October 09, 2023
2220 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2439 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Games You Regret Trading or Selling

More
25 May 2020 07:35 #310600 by san il defanso
I know a few of us here are the type to frequently unload games that aren't getting played that much, and I'm included in that number. I sell off games all the time, and my collection now has gotten a whole lot leaner and meaner in the process. But I'm curious if any of you unloaders have ever had a game that you really regretted getting rid of. I'll start...

When we got ready to move to the Philippines, I sold off about a third of my game collection. There were a few brutal choices made in that process, and I regret almost none of them. But the one game I do regret is Pirate's Cove. It's very much MY kind of game, filled with double-guessing, bluffing, and dice-rolling. That's my style exactly. I especially regret getting rid of it now, because my son is getting to the age where he could play the game easily, and it's the sort of thing that would have been PERFECT right now. Unfortunately, while I can replace some of the games I've moved on, this particular one is difficult. I don't regret much in this hobby, but I do regret letting go of this one.

I actually sold it and held on to Merchants & Marauders. I really regret that now, because if I want to play that kind of game Merchant of Venus and Outer Rim are much stronger options. Would that I had listened to my heart and kept Pirate's Cove instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Cranberries, Vysetron, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2020 08:15 #310601 by Vysetron
This is well timed because I'm finally having my first actual regret despite it having been years since I sold it: Disc Duelers.

For the unfamiliar, it's a Level 99 joint that's essentially a tabletop skirmish game. Terrain setup, dedicated move and attack actions, loads of special unit powers, the works. It's also a dexterity game.

I got rid of it because we barely played it, but still really enjoyed the handful of times we did. Now it's out of print though still semi-available. May track a copy down if this feeling sticks.

More
25 May 2020 08:53 #310602 by hotseatgames
Vysetron, there is an upcoming game from Elzra that will probably scratch that itch, and I’m not talking about Phantom Division. I don’t remember what it’s called though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
25 May 2020 09:58 #310604 by Shellhead
I can count on one hand the number of times that I have sold or traded away a game, and I have no regrets regarding those five games. What I do regret is the games that I haven't sold or traded away yet. There are probably at least 20 dusty games on my shelves that deserve a better home, but I keep rationalizing that I will play them again some day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
25 May 2020 10:34 #310606 by Jackwraith
Hm. I don't think so? Most of the time, I've gotten rid of games because they'd simply worn out their welcome and I wasn't interested in playing them anymore. Other than one time where I really needed the money and was selling stuff that I actively wanted to keep, i haven't been in a situation where I needed to remove things. Everything has left because i wanted it to go.

There are some things I've traded that hold some sentimental value, like Descent 1st Ed. and Arkham Horror. We spent many, many hours wrapped up in both of them. But I couldn't see wanting to play them again; in part because of those many, many hours. It was time to move on and try new things.

More
25 May 2020 10:50 #310607 by Ah_Pook
I regret trading Cave Evil, because I could have traded or sold it later for way way more money. That's about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 May 2020 11:04 #310608 by charlest
Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker. Ended up rebuying both. That's about it though and I've sold hundreds of games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, siberianhusky

More
25 May 2020 11:06 #310609 by Shellhead
I sold my copy of Black Morn Manor to an acquaintance back in the late '90s, for $20. I had played a dozen times, and knew that it was a very flawed game that had been effectively fired by subsequent games added to my collection. One specific problem was that it was effectively like a horror-themed game of football with highly unstable teams. Each side is constantly roughing up the other side while trying to move a key artifact to one of two opposites corners of a big map. The horror theme is undermined because nobody ever dies, and the constant switching of teams drags out the game long after the entertainment value has dwindled away. I had zero regrets about selling it.

A close friend was disappointed to hear about the sale and told me that he would have paid more for Black Morn Manor, even though he had only played once. He did pay more to buy a used copy on through BGG, and then got it out for us to play the next time he hosted board games. And the game was a disappointment, for the exact reasons I knew that it would disappoint. I don't believe that my friend ever played it again, and it seemed to have disappeared from his collection by the next time I helped him move. I still don't regret selling my copy to someone else, because that guy was a big fan of the Chill rpg that provided the setting for Black Morn Manor. Despite the flaws of the game, I am confident that his rpg group would enjoy it more than my friend did. Somehow that matters to me, that the person receiving my game will enjoy it more than I did.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 May 2020 13:20 #310614 by dysjunct
TIDE OF IRON. It was clunky in parts but the perfect weight for me — Memoir 44 is too lightweight and goofy, but I don’t have the patience for Combat Commander or other hex and counter stuff. I sold it because I was in a group that rarely played 2p games. I’d like to see a second edition with a little streamlining, but with the sale of FFG it will probably never happen.

I guess in the Kickstarter era, never say never.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, charlest

More
25 May 2020 15:33 #310620 by charlest
I think it's OOP again but a new company acquired the rights from FFG and released a new edition with slightly clarified rules.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Cranberries, themothman421

More
26 May 2020 14:52 #310651 by dysjunct

charlest wrote: I think it's OOP again but a new company acquired the rights from FFG and released a new edition with slightly clarified rules.

According to the database at BGG, the 2007 FFG version was the only English-language version. Currently going on Amazon for $250! Guess I'll be waiting for that Kickstarter after all. :|

More
26 May 2020 15:35 - 26 May 2020 15:37 #310653 by barrowdown
The new version (2014): boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/174402/tide-iron-next-wav

Really just a 1.1 instead of a new edition.
Last edit: 26 May 2020 15:37 by barrowdown.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
26 May 2020 15:53 #310654 by Gary Sax
This thread is a good exercise because I can't think of any. Which almost certainly means there are games on the shelf which should leave because 0 regret rate is too low.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, cdennett, Nodens, Kmann

More
26 May 2020 16:19 #310655 by Nodens
Same here

More
26 May 2020 17:51 #310657 by Michael Barnes
Having sold and traded hundreds and hundreds of games...almost none. Every now and then I think I do feel a pang of regret for DOAII, Cave Evil, or something like that but then I imagine the game entombed on the shelf, collecting dust, and that want goes away. The reality of it is that if a game is not a favorite and isn’t played regularly, it’s not worth owning long term. Period.

However the one thing I do regret getting rid of is............A La Carte. I got it when my kids were little and really too young for it. Now, they bug me about getting rid of it, I think they remember playing it more than any other game when they were smaller. They call it “the pancake game” and ask me to get it again all the time but now it’s OOP. I had the expansion too. :-/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds