October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Hulk: out Trashin' Ameri games since 1989

More
23 Jul 2009 00:35 #36025 by Joe_Richter
So, I just got (back) in to board games, and I've been mainly playing other peoples games, but I got to thinking what board games I own/used to play, and one sprang to mind more than the rest (can you guess which one it was).

So, after rootling round in my long term storage (boxes shoved under bed), I've been reconditioning my 1st edition of Space Hulk. I actually ended up buying a 50% spares 1st edition from ebay for cheap to suplement what I already have. The main things missing where the plastic minis, which I also lack, as they were my first attempt at painting. That's OK though because, as always happens in situations like these, my plans have expended and I'm replaceing all the original models with new bought citidel minis, which means I've got back into mini painting, which means I've started spending even more money on extras for the minis.

I've also got potentially ambitious plans for the mini bases, as the new terminator minis are on 40mm bases, whule they should really be on 25mm bases. Now, I could just base the terminators on 25mm bases, but I've started thinking of playing warhammer 40k again (intention escalation once again), so I'm working an a way to mount them on 25mm bases, but have them able to be dropped into 40mm bases as well, all with modeled bases. As I said, ambitious.

Anyway, I've got all the card stock tiles, and the deathwing manual (where's the box? Who knows), so I'm gonna run a few games, but I'm already remembering why I liked the game so much, the rules are real simple but real good at ratcheting up the tension for the marine player. Looking forward to it. I'm already thinking ahead to other games like this I used to own/play, and I just spotted an Advanced Space Crusade box up on e-bay.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2009 01:53 #36029 by Michael Barnes
Welcome back, Joe. You missed a lot.

Including the rumblings from various sources that SPACE HULK may see a reprint fairly soon.

Definitely one of the best AT games ever published...there's also a homebrew PC game floating around out there if you can find that a couple of Swedes knocked together. GW got pissy and it vanished.

If you can find it, SPACE CRUSADE is worth your time too...it's basically a HEROQUEST style game but with some similarity to SPACE HULK. A lot simpler and more shoot 'em up, but it's a really fun one. ADVANCED SPACE CRUSADE is much closer to SPACE HULK.

More
23 Jul 2009 09:17 #36033 by kookoobah
I hope they really reprint this, and make it in bulk. Not some dumbass 200 copy only special edition or whatever. That would suck.

More
23 Jul 2009 11:27 #36044 by Joe_Richter
Yah, I actually owned (and lost) advanced space crusade, I even had the extra map pieces from White Dwarf cut out and pasted on cardboard :)

GW wouldn't re-print Space Hulk, but they might release a 3rd edition box, though they've been keeping away from game-in-a-box releases recently. If they do, I'd be amazed if they didn't include rules for all their major 40k troops, like they started doing with the latter space hulk releases, and Advanced space crusade. More models to sell and all.

More
23 Jul 2009 21:16 #36103 by The Expanding Man
Joe_Richter wrote:

GW wouldn't re-print Space Hulk, but they might release a 3rd edition box, though they've been keeping away from game-in-a-box releases recently. If they do, I'd be amazed if they didn't include rules for all their major 40k troops, like they started doing with the latter space hulk releases, and Advanced space crusade. More models to sell and all.

In my neck of the woods, GW re-released 3rd ed Bloodbowl in a box about 18 months ago. It was a strange marketing model - only independant stores stocked it, not GW stores.

More
01 Aug 2009 17:04 #36787 by kookoobah
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/428387

Can GW possibly be this mean? I have had no prior experience with the company. Dear Lord, I hope Space Hulk isn't going to be limited edition when it comes out. Is there anybody I could possibly ask to grab one for me? Then have it shipped over here? Jesus, this is giving me a headache, and it's not even confirmed yet for real.

More
01 Aug 2009 18:01 #36789 by Notahandle
If I still posted over there I'd quickly add a comment stating that it was going to be limited to UK GW stores only.

More
01 Aug 2009 18:03 #36790 by southernman
Notahandle wrote:

If I still posted over there I'd quickly add a comment stating that it was going to be limited to UK GW stores only.

You're naughty Adrian - tee hee.

More
02 Aug 2009 08:43 #36817 by southernman
Michael Barnes wrote:

Definitely one of the best AT games ever published...there's also a homebrew PC game floating around out there if you can find that a couple of Swedes knocked together. GW got pissy and it vanished.

For all those who want a copy, you can download it from here Space Hulk (Homebrew PC)

It's on a free http download site so will only be there for 7 days, if you miss it you'll have to get me to post it back up.

More
02 Aug 2009 09:57 #36820 by kookoobah
Southernman wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

For all those who want a copy, you can download it from here Space Hulk (Homebrew PC)

It's on a free http download site so will only be there for 7 days, if you miss it you'll have to get me to post it back up.

You are the man!

More
02 Aug 2009 12:15 - 18 Aug 2009 11:33 #36823 by southernman
And if anyone used to or wants to play GW games via Vassal, I've also managed to download a lot of the modules just before they were pulled .........
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 11:33 by southernman.

More
02 Aug 2009 12:18 - 02 Aug 2009 12:21 #36824 by Dr. Mabuse
Southernman wrote:

And if anyone used to or wants to play GW games via Vassal, I've also managed to download a lot of the modules just before they were pulled when GW got pissy over them as well .... no one send them my address.

Tom are you looking to do live Vassal or PBEM? (a la Dune)
Last edit: 02 Aug 2009 12:21 by Dr. Mabuse.

More
02 Aug 2009 13:09 - 18 Aug 2009 11:34 #36826 by southernman
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

Southernman wrote:

And if anyone used to or wants to play GW games via Vassal, I've also managed to download a lot of the modules just before they were pulled when GW got pissy over them as well .... no one send them my address.

Tom are you looking to do live Vassal or PBEM? (a la Dune)

Actually ... neither :-)

I was just volunteering the modules since they aren't available anymore, I haven't really played many of the actual boardgames and time is tight these days so it's not on the top of my list of things to do in the near future.

The modules that were 'rescued' are:

Battlefleet Gothic
BloodBowl
LotR-TMG
Necromunda
SpaceCrusade
SpaceHulk
Talisman 2nd
Talisman 3rd
Warhammer40K
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 11:34 by southernman.

More
02 Aug 2009 13:20 #36827 by Dr. Mabuse
Ahhhhh, got it. Nice save by the way. I'd be interested in the SH module.

More
02 Aug 2009 14:34 - 18 Aug 2009 11:31 #36829 by southernman
'Rescued' GW Vassal Modules (have been seen):
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 11:31 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds