October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2715 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What TOADS are you SHELVING?

More
30 Apr 2021 14:09 #322751 by Msample

Space Ghost wrote: I have a veritable shit ton of games I want to sell. Do you get decent prices at Noble Knight? I prefer minimal effort.

First one to go is the original Glory to Rome

You won't get top dollar, but its hard to beat the convenience IMO. I recently offloaded 24 games split into four boxes. One trip to the Fedex store ( NK sends you freight tags ) and its done. Better than 24 sets of emails, messages, and god knows how many trips to a post office.

If you have some grail type stuff, that may be worth doing on your own. For instance friend recently sold Twilight Struggle Collectors Edition for about $350.

But for bulk common stuff, I'd go NK unless you need to wring every last cent out of the games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2021 14:16 #322752 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic What TOADS are you SHELVING?
Prediction: within 6 months, MB, you will be telling us you rebought Heroquest and love it again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, ChristopherMD

More
30 Apr 2021 14:40 #322753 by Michael Barnes
LOL for some things, yes. For Heroscape it would be round 3 and that is not going to happen. There are simply too many games better than it that don’t require storage bins.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e

More
30 Apr 2021 14:52 #322754 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic What TOADS are you SHELVING?

Michael Barnes wrote: Yes. When I sold my Heroscape lot I had a pile of broken, brittle pieces.

Which is symbolic. Because I’m going to spit some hard truth here. It’s time to cut Heroscape loose y’all. Look, 15 years ago it was fun. It’s almost 20 years old now and there’s only been about 500 games that have come out since that do light tactical skirmish a hundred times better. The novelty of the plastic toys wears off and all you are left with is tubs and tubs of plastic and a kinda-sorta OK game that takes forever to set up that you are holding on to because you remember getting Rise of the Valkyrie and being really excited about it. Folks, what you are holding on to with Heroscape is not the game. It’s nostalgia. You don’t really want 4x Volcarren Wasteland sets. What you want is 2005-2006 back and the fun you had with friends at the time that you may have lost touch with along the way. You want that big thrill of showing up at your buddy’s house and he’s got a massive setup ready and you spend 10 hours playing games on it. I’m here to tell you that those tubs of brittle plastic do not contain those memories of good times.

This could be said about a lot of the games I see talked about here. Y’all are holding on to some of this stuff as if that 1985, 1995. 2005 energy is in those boxes. I’ve done this myself, holding on to games because man we had a good time playing that 15 years ago, I’ll never get rid of it because it’ll be like getting rid of that good time. But friends this is what the Happy Mondays called stinkin’ thinkin’.

How many games, miniatures, books sit on shelves gathering dust because of a couple of fun nights with friends -a decade- ago?

I love the good-natured flack I take from some of y’all about flipping games al the time but I want my collection to reflect what I am currently interested in and currently want to play. I have a few long time favorites, sure, but they are still currently played and enjoyed. I don’t store memories on a shelf.

And I also don’t store aspirations on a shelf.I see a lots of folks keeping games in hopes of playing them one day. Why would anyone do this? That “rainy day” mentality leads to shelf clutter and toads everywhere.

I don't keep mine to play. I keep mine to use the terrain and figures in RPGs. That's the ONLY reason why I still have it.

More
30 Apr 2021 14:53 #322755 by Rliyen

Msample wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: I have a veritable shit ton of games I want to sell. Do you get decent prices at Noble Knight? I prefer minimal effort.

You won't get top dollar, but its hard to beat the convenience IMO. I recently offloaded 24 games split into four boxes. One trip to the Fedex store ( NK sends you freight tags ) and its done. Better than 24 sets of emails, messages, and god knows how many trips to a post office.

If you have some grail type stuff, that may be worth doing on your own. For instance friend recently sold Twilight Struggle Collectors Edition for about $350.

But for bulk common stuff, I'd go NK unless you need to wring every last cent out of the games.

Seconded on NK, as I've sold to them before. Easier than dealing with Ebay.

More
30 Apr 2021 15:35 #322758 by Disgustipater

Jackwraith wrote: A prime example of this was the complete set of Arkham Horror, 2nd Ed. that I moved. We had great times with it, but it wasn't going to get used to its full capacity anymore and would be better off in someone else's hands who could really discover and enjoy it.

I always see this on my shelf and think I should play it again (it’s been at least 5 years, probably more), most likely to solo it, and I never do. I think you may have knocked some reason loose and I’m thinking I should just move on at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
30 Apr 2021 16:10 #322759 by Jackwraith
It's a cool game. I just didn't want to deal with the ridiculous setup time and the massive bookkeeping exercise that it became trying to maintain all four boards. Sure, I could've played with fewer expansions, but then it becomes a decision of what to cut out and... No. I was just done. Let someone else enjoy those (and the game's) puzzles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
30 Apr 2021 18:22 #322764 by Erik Twice

Shellhead wrote: One obvious toad based on those questions is Twilight Imperium 3rd. Nearly 100% of my friends won't play it. Some tried it and didn't like it. Most lack the patience for a long game. It will only get played if I acquire several new friends who are all willing to try it and also haven't moved on to Twilight Imperium 4th.

That's a big one. It's so directly replaced by the new edition that I can't imagine anyone ever playing 3rd again. I think about it every time I see the copy at my club.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
02 May 2021 06:53 #322780 by southernman

Erik Twice wrote:

Shellhead wrote: One obvious toad based on those questions is Twilight Imperium 3rd. Nearly 100% of my friends won't play it. Some tried it and didn't like it. Most lack the patience for a long game. It will only get played if I acquire several new friends who are all willing to try it and also haven't moved on to Twilight Imperium 4th.

That's a big one. It's so directly replaced by the new edition that I can't imagine anyone ever playing 3rd again. I think about it every time I see the copy at my club.

I've played 4th and it streamlined (i.e. made easier) certain aspects and removed others so makes it good for beginners or euro-gamers wanting to cross over but I still have my 3rd (and expansions) and won't be selling it as it's a much more fulfilling game for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Erik Twice, Nodens

More
02 May 2021 11:10 #322786 by Ah_Pook
Out of curiosity, what do you find better in 3e? What changes do you not like in 4e?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Jackwraith, Disgustipater, sornars, Erik Twice, BillyBobThwarton

More
03 May 2021 02:02 - 03 May 2021 02:05 #322806 by Disgustipater
Time to move BSG and Arkham Horror to the sale pile. We had some great times; you will be missed.
Commencing de-sleeving of Arkham Horror:

Last edit: 03 May 2021 02:05 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, RobertB, ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, sornars, Erik Twice

More
03 May 2021 10:11 - 03 May 2021 10:12 #322813 by Rliyen

Disgustipater wrote: Time to move BSG and Arkham Horror to the sale pile. We had some great times; you will be missed.

You will be missed.
Last edit: 03 May 2021 10:12 by Rliyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Disgustipater

More
03 May 2021 11:04 #322816 by RobertB

Disgustipater wrote: Time to move BSG and Arkham Horror to the sale pile. We had some great times; you will be missed.

Needs more cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
03 May 2021 11:43 #322819 by Shellhead
Maybe ten years ago or so, I happened to have a brief conversation with Kevin Wilson about Arkham Horror 2nd at the original FFG Event Center. He said that the game was effectively a cardboard computer, and the various decks of cards functioned like punch cards. I feel that 2nd edition lasted long enough to reach the point of diminishing returns for additional cards in the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, n815e

More
03 May 2021 13:03 #322822 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic What TOADS are you SHELVING?

I just sold a box of RPG stuff to NK and was pleasantly surprised with their offer, I was hoping to get $75 to ge "This War of Mine" and they ended up giving me $150 in trade. So twice what I was after.

They were also easy to deal with and quick to reply and apply credit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.346 seconds