October 09, 2023
2589 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2785 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Galactica VS Twilight Imperium 3rd

More
14 Oct 2009 17:01 #44726 by Space Ghost
Vote: BSG -- it is the best in its genre.

TI3 isn't the best in its genre, which would be Throneworld.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2009 17:05 #44727 by dave
Schweig! wrote:

MrZir wrote:

"Yay! We survived together!"
vs.
"I amassed the most prestige points through such elaborate tasks as 'Spend 10 influence' or 'Spend 6 trade goods'."

I corrected that for you.

If there were a Trashdomedome, where we pit Trashdome threads against one another, this one would be a front-runner.

More
14 Oct 2009 17:15 #44728 by HiveGod
Unfortunately, BSG is out of it's league. Like a high school football player swaggering into an old-school biker bar, there will be numerous versions of what happened next, with the only solid piece of evidence being the curb-stomped corpse behind the dumpster.

VOTE: TI3

For the boots, the will, and the sack.

More
14 Oct 2009 19:11 - 14 Oct 2009 19:12 #44735 by shryke
mjl1783 wrote:

BSG, on the other hand, was obviously designed to fit the theme of it's source material. And is a 100x better game the TI3 because it SUCCEEDS at this task to an incredible degree.

I SUCCEEDED at the task of dressing myself this morning. I also SUCCEEDED at the task of going to work and not getting fired. Hell, I even SUCCEEDED at the task of not shitting my pants all day.

Success? Yes. Remarkable? Yes.

Fixed that for ya.

Also, judging from your posts, I very much doubt you succeeded at not shitting your pants today. Not without help.

TI3 is the same boring design we've seen 100x before, but this time with Puerto Rico shoe-horned in because "Shit, it's #1 at BGG!!!".
Last edit: 14 Oct 2009 19:12 by shryke.

More
14 Oct 2009 23:19 #44752 by mjl1783
Fixed that for ya.

Also, judging from your posts, I very much doubt you succeeded at not shitting your pants today. Not without help.

Yo' momma.

TI3 is the same boring design we've seen 100x before, but this time with Puerto Rico shoe-horned in because "Shit, it's #1 at BGG!!!".

100 times before, eh? Give me ten examples of where we've seen it before. Here, I'll even spot you Battlemist and Thunder's Edge. That leaves you with 8 to go, genius.

More
15 Oct 2009 06:01 #44770 by southernman
mjl1783 wrote:

100 times before, eh? Give me ten examples of where we've seen it before. Here, I'll even spot you Battlemist and Thunder's Edge. That leaves you with 8 to go, genius.

I'm thinking all the space exploration / scifi games from the 70s and 80s with colourful plastic minis added to catch all us man-children, lots of high res colour tiles (instead of a paper map) and cards to say 'new and better', and Puerto Rico added in to grab buyers from BGG ;-p

More
15 Oct 2009 10:11 #44783 by The King in Yellow
Space empire games happen to be one of my favorite niches, so I'm voting TI3.

And someone needs to develop a computer game that picks up Master of Orion's mantle ASAP, and if you guys know of a recent one that I'm missing, clue me in, please.

More
15 Oct 2009 16:24 #44836 by lj1983
I think GalCiv2 is pretty good, and its free to download I believe(you are encouraged to register and pay for it)

More
15 Oct 2009 16:32 #44838 by Jason Lutes
lj1983 wrote:

I think GalCiv2 is pretty good, and its free to download I believe(you are encouraged to register and pay for it)

I'm pretty sure GalCiv2 still costs money, but there may be a demo version you're thinking of?

No game has yet to pick up the MOO mantle. MOO3 was an abomination. The Space Empires series is okay but way too tedious. GalCiv2 comes closest, but imo has some bad core design decisions and a nigh-useless diplomacy interface. The AI is tops, though, which counts for a heck of a lot.

More
15 Oct 2009 16:47 #44840 by Aarontu
Jason Lutes wrote:

lj1983 wrote:

I'm pretty sure GalCiv2 still costs money, but there may be a demo version you're thinking of?

No game has yet to pick up the MOO mantle. MOO3 was an abomination. The Space Empires series is okay but way too tedious. GalCiv2 comes closest, but imo has some bad core design decisions and a nigh-useless diplomacy interface. The AI is tops, though, which counts for a heck of a lot.

I agree with this sentiment. GalCiv2 was much better than MOO3, but still ultimately a disappointment. None of the techs or weapons were interesting at all, just variants of "+# bonus to X" and too much of the time playing the game was spent spamming starbases and making trade routes. The customizability of races and stuff was nice, though.

More
15 Oct 2009 19:17 #44850 by lj1983
hrm..just went to stardock and yeah, you have to pay for it. I know for a long while you didn't have to pay for it, but you had to register it to get any of the updates. that's how I originally got the game while in Iraq

More
15 Oct 2009 20:16 #44860 by The King in Yellow
I ask, and my fellow nerdlings deliver. I love my social group.
Unfortunately, I've tried both Galactic Civ and the Stars! series, and despite devoting much of my time to them, I've come away cold from both. Especially Galactic Civ, where your ships were autonomous during combat.
But my question was answered, so thanks for that.

More
15 Oct 2009 22:03 #44865 by Jason Lutes
Aarontu wrote:

I agree with this sentiment. GalCiv2 was much better than MOO3, but still ultimately a disappointment. None of the techs or weapons were interesting at all, just variants of "+# bonus to X" and too much of the time playing the game was spent spamming starbases and making trade routes. The customizability of races and stuff was nice, though.

I'm hopeful that Elemental, Stardock's attempt to capture the spirit of Master of Magic, will turn out better, but after GalCiv I kind of doubt that Brad Wardell's design values match up very well with my own.

More
16 Oct 2009 00:39 #44869 by MattFantastic
Tough last minute vote: BSG

More
16 Oct 2009 02:05 #44870 by Turek
im voting for TI3

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds