October 09, 2023
2514 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2712 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar

More
05 May 2017 07:40 - 05 May 2017 08:33 #247853 by Mr. White
That's worldwide sales?

Anyone have any idea if GH'17 will contains updates to GH'16? Are these books essentially going to be replacing each other or will it be necessary to own them all?

EDIT: I don't recall this Vortex Beast in my Tzeentch Battletome, but his warscroll linked to on his shop page says Tzeentch. Anyone know his points cost?
www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Mutalith-Vo...t?_requestid=1892782

EDI EDIT: Anyone still playing AoS through Narrative matches or is it all points based now?
Last edit: 05 May 2017 08:33 by Mr. White.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2017 09:34 #247859 by Mr. White
Anyone try the Hinterlands Skirmish rules yet?
www.tga.community/files/file/19-hinterla...realms-by-sam-james/

How about plan on playing in any of these upcoming narrative games?
www.tga.community/blogs/blog/189-coalescence-event/

More
05 May 2017 10:39 #247865 by barrowdown
I don't think GW has ever released financials with that amount of detail so most of that is based on some people with way too much time on their hands combing industry sales information for different countries/regions and combining it with GW insiders that are willing to talk. This seems to be corroborated by GW's own activities (number of limited edition items and how long they take to sell out with Fantasy usually having lower quantities and taking longer to disappear) and lists of best sellers.

For example, the 2015 list of best sellers by revenue had only two Fantasy models in the top 25 (#20 Mortarchs, #21 Nagash).

More
05 May 2017 11:04 #247870 by ufe20
I don't think General's Handbook 2017 has been officially announced beyond the fact that they're working on a second one. I think it's just assumed it will be this year, but I could be wrong. Either way, with new40k coming next month, I wouldn't expect it to show up until late summer or fall anyways.

And this is just me assuming, but I think it will totally replace the current GH. Updated lists, new scenarios, probably an updated snapshot of where the story is for people not buying the battletomes, etc

More
05 May 2017 16:02 - 05 May 2017 16:21 #247890 by Mr. White
Went to the local GW at lunch.

Picked up the GHB, the new White Dwarf, and placed an order for an online only fig to save on shipping. The manager was really laid back and seemed like a cool dude. I either have a new appreciation for GW stores or am lucky and seem to have a good 'un.

Oh, the 40K starter (with the Dark Angels) had a sticker on it on the upper corner about how to get a free copy of the upcoming rules. I'm going to assume there's going to be a standard, free ruleset like AoS. Maybe not 4 pages, but something like that. The GW had a stack of free AoS rules printed out on nice glossy paper.
Last edit: 05 May 2017 16:21 by Mr. White.

More
05 May 2017 18:08 #247906 by Michael Barnes
The GW shop I go to is really nice, the manager there is cool and it's a nice, clean shop in a kind of upscale shopping area. It's actually almost kind of weird when there are scummy, stinky nerds in there because it's a tidy, well-kept shop with a laid back atmosphere. Then you get these doofuses in there and it suddenly becomes no better than the average CCG hall.

GHB17 will completely replace GHB16. It will likely have updated point values for everything, I think we'll see the skirmish rules in there, probably some other new "annualized" features.

8th's rules are going to be free. Just like AOS. This is HUGE.

I can't believe GW is issuing vouchers for anyone who has bought a codex in the last 8 weeks. That is...unbelievable.

More
07 May 2017 10:14 #247942 by Mr. White
I'm an idiot.

I've completely overlooked the Open and Narrative play styles to this game...the way it was originally released to be played. F Match play and going out buying boxes to 'fill out' complete units to reach some points. I'm not playing against strangers or at tourneys (that's what BB is for), so we don't need to sweat that stuff.

This weekend we just played some scenarios with what we had and the games were plenty fun. I'll probably pick up the Nurgle Start Collecting box at some point in the future and simply add the Blightkings from Hammerhal, and not give a fig how fleshed out my army is beyond that..."do I have enough of these or those units?". Eh, I'll just built narrative scenarios with what I have.

I feel like a light has been shone on my tabletop.

Long Live the Age of Sigmar!

More
07 May 2017 16:11 #247954 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
My GW shop is awesome, too.
Back in the 90ies, I used to visit GW shops now and then, and it was a very uninviting experience. It reeked of nerdy unwashed elitism.
I might be wrong, but think the change has to do with the fact that those nerds have now grown up and for most part became adults. Now they bring in their kids, who don't feel socially awkward. All in all, it is a good place to have a chat, play a game or watch one.
I actually feel bad about buying GW stuff from on-line retailers, because I'd like to support the store. But prices are like 1/4-1/3 higher + sales tax. Anyway, I've committed myself to buy stuff besides paints now and then.

More
07 May 2017 16:48 #247957 by Michael Barnes
Well, Doc is having to go to just a 15% discount due to GW's new online sales policies...it's a net gain (pun) because now you can get stuff anywhere, but the 25% he had is over.

Yeah, you know when AOS first came out and before the GHB, the idea was that both sides just agreed on army sizes and had at it. Number of total wounds was a balancing factor. Match play came about as the result of people wanting more specific force org and point values. But you can totally say "let's do two battleline units each, an elite unit, a hero, and a monster/war machine" and it works just fine.

I like the points and such because it gives me a collecting framework. Like with the elves, I specifically stuck with Swifthawk.

Really thinking about Malignants...

More
11 May 2017 09:48 - 11 May 2017 09:52 #248148 by Mr. White
Would it be blasphemous of me to say that on the whole I think I'm enjoying the Age of Sigmar setting a little more than the Old World?

What are you guys using for AoS flavoured terrain? Just buying GW stuff?
And terrain....I hate painting terrain...
Last edit: 11 May 2017 09:52 by Mr. White.

More
11 May 2017 10:16 #248149 by stormseeker75
Okay, I downloaded and read through the rules. Is it really just 4 pages? And it works? I know there's the warscrolls and the such for more figures and there will be rules in there, but DAMN, that's really simplified from previous versions.

More
11 May 2017 12:51 #248159 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Let's Talk About Age of Sigmar
That was my first thought when I got into AoS, but Warscrolls add quite a bit of complexity. It is very comparable to Magic in terms of basic rules and countless bending and exceptions.

More
11 May 2017 13:08 #248161 by stormseeker75
That's alright by me. You can learn the game completely vanilla and then just adjust complexity up and down as you go.

More
11 May 2017 15:03 #248171 by Mr. White
Yeah, I can explain the AoS rules in 5 minutes. The fun then becomes working combinations and synergies between your units via warscrolls (as many or as few as you'd like).

Very easy system and a lot of fun.

More
11 May 2017 16:05 #248174 by stormseeker75
Thanks, peeps. I bought the Battle of Sigmar kit for my Gorechosen and sort of as a hope that my wife would be willing to play. She'll try anything so it's got a chance.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds