October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
30 Apr 2017 11:36 - 30 Apr 2017 11:55 #247454 by Mr. White
So...the Tzaangor warscroll says a unit is 5 models...but the points section on the last page of the tzeentch battletome says a unit is 10. What gives?

Also...looks like skirmish is coming to AoS. Hellz yes! Our models can now serve triple duty. AoS WHQ, AoS Proper, AoS skirmish. That's good value for the painting and modelling work.

www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/04/age-sigmar-skirmish.html

EDIT: according to Dakka...GW is also going to be putting out modular AoS terrain in the Shadow War manner.

(This three pronged AoS blitz may knock out Heroscape at our house. Not sure how I feel about that yet...)
Last edit: 30 Apr 2017 11:55 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2017 12:08 - 30 Apr 2017 12:09 #247455 by Michael Barnes
The warscroll was written to be legal at the time for Silver Tower, which had six Tzaangors. If you are playing Arcanites, you want 20 of these. I have two boxes and then the Silver Tower ones on top of that.

AOS skirmish, hell yeah! I'd appreciate it if they wait like a year to do it though- SWA has sapped my fun budget.

I am getting dangerously close to selling all my Heroscape stuff...I mean, that stuff is gathering dust while we play SWA and AoS regularly...and this is at age 7 and 5, so is there really a space for Heroscape now?
Last edit: 30 Apr 2017 12:09 by Michael Barnes.

More
30 Apr 2017 12:11 #247456 by Mr. White
The 5 model unit is listed in the warscroll of the Battetome. The same Battletome that lists 10 models per unit on the last page.

Is this a narrative v points thing?

More
30 Apr 2017 12:13 - 30 Apr 2017 12:28 #247457 by Mr. White
Heroscape has the advantage of having female characters though. Still a big problem in the GW games.
My 6 year old daughter likes to play HS with us and uses mainly a ton of female warriors.

EDIT: Herocape is also good for when kid friends come over. Super easy to learn and durable components.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2017 12:28 by Mr. White.

More
30 Apr 2017 21:12 #247491 by Mr. White
Still don't have the General's Handbook, so help me out here...

I do have that Tzeentch Battletome. The section on battalions...are these buffs if your _whole_ army meets the criteria? Just a wing of your force? The model counts on these seem to be all over the place, so I'm not really sure how to build these. Do I need to be concerned about keywords or just meet the troop selection requirement?

Also, I'm thinking my son and I will start off with some fun narrative games. Does the GH give any tips on how to set up two sides and be close to even? Points, duh, I know, but I don't think we'll have enough to meet those min requirements on some of those points based units. How's the best way to go about a little narrative fun? I can wing stuff, but was curious if there's anything in the GH about narrative play.

More
30 Apr 2017 21:26 #247493 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
I think points is the way to go, really. Say you don't reach 1000, but probably somewhere close to 700. You can still play provided you both have roughly the same amount. I played several games like this and the difference with 1000pts was not really too much (it becomes an issue when you have an actual strategy based on synergies, formation etc. and it feel like you're missing something by playing with less points).
Also, pitched battles have scenarios, which add drama, strategy and narrative...
Or, you could play a campaign, which I haven't tried but heard good stuff about.
Man, you really-really need the general handbook. Why don't you just buy it?

More
30 Apr 2017 21:29 #247495 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

Mr. White wrote: EDIT: Herocape is also good for when kid friends come over. Super easy to learn and durable components.

My son introduced some of his friends to the battle of Vedros.... at first, I was like the dad from "Lego Movie", but then I kinda let it go (those were my first paint jobs, too, so now I'm not attached to them). It is still disheartening to find these orcs heads all around after a playdate...

More
30 Apr 2017 21:31 #247496 by Mr. White

Vlad wrote: Man, you really-really need the general handbook. Why don't you just buy it?

I'm sure it's a matter of time. I think I want us to just ease in to the 4 page rules for a few bouts before we start roping in other ways to play.

More
30 Apr 2017 21:43 - 30 Apr 2017 21:44 #247498 by Mr. White

Vlad wrote:

Mr. White wrote: EDIT: Herocape is also good for when kid friends come over. Super easy to learn and durable components.

My son introduced some of his friends to the battle of Vedros.... at first, I was like the dad from "Lego Movie", but then I kinda let it go (those were my first paint jobs, too, so now I'm not attached to them). It is still disheartening to find these orcs heads all around after a playdate...

Yeah...I don't wanna be Lego Dad either, but not sure I want to see my painted (and in some cases - converted) minis broken up or have cheetos in the recesses because some youths haphazardly played with the minis like they were actions figs then tossed in a box so they could get onto some video games.

Heroscape can tough that out...GW minis...not so much.

Note: I'm not Lego Dad to my kids because I know they try and it's just models. Who I don't trust, however, are some of the knuckleheads who may come over and simply don't have the wisdom (yet) to care.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2017 21:44 by Mr. White.

More
04 May 2017 17:44 #247825 by stormseeker75
Please forgive my naivete on all this, but if I understand this correctly, AoS is basically Fantasy Battles rebooted. Shadow War Armageddon is like 40k Lite. And now we have 40k 8th edition coming which is based off AoS. Does AoS do away with all those stupid trays and all that? I always wanted to play Tomb Kings and Vampire Counts. Now it looks like I can do that.

More
04 May 2017 17:54 #247826 by Colorcrayons
Yeah, no more formation trays.

But tomb kings are no longer produced that is know of by gw, since they destroyed the old world. But they might come back I guess. For now it's eBay if you don't have the.models already.

More
04 May 2017 18:08 #247828 by Michael Barnes
There is an AWESOME fan-made Tomb Kings battletome. They really went all out on it, it looks like a real GW publication. They even have original, GW-quality illustrations in it. It has warscrolls for every Tomb Kings model. I am REALLY thinking about starting up a TK army sometime this summer. I've always loved that faction. But yeah, it's all not official at this point.

The irony is that AOS made WHFB more like 40k, and now 40k is going to be more like AOS. Which is a very, very good thing.

More
04 May 2017 18:26 #247829 by barrowdown

Michael Barnes wrote: The irony is that AOS made WHFB more like 40k, and now 40k is going to be more like AOS. Which is a very, very good thing.

I am pretty sure this was the plan from the beginning. Test the waters with their less popular system with a wild overhaul to see what works, get all the kinks out and then move on to the more profitable system.

More
04 May 2017 18:55 #247830 by Mr. White
Is 40k the most popular worldwide?

I thought Fantasy was the preferred game of Europe and Australia. I could be wrong.

More
04 May 2017 19:26 #247832 by barrowdown
The last financial breakdown I remember before AoS had it at 80/20 in favor of 40k, with a handful of Space Marine kits alone outselling all of Fantasy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds