October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Hulk: out Trashin' Ameri games since 1989

More
02 Aug 2009 17:15 #36833 by Space Ghost
Is it possible that we can find all of them by the side of the road? This is a HUGE save.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2009 04:18 #36862 by Matt Thrower
Space Ghost wrote:

Is it possible that we can find all of them by the side of the road? This is a HUGE save.

Use a download manager - didn't take me long to hoover them up. Thanks Southern!

I'm still pretty suspicious about this. I'm more convinced now that it's actually going to happen, but given GWs recent track record I'm not at all sure that I'll be dropping my complete 1st edition set in favour of this new printing. It might look great, but the game itself might well also be 100% fail.

More
03 Aug 2009 13:09 - 03 Aug 2009 13:19 #36886 by southernman
MattDP wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Use a download manager - didn't take me long to hoover them up. Thanks Southern!

I'm still pretty suspicious about this. I'm more convinced now that it's actually going to happen, but given GWs recent track record I'm not at all sure that I'll be dropping my complete 1st edition set in favour of this new printing. It might look great, but the game itself might well also be 100% fail.

Some of the minis guys at our club are tight with the GW guys in town (they were in demoing their new LotR minis game earlier this year) so I'm seeing if they can get any blood out of the stone.

Sorry about the big Vassal downloads - but as it's a free service and my upload speed is only 500kb it was going to be a freakin pain in the ass. You guys will just have to take the pain ;-p

(I was probably a bit blasé with the download sizes as my cable provider has just upped their/my minimum broadband package to 10MB)
Last edit: 03 Aug 2009 13:19 by southernman.

More
03 Aug 2009 13:15 #36888 by Mr MOTO
Thanks Southernman!

More
03 Aug 2009 13:57 #36902 by Space Ghost
MattDP wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Ignore my previous remarks -- I was able to download them fine, thanks Southern! I just didn't realize that they were all zipped in the one folder because Talisman had its own.

More
03 Aug 2009 14:07 #36905 by kookoobah
Southernman wrote:

Some of the minis guys at our club are tight with the GW guys in town (they were in demoing their new LotR minis game earlier this year) so I'm seeing if they can get any blood out of the stone.

Post that when you find out, I'd love to stop hoping against hope if this is all just BS.

More
03 Aug 2009 19:19 #36932 by Thaadd
Devils Advocate here. (if the devil is a publisher)

THIS STATEMENT IS NOT ABOUT THIS GAME BUT GAME RELEASES IN GENERAL

Woe to any employee who gives info not approved by marketing department. I can speak from experience, I always talk/post about games knowing that what I might say can be quoted, posted, and re/misquoted - and I might catch hell for it. Even sometimes just breaking a statement into to text blocks in an email gets one thing quoted and the 'caveat' part not, resulting in a totally different message.

Partial tidbits of information, from well meaning people who don't know the whole story can get taken the wrong way, and a 'WOW' sort of game release can lose its shiny if people know the details dribbled out of order, or incorrectly.

Even saying something won't happen has an effect on the environment a future potential game might dunked in. Why would you produce something when you have said you won't? If it's a licensed game, why would X IP person approach you if you've already said you're not going to be doing something? Or if it's in the middle of happening, but the contract is not finalized, terms can change... or it might die before birth.

Also, people get grumpy when they DO get excited about something and it's ....slow.... most designers would rather put out something good, than something fast. If you say 'Attack of the Squirrel Demons from Planet X' will be produced, but the playtesters report mechanics difficulties - and it goes back to the drawing board - you start getting angry fans. (You would not believe how many 'Where is my Squirrel Demon Game emails I get!)

It's not some sort of adversarial approach to the fanbase, just trying to keep the people who 'get people excited about stuff for a living' (Marketing) working with a full toolbox. Big things get announced at gaming shows, in time for big ordering sprees of shops for the holidays... where the exposure and control are best.

More
04 Aug 2009 05:06 #36952 by raviv
So, Thaadd, what you are basically saying is that FFG are going to reprint Space Hulk ?
Sorry. I had to.

But there's something interesting I noticed lately regarding GW (I don't play WH myself, so it's an outsider view). Every Warhammer fansite has a large section (news, forums) dedicated to "rumors". I started to wonder if maybe GW wants things to work this way. Almost all the information about new releases of miniatures and books seems to come from "rumors" and pictures that show a new model "by mistake" etc'.
Maybe that's the way their Marketing works. Drop a few hints and let the fans do the rest.

More
04 Aug 2009 08:37 #36954 by Columbob
raviv wrote:

Almost all the information about new releases of miniatures and books seems to come from "rumors" and pictures that show a new model "by mistake" etc'.
Maybe that's the way their Marketing works. Drop a few hints and let the fans do the rest.

GW always bring some work in progress at every Games Day (3-4 of them annually in North America), usually miniatures (which in turn foreshadow a new army book or whatever).

More
04 Aug 2009 14:16 #36984 by Pat II
FFG is reprinting Space Hulk? Awesome, I just posted this over at Boardgamegoof...

More
04 Aug 2009 14:29 #36986 by ChristopherMD
Is there an expected release date for Attack of the Squirrel Demons from Planet X yet? Will it be a coffin-box game or part of FFG's Silver Line perhaps?

More
04 Aug 2009 14:41 - 04 Aug 2009 14:42 #36988 by Aarontu
Is Squirrel Demon a code name for Reins of Power or something?

Where is my Squirrel Demon Game!?
Last edit: 04 Aug 2009 14:42 by Aarontu.

More
04 Aug 2009 15:03 #36989 by metalface13
There had better not be any Squirrel Demons from Planet X promo minis at GenCon as I am not attending. If there are, I will not purchase it because I will not be able to PLAY THE GAME IN ITS ENTIRETY! So please, no Chipmunk Succubi promos.

More
05 Aug 2009 15:30 #37058 by Thaadd
As I was sitting eating lunch, reading this, I had to try to see what I could google on Squirrel Demons...

This image just.... wins...

When I was a teenager, one of the forum names I used to use was 'Riot Sqrrl'.

More
05 Aug 2009 19:13 #37073 by Mr MOTO
Ok, I must be missing the post. What did Thaadd say was the official release date of the new FFG edition of Space Hulk? Can we preorder?

mwahahaha

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds