October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Tales Arabian Nights

More
21 Dec 2009 18:29 #51068 by metalface13
timeLESS wrote:

How often are we going to have to vote for Arkham Horror on this site ?

All hail Cthulhu !

vote: ToTAN Arkham Horror

It's the reigning Trashdome champ, we will keep voting for it until something better comes along.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2009 19:18 #51077 by Bullwinkle
TotAN tells stories like you're reading a book. Which is nothing at all like playing a game.

Vote: Arkham Horror

More
21 Dec 2009 19:32 #51079 by dysjunct
So after thinking about it for a bit, I'm going to vote after all.

I like Arkham Horror but every time I play it it just makes me realize how much more I'd rather just be playing Call of Cthulhu, which is less fiddly, easier to learn, more thematic, less gamey, and doesn't have that weird endgame issue.

I normally play half-games of TOTAN (to a total of ten story points), and even those overstay their welcome sometimes. But I have a blast 75-95% of the time and it's just hilarious. Everyone at the table totally engaged, laughing, pounding the table, etc. I don't want to play a TOTAN RPG but the game is just fantastic.

Vote: Tales Of the Arabian Nights

More
21 Dec 2009 21:57 #51086 by kookoobah
I had Arkham Horror and all the expansions at one point, and though it brought me a lot of fun in the past, the more I played it, the more tedious it got. It's clunky and slow and it gives me a headache. I wish somebody else owned it in our game group, maybe I would still be playing it now. I really really loved the game, before it started getting to me.

TotAn on the other hand, I feel absolutely no need to play. I own it, I've played it twice, but I feel no desire to bring it out and play it. It does not feel like a game and that annoys me. When we played it, it was a hilarious experience - everybody was laughing and it was an awesome time, but it just didn't feel like a game.

These two games do absolutely nothing for me anymore, but if I had to choose, I'd choose Arkham Horror. It's fiddly and slow - but I can see how if things had gone differently, I would still be playing it. TotAN just feels like we're going through the motions.

More
21 Dec 2009 22:06 #51087 by dragonstout
kookoobah wrote:

It does not feel like a game and that annoys me. When we played it, it was a hilarious experience - everybody was laughing and it was an awesome time, but it just didn't feel like a game.

Some people are a little too hung up on the definition of a game, which, apparently, is more important than having an awesome time?

More
21 Dec 2009 22:23 #51088 by kookoobah
It's not that dragonstout - afterwards everybody felt empty about the experience. It might have been our fault, coming into the game with different expectations, but after we played, nobody really wanted to play it again. Maybe one day when we're really bored - we might go "Hey where's that fun Arabian Nights story thing we played one day?" but I just don't see it happening.

Me reacting to the fact that it doesn't feel like a game if my personal analysis of why I think we aren't excited to play it again.

I realized I have a little bit more to say on the topic.

One of the best things about Arkham Horror and this is true of most of the adventure type games we play is the feeling of character development - negative or positive, and Arkham Horror does this so much better. The items and status ailments (madness/injury) you get in AH are way more thematic and more intuitive than the ones you get in TotAN. You actually know what to do with your items and you feel yourself getting stronger or weaker as the game progresses. There's direction. There's feedback. In TotAN, none of these things matter - or if they DO matter, they don't feel like they do, so it feels like you're just there for the ride.

More
22 Dec 2009 08:41 #51109 by Columbob
dragonstout wrote:

Also, the encounter paragraphs that happen to you are much better written and more fun and unique: it's not "you view a hideous creature. Lose 2 sanity", it's "you encounter a ghoul trying to reconcile his hunger with allah's decree that eating humans is a sin, but then he realizes that you've been turned into a snake-beast and no longer fully human, so he eats you".

So in a sense, you're telling us that TotAN stifles the imagination because it gives you everything on a silver platter, as opposed to Arkham Horror which stimulates it. There's no room for interpretation in TotAN, everything's as written on the page. The minimalist text style on the AH encounter cards could sometimes be anything, so it gives the players more creative leeway to interpret the events happening to them.

kookoobah wrote:

I had Arkham Horror and all the expansions at one point, and though it brought me a lot of fun in the past, the more I played it, the more tedious it got. It's clunky and slow and it gives me a headache. I wish somebody else owned it in our game group, maybe I would still be playing it now. I really really loved the game, before it started getting to me.

Maybe you should have just given the game a little break, say stop playing for 6 months or a year. When you come back to a beloved game that wore out its welcome after a sabbatical, things feel that much fresher, and you can take things at a new pace that won't rush you into anything, no strings attached.

More
22 Dec 2009 10:57 #51118 by Xlyce
My wife likes it, how can I not vote for it?

Vote: Arkham Horror

More
22 Dec 2009 11:24 #51120 by mikoyan
Hope I'm not too late.

While I enjoy Tales of the Arabian Nights, I can see where it can get old after a while. Arkham Horror doesn't have that feeling...although it's alot more fiddly. soo....

I vote for Arkham Horror.

More
22 Dec 2009 11:44 #51122 by san il defanso
Xlyce wrote:

By that logic, I'd have to vote for Lost Cities over Settlers of Catan.

More
22 Dec 2009 12:03 #51128 by Last Alchemist
I tried out AH, and didn't get what all the hubbub is about.

Didn't particularly thnk my one play of of TotAN was all that spectacular, but have been wanting to play it again. I want to get back to one of the magical cities.

Vote: Tales of the Arabian Nights

LA

More
22 Dec 2009 21:42 #51208 by kookoobah
Columbob wrote:

Maybe you should have just given the game a little break, say stop playing for 6 months or a year. When you come back to a beloved game that wore out its welcome after a sabbatical, things feel that much fresher, and you can take things at a new pace that won't rush you into anything, no strings attached.

We did. Maybe a 2 month break, and the setup alone (we did play with all the expansions, probably a mistake) took around 20 minutes and did nothing to excite me for the game ahead. That being said, I think I was the only person in our game group who really hated it -- being the upkeep and mythos guy and all that. Our game group misses it, but alas - I was on a boardgame selling purge the other month and it felt good to get rid of it (and get some funds for War of the Ring CE)

More
23 Dec 2009 00:16 #51211 by Xlyce
SanIlDefanso wrote:

Xlyce wrote:

By that logic, I'd have to vote for Lost Cities over Settlers of Catan.

Not me, my wife dislikes both those games... She would rather play History of the World.

More
24 Dec 2009 10:42 #51277 by ubarose
Last night we played Tales of the Arabian Nights. The Spawn and I were racing back to Baghdad to win the game. She landed on a spot three spaces away from Baghdad, I was six spaces from Baghdad, This meant that as long as she avoided any terrible statuses, and didn't get shot off somewhere else on the board, she would win the game on her next turn, otherwise I would have the chance to win the game. The reward for her encounter was to go to the Underwater Kingdom. We told her that she now had the choice to stay where she was and win the game next turn, or go to the Magical Underwater Kingdom. Without hesitation she choose to go to the Underwater Kingdom. That's the awesome part of Tales of the Arabian Nights, especially as a family game. It really is not about winning or losing, it's about playing the game.

That said, something we realized when playing the Z-man version of Tales, was that although the game had been improved in many ways - the stories hung together better, it was less fiddely, more accessible and played in a shorter time - Zev had also stripped out some of the game play. I realized that much of my love of Tales came from the original game, and I understand where people who have only played the Z-man version are coming from. We always played the Quest variant of Tales. Zev told me that when he was doing his survey, prior to starting production of the re-print, exactly zero people had said they played the Quest variant, therefore he took it out of the reprint. So I guess I have a minority experience with Tales.

The Quest variant is a race game with a push your luck element. You have to complete two quests and then return to Baghdad. Your story and destiny points are not a factor in the winning conditions, however advancing these points does give you bonuses, such as gaining new talents. Quests are encounters with specific people. You are given a card depicting that person with a specific paragraph number on it. You have to go to a specific location to meet that person. When you do, you roll against a chart. Roll a 6 and you complete your quest. Roll low, and you not only fail (are given a new quest at different location), but something nasty happens to you. However, there are ways to modify the die roll. Without going into all the details you can make choices that will improve your chances of success, however, these choices will make it take longer to complete a quest, which, since this is a race, becomes the crux of the game.

We have decided to pull out the original game and spend some time this holiday figuring out a way to put the original quests back into the Z-man version.

Until we finish that project, despite the awesomeness of Tales of the Arabian Nights, I will have to vote: Arkham Horror

More
24 Dec 2009 11:40 #51279 by southernman
Uba - would you recommend getting the original TotAN then, it does come up on eBay UK now and then ?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.059 seconds