October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2713 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror vs Twilight Imperium 3

More
23 Apr 2009 13:40 - 23 Apr 2009 13:47 #26725 by Mad Malthus
Count Orlok wrote:

AH has hit my table at least twenty times. It works solo, two player and with crowds.

It's always solo, no matter how many are playing.

AH may be a better "MP solitaire" game than TI3 is a "MP conflict" game, but it's simply a fact that "MP conflict" is always superior to "MP solitaire".

AH suffers from the inferiority of its category. Such timeless truth can never be undone by some petty vote...we will either recognize here the essential truth, or not.
Last edit: 23 Apr 2009 13:47 by Mad Malthus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:51 #26728 by clockwirk
Michael Barnes wrote:

That's right Tom, it's not too late for those F:ATties listed to realize how very wrong they are and "get on the winning team", just like in the AH game.

Sounds like the LNOE vs. ATOE Trashdome still stings a little bit down there.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:52 - 23 Apr 2009 13:53 #26729 by dave
Michael Barnes wrote:

It really saddens me to see some of F:AT's brightest lights on the wrong side of the fence here:

dave

Bright light? I'm surprised the NWA thread hasn't been revived on my account...

(Really, AH is on my top 5 AT games. I find arguing about AH vs TI to be as futile and frustrating as those endless Kobe vs. LeBron arguments. But what else would you expect from a glass-jawed, crybaby professional victim?)
Last edit: 23 Apr 2009 13:53 by dave.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:53 #26730 by Shellhead
Mad Malthus wrote:
AH may be a better "MP solitaire" game than TI3 is a "MP conflict" game, but it's simply a fact that "MP conflict" is always superior to "MP solitaire".
[/quote]

I'm not sure that you're using the term "multi-player solitaire" the way the rest of us use it. Multi-player solitaire is found in a game so utterly lacking in interaction between the players that it's like you're all playing separate solitaire games using the same set of components. Arkham Horror could be played in such a manner, but only by people who like to lose a lot. AH is more of a teamwork game, with lots of open strategy discussion. No teamwork, no win, unless you have some lucky card draws.

More
23 Apr 2009 13:55 #26731 by blarknob
To me this is pretty much just sci-fi vs. horror. Sci-Fi stomps horror in my eyes. You can have your squids, I'll conquer the galaxy with my war suns.

More
23 Apr 2009 14:01 #26733 by Columbob
Michael Barnes wrote:

That's right Tom, it's not too late for those F:ATties listed to realize how very wrong they are and "get on the winning team", just like in the AH game.

Has anyone here actually ever successfully "Joined the winning team" in AH?

It's probably one of those one in a billion games thing. After you get this mission, you need to find 4 allies and then sacrifice one at each of the listed locations...including Lost in Time and Space. Most likely time will run out before someone can gather all the ingredients to hop in the hot tub with Nyarly.

More
23 Apr 2009 14:04 #26735 by clockwirk
blarknob wrote:

To me this is pretty much just sci-fi vs. horror. Sci-Fi stomps horror in my eyes. You can have your squids, I'll conquer the galaxy with my war suns.

Presumably until your War Suns run into a Great Old One out in space.

More
23 Apr 2009 14:09 #26738 by Ska_baron
metalface13 wrote:

The masses have spoken! The only AT game that outsold Arkham Horror in the latest sales data was Axis and Allies.

Go AH!

SELL OUTS!

More
23 Apr 2009 14:23 #26739 by Michael Barnes
The masses have spoken! The only AT game that outsold Arkham Horror in the latest sales data was Axis and Allies.

I'm not going to name figures but Richard told me how much he made last year on ARKHAM HORROR royalties. I was _shocked_. I didn't realize there was that much money in the hobby. It's a good thing FFG is a professional company and pays their people like they're supposed to.

Listen, I don't know about you guys but I certainly don't want to be one of the people wearing an "I voted for TI3" badge after these votes get finalized.

More
23 Apr 2009 14:29 - 23 Apr 2009 14:35 #26740 by Ska_baron
Michael Barnes wrote:

Listen, I don't know about you guys but I certainly don't want to be one of the people wearing an "I voted for TI3" badge after these votes get finalized.

Said the lone voter of Touch of Evil...

I'd rather wear the TI3 badge with pride than the shame of AToE!
Last edit: 23 Apr 2009 14:35 by Ska_baron.

More
23 Apr 2009 14:45 - 23 Apr 2009 14:46 #26741 by Mad Malthus
Shellhead wrote:

I'm not sure that you're using the term "multi-player solitaire" the way the rest of us use it. Multi-player solitaire is found in a game so utterly lacking in interaction between the players that it's like you're all playing separate solitaire games using the same set of components. Arkham Horror could be played in such a manner, but only by people who like to lose a lot. AH is more of a teamwork game, with lots of open strategy discussion. No teamwork, no win, unless you have some lucky card draws.

Yes my definition is a bit broader. AH is multiple players against a paper AI, thus "multi-player solitaire". One side of the game is missing. That's not really a game but a puzzle.

If you co-operate to defeat the rulebook, who cares?
Last edit: 23 Apr 2009 14:46 by Mad Malthus.

More
23 Apr 2009 15:21 #26745 by MattFantastic
You AH fuckers just want to cuddle with each other.

I want to crush my enemies, see them driven before me and hear the lamentation of their women (whom I will have then properly saved my cuddling for).

More
23 Apr 2009 15:34 #26746 by Michael Barnes
OK, let's change the voting a little. Which of these two would you rather cuddle with?

More
23 Apr 2009 15:36 #26747 by southernman
Hey - can I change my vote ..... DOH !

More
23 Apr 2009 15:56 #26749 by Space Ghost
Arkham Horror gets my vote, no need to rehash why all the TI3 people are misguided and choosing suboptimally.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds