not Camp Grizzly. If you’re what I call a “surface level,” you’re not going to like it because it is not the be-all-end-all slasher flick game. Nor should you even entertain what the rulebook suggests as a possibility and try to play one of its chapters as a single, smaller session. It’s meant to be played with all four chapters and yes, that makes it long and kind of causes it to rub shoulders with FoD.

HOWEVER....if you can get past all that and give it a few goes, some really interesting things start to become apparent and this really does turn into a very fun, very cool hidden movement game. Experienced FoD players know that part of the fun of the game is that Dracula shouldn’t just hide from start to finish and should attack when the odds are in his favor. This is where some people struggle with FoD. Last Friday has the hunter/hunted roles swap through its full four chapters. This ensures that it will happen and, once you get a few games in, your positioning between chapters is very important and is a fun strategy to learn. The other thing is how small actions early in the game have long lasting ripple effects throughout. The chapters do feel disparate and do lend to a feeling of messiness in the game, but the importance of your choices early game and how everything ties together is pretty neat. It’s a rough gem for sure, but a gem nonetheless.

It also has an expansion that I haven’t played yet, but it introduces two killers on the board at the same time and a sand timer for the campers. It will probably mean a messier game, but I do think the campers should be timed even in the base game and I’m not going to throw out a game that is mimicking Freddy vs Jason.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2020 13:46 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Jackwraith, drewcula

More
03 Feb 2020 07:05 #306814 by drewcula
Any yet, you didn't include Last Friday in your top list of 'Halloween' games?

More
03 Feb 2020 08:47 - 03 Feb 2020 16:35 #306816 by Josh Look
No, but my criteria for that was a little different. I didn’t want to pick games that are good that have horror coat of paint on it, I picked games that used mechanics to create horror instead of scary pictures and flavor text.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2020 16:35 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula

More
03 Feb 2020 20:46 #306832 by Hadik
PQ17 had everything I wanted in a hidden movement game. Elaborate planning. Shifting weather patterns. Historically relevant rules and procedures. Obscure ships and airplanes. Long odds. Lucky breaks. All it lacked (for me at least) was a clear players guide and rule book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
12 Apr 2020 18:28 #309193 by Oatmeal
Hm, you getting rid of Letters from Whitechapel but liking Whitehall Mystery makes me want to try it. I avoided it because I also found Whitechapel too dry and didn't think Whitehall Mystery would be different enough to bother with

More
20 Oct 2020 16:23 #315380 by Zunga
I'm in the midst of playtesting a hidden movement game (1 vs all) based on the 1962 escape from Alcatraz called Alcatraz: Escape The City. Gameplay centers on the convicts trying to get necessary items to flee the city before the cops can catch them. Since everyone on this thread is into hidden movement games, I'd love to see what you think. Anyone want to playtest? I have it up on Tabletop Simulator and Tabletopia.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds