October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Hulk: out Trashin' Ameri games since 1989

More
06 Aug 2009 11:28 #37125 by Thaadd
When I get canned and have to go back to working in swamps counting bugs on the stems of purple loosestrife, I'll have less time to post :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2009 13:59 #37142 by Aarontu

When I get canned and have to go back to working in swamps counting bugs on the stems of purple loosestrife, I'll have less time to post :P

We certainly don't want to get you canned; I won't be quoting you on any of the secrets you have revealed in this forum.

Now, I tried submitting Attack of the Squirrel Demons from Planet X to the BGG game database, but it was rejected (didn't have enough info about it). Could you please let me know just a bit more about it? (Info does not have to be current; I remember the StarCraft game entry said the game used clear cards until it was nearly released!)

More
17 Aug 2009 04:52 #38091 by Matt Thrower
It's back. Pre-order now:

www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/produ...amp;_requestid=32753

(the GW site dislikes direct links - but just go to your local front page. It'll be there)

In spite of the fact I'm convinced this won't be as good as 1st Edition (which I own) I'm sorely tempted by this, even at that price tag. The miniatures look great, although for my money the board sections looks like poo.

More
17 Aug 2009 05:52 #38094 by mads b.
I simply can't find out if I should order or not. The game looks cool, I've played several computer versions a lot and it's a good game. But I also have DOOM that fills the same niche and it gets played too little. And the same goes for other two player games I own. I am tempted by the sheer amount of plastic and the rep the game has and deserves, but even though I just registrered I think it's a nogo.

More
17 Aug 2009 07:12 - 17 Aug 2009 08:03 #38096 by southernman
MattDP wrote:

It's back. Pre-order now:

www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/produ...amp;_requestid=32753

(the GW site dislikes direct links - but just go to your local front page. It'll be there)

In spite of the fact I'm convinced this won't be as good as 1st Edition (which I own) I'm sorely tempted by this, even at that price tag. The miniatures look great, although for my money the board sections looks like poo.

OK - are the minis pre-painted, it doesn't mention it but they look it but that doesn't mean the shots aren't just promo shots with specially painted minis ???

UPDATED: Just followed a couple of linked articles and this one shows the minis ... unpainted :(
Last edit: 17 Aug 2009 08:03 by southernman.

More
17 Aug 2009 12:05 #38153 by Columbob
I wonder if the minis are the same scale as regular 40K minis are right now. They might be a tad smaller? Although that would mean new sculpts and molds, so maybe not.

Looks like they added a few bells and whistles to the 3rd edition game. Lightning claws, assault cannon, librarian, stealer papa, minis for the objectives (wounded marine)...sounds pretty good.

The board sections pretty much look like 3rd edition's. If I got the new one I could mix and match them for bigger boards.

Did they ditch the timer?

Not sure it's worth it though if I already have it, this game is more expensive than a FFG coffin-sized box. I'm sorely tempted though.

More
17 Aug 2009 12:22 #38161 by LilRed

This boxed game contains: a 23-page Rulebook, a 47-page Mission book and 35 finely-detailed, plastic Citadel miniatures, including: 11 Space Marine Terminators, one Space Marine Terminator Librarian, 22 Genestealers, and one Broodlord.

Also included are: 105 gaming counters, 24 corridors, 10 rooms, eight crossroads, eight T-junctions, six corner sections, four dead ends, four end pieces, 20 doors with plastic stands, one mission status display, and three plastic mission objectives, including: a dead Space Marine on throne, a Blood Angels artefact and a Cyber-Altered Task Unit. Plus a sand timer and five bone-coloured dice unique to this game.

There is definitely a timer. Thank god.

More
17 Aug 2009 13:31 #38169 by metalface13
Yeah, this is a tough call. I've never played Space Hulk except for that java version that came out a while back. But it's one of those games that has been out of print for so long that I feel like you'd kick yourself if you passed the opportunity to get it.

But I'm trying to wean off the board games, but it's great for 2 players which is what I usually game with.

The other question is, does anyone know how big the run will be? Will I be safe if it gets put on the Xmas list? Or will it be sold out by then?

More
17 Aug 2009 13:40 #38170 by Columbob
metalface13 wrote:

Yeah, this is a tough call. I've never played Space Hulk except for that java version that came out a while back. But it's one of those games that has been out of print for so long that I feel like you'd kick yourself if you passed the opportunity to get it.

But I'm trying to wean off the board games, but it's great for 2 players which is what I usually game with.

The other question is, does anyone know how big the run will be? Will I be safe if it gets put on the Xmas list? Or will it be sold out by then?

Someone said 70 000 copies in the other thread. The article on the GW page recommends we don't wait until Christmas as it will likely be sold out by then.

I'm thinking of getting it, and if anything, you'll be able to sell it back on the used market since the game will be out of print once again...

More
17 Aug 2009 14:00 #38172 by billyz
WOW.

I'm actually eating my hat. I've once stated that GW will only re-release SH when the sky falls and well snowballs roll leisurly down from the highest peaks of Hell. I definately like the minis. Very pretty. Not sure about the tile design- although you can't see much from the pics on the website.

I just really wish they would have posted some rules or something: as far as I'm concerned 1st Ed rules are_THE_ definitaive version of Space Hulk-- not that dummied down horse shit that was 2nd Ed. The only inetresring, not entirely, good thing that came out of 2nd ed was the new flamer rules. Personally I would have gladly dumped the new flamer rules to be able to use command points as an interrupt during the genestealers turn- it added an extremely satisfying psychological aspect to the game.

That and those 2nd Ed dice... oofah. Personally I think I'm gonna hold of on purchasing the game and see if I can pick up some of the new mission and figs off GW.

More
17 Aug 2009 14:07 #38174 by Mr MOTO
I took a chance and pre-ordered it from someone on Ebay for much less than the GW price. I'll either be in an Ebay/PayPal battle with them in Sept or will have a brand new SH then.

I was at GenCon and was going to mention that FFG made it crystal clear a few days ago to me that they were NOT going to produce SP, ever... But I guess that doesn't matter now that GW has let the cat out of the bag about a day or two after I knew that FFG wasn't going to do it.

More
17 Aug 2009 14:24 #38180 by billyz
Mr MOTO wrote:

I took a chance and pre-ordered it from someone on Ebay for much less than the GW price. I'll either be in an Ebay/PayPal battle with them in Sept or will have a brand new SH then.

I was at GenCon and was going to mention that FFG made it crystal clear a few days ago to me that they were NOT going to produce SP, ever... But I guess that doesn't matter now that GW has let the cat out of the bag about a day or two after I knew that FFG wasn't going to do it.

*laugh* Experiance has taught me to never believe a fucking thing GW ever says.

Fun Fact: Gw is a publicly traded company.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds