October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Any FATties going to Essen'10?

More
05 Oct 2010 20:18 #76007 by Dogmatix
Hey there.

Anyone hitting Essen this year? I'm looking for a proxy who might be able to snag any Neuroshima Hex and/or Dungeon Twister (doubt anything will be there, but worth a look) promos, as well as Agricola and/or PowerGrid promos that will undoubtedly crop up. I know PG has a 3-carder available for donation and I'm sure Lookout will have stuff as they always do. (Hell, I'd be interested in anything else interesting, for that matter...) I'll cover all costs--including a couple of pints of beer--of course, and whatever else I might need to induce you to elbow your way through the Eurohead hordes to do me this favor...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2010 21:07 #76010 by Schweig!
I might be going. Unfortunately I have an exam on Essen Spiel Friday.

More
06 Oct 2010 19:03 #76081 by Dogmatix
Schweig! wrote:

I might be going. Unfortunately I have an exam on Essen Spiel Friday.

Ouch. Sounds like you've had a busy-ass month already. If you do end up going and can pick up any goodies for me, let me know. I also have those 2 Phantom Leader errata cards for you (Dan sent me 2 sets) if you haven't sent DVG a note to get yourself a set.

More
06 Oct 2010 19:49 #76082 by jur
Too bad if you miss out, Schweig! If you can make it, at least we should try and have a chat.

The hopeful news for Dogmatix is that I will be going on Thursday and Friday and should have some time to pick up stuff. As long as I have your wishlist, I think I can handle it.

I will be trying to post some pics of the new stuff on my Twitter account (@jurdj) during the two days.

My watchlist is on here:
boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/55960/jurs-mo...trash-watchlist-2010

Hope to get a more specified list on my blog in a few days

More
07 Oct 2010 01:11 - 07 Oct 2010 01:16 #76104 by Dogmatix
Jur

I'm looking for any interesting promo items for the 4 games mentioned above (and Factory Fun if Z-Man, who is now reprinting it, has anything) and the Doomsday Army (Essen 07 promo I think) for N'Hex if it crops up somewhere like the flea market or Portal's booth or some such.

Hell...any of the little Essen promo-only items from just about just about anybody giving free shit away would be interesting, but Dungeon Twister, Neuroshima Hex, Power Grid, and Agricola are the games (and their respective publishers) that tend to crop up with some Essen items that either never make it to the US or are means for extortion at BGG (not that I blame them necessarily--if the market will bear it, go nuts). I'd like to avoid the feeding frenzy and subsequent inflated prices.

Also, by way of incentive, I have something on your watchlist: I have a spare copy of Dunnigan's Drive On Metz that was included in an issue of C3i a couple of years ago (#20 maybe?). It's got nice shiny GMT-quality counters and a glossy map as opposed to the standard Victory Point fare. Happy to send it your way as part of the compensation package. (Hell, I'd be happy to send it your way just because you're a wargaming F:ATtie...)
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 01:16 by Dogmatix.

More
07 Oct 2010 03:17 #76107 by jur
I'll see what I can do for you.

Re: drive on metz. I already own the vp edition, but somewhere in my cupboard is an old photocopy of the game from a book he did on wargames. This was a sample game game. I also printed the counters and glued them onto cardboard. Allsentimentalnow...

More
07 Oct 2010 05:43 #76109 by sydo
I'll be going as well but as I am from Europe, the shipping will probably make the promos less interesting. According to the hot Essen lists on BGG, I will probably spend most of my time browsing the thrift stores there.

More
07 Oct 2010 15:46 #76170 by Notahandle
I'm wracking my brain to think of something that I want from Essen. And drawing a blank...

More
07 Oct 2010 16:00 #76172 by Dogmatix
sydo wrote:

I'll be going as well but as I am from Europe, the shipping will probably make the promos less interesting. According to the hot Essen lists on BGG, I will probably spend most of my time browsing the thrift stores there.

I figure the promos are usually "small packet" items--cards and punch-out stand-ups (Dungeon Twister is pretty famous for 'em), or, at best, 1 or 2 small figs. A handful of Yer-Ohs worth of shipping isn't a big deal for me. It's the US$20+euroshipping for 3 cards for, say, Power Grid or a single Duel in the Dark tile, is what makes me kind of nuts. I don't begrudge folks asking for it since people will certainly pay it--I'm just trying not to be one of them ;)

But if you come across a Doomsday Army tile for Neuroshima Hex [it's just the 1 as far as I know] in the thrift/flea market for under E$10, please do grab it for me :) I always assumed Zev didn't include it in his edition of NH because it's kind of a dopey army [compared to the Mad Bomber, which was also a promo originally], but I really like the game and managed to pick up all the other promo bits along the way save this one.

Anyway, my thanks in advance to any of you who can help me out. I've got folks around me who would be interested in almost anything that comes along, so I can find a good home (and cover any ancillary costs plus a couple of beers for your troubles) for anything folks find :)

More
11 Oct 2010 11:09 - 11 Oct 2010 11:13 #76402 by Bulwyf
Notahandle wrote:

I'm wracking my brain to think of something that I want from Essen. And drawing a blank...

This year's Essen crop isn't lighting my fire. The only game that would be on my "Buy at Essen" list is the limited edition of London. Everything else that is debuting there can be bought a little bit later here in the US. And even with that in mind the list is still short. All I've come up with is London and High Frontier. Everything else is in the "try first" category.

-Will
Last edit: 11 Oct 2010 11:13 by Bulwyf.

More
11 Oct 2010 12:05 #76410 by Dogmatix
Bulwyf wrote:

Notahandle wrote:

This year's Essen crop isn't lighting my fire. The only game that would be on my "Buy at Essen" list is the limited edition of London. Everything else that is debuting there can be bought a little bit later here in the US. And even with that in mind the list is still short. All I've come up with is London and High Frontier. Everything else is in the "try first" category.

-Will

Speaking of High Frontier, I had an email exchange with Phil Eklund late last week. HF has landed in the US but is stuck in Customs limbo for the time being. Whenever it gets released, pre-orders will start shipping (which means I'll finally get my expanded Megafauna + expanded Origins combo box too).

More
11 Oct 2010 13:33 #76424 by jur
IBulwyf wrote:

Everything else is in the "try first" category.
-Will

That is what I go to essen for, to try out as much as possible. So I don't see why you would pass on that golden opportunity if all those games are in the same placeat the same time

More
11 Oct 2010 18:55 #76468 by Bulwyf
Dogmatix wrote:

Speaking of High Frontier, I had an email exchange with Phil Eklund late last week. HF has landed in the US but is stuck in Customs limbo for the time being. Whenever it gets released, pre-orders will start shipping (which means I'll finally get my expanded Megafauna + expanded Origins combo box too).

Hopefully Phil can get this out soon. I think he's gotten a really strong response with this game. I'm picking up my copy at BGG.Con which works out just fine in my book. It's likely my best opportunity to get it on the table and played.

Jur wrote:

IBulwyf wrote:

Everything else is in the "try first" category.
-Will

That is what I go to essen for, to try out as much as possible. So I don't see why you would pass on that golden opportunity if all those games are in the same placeat the same time

Because I live in Texas and traveling to Europe is a big expense. Don't get me wrong I love going to Essen. Compared to it, I consider Gen Con and Origins a fucking waste of time. However part of the allure of the Essen show for us here in the states was the opportunity to get the newest games months before they became available locally, if ever. That's just not the case anymore. Most games of note get quickly picked up by US partners. That and I never got to do much playing at Essen. It was always more about the buying and cruising the use game dealers. If things work out as planned I'm hopeful the wife and I can make the trip next year.

-Will

More
15 Oct 2010 07:40 - 15 Oct 2010 08:05 #76770 by Schweig!
I'm going to Essen! No need to write the exam, I passed the course. Hit me with requests.

Who else is going? Jur? Sydo? Will? We should meet and play a kick-ass wargame.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2010 08:05 by Schweig!.

More
15 Oct 2010 08:56 #76773 by Notahandle
The queue starts here...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds