October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - Arkham Horror VS Tales Arabian Nights

More
24 Dec 2009 12:33 #51280 by metalface13
I am going to be really disappointed if the game that beat Twilight Imperium, Dune and Talisman loses to Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2009 13:14 #51281 by ModelVillain
Arkham Horror

It is the ultimate vintage in the winery of the AT vineyard: Somewhat of an acquired taste, a little rough on the palette at first, but only seems to keep getting better with age.

It's also a game that is very open to extreme rules tinkering, from simple extension mix ratios, to print-and-play systems for new components via stellar apps. like Strange Eons.

I'm a bit surprised how well TotAN is doing, given I haven't seen much other chatter re: it here. I don't normally vote against a game I haven't played through in full, but it would seem that there's simply much more "game" to Arkham, in addition to the interesting narrative aspects of both, so AH takes it.

More
24 Dec 2009 14:00 #51283 by Merkles
I've played both these games (not all Trashdomes that I can say that)....and only with my family (my main gaming group). I've played Arkham Horror three times with my 13 year old son. It was OK...but maybe we were just not into it b/c we were always checking rules. It would be nice to play where someone else was in charge of rules. I SO want to like this game more.

Tales of the Arabian Nights has gone over SO much better...with my kids and myself. It is fun and a blast...even my uber-competitive son loves the game is absolutely fine with the lack of decisions b/c he loves the story.

VOTE: Tales of the Arabian Nights.

More
24 Dec 2009 14:10 #51284 by ChristopherMD
metalface13 wrote:

I am going to be really disappointed if the game that beat Twilight Imperium, Dune and Talisman loses to Tales of the Arabian Nights.

ToTaN is doing well and I haven't tallied yet, but I think it would take a Festivus miracle for it to win.

More
24 Dec 2009 14:19 - 24 Dec 2009 15:05 #51285 by ubarose
Southernman wrote:

Uba - would you recommend getting the original TotAN then, it does come up on eBay UK now and then ?

No. I think that the Z-man version is better in almost every way. He just left out the variants. As I and a few others have mentioned, the variants are really like the "advanced" versions of the game. Z-man enhanced and streamlined the basic game, making it a really good family game.

The merchant variant is up on the Z-man site. We have figured out that if we just copy the quest tables from the original game on to cards we will have what we need to play the Quest "Adventure" game. We'll probably get those done over the holiday vacation, and put them up her on F:AT with our rules when they are done.

I'll also try to put up the interactive rules as they don't seem to be up anywhere (you get to screw people when you land on them).
Last edit: 24 Dec 2009 15:05 by ubarose.

More
24 Dec 2009 15:26 #51286 by moofrank
Vote: Tales

I think it is my favorite game.

AH feels like an amalgamation of so many AT games. It is better than most. It also has its own little foibles that make it feel just wrong to me. I've always gotten this sense that various things in AH could be handled better.

Not so for Tales. The only comparable game that is even close (I have played every paragraph game in existence....except for the one that would require Sandi to dress up as a cabin boy.) The only one that comes close is Star Saga, and that is almost really a computer game.

More
24 Dec 2009 15:55 #51287 by Mr MOTO
I haven't played Arkham Horror but I have played a lot of Call of Cthlulhu by Chaosium and I don't see how a board game can ever come close to some of the true epic tales woven when Jonathan Tweet was our GM.

I have played Tales and every time I have bought it out, it was a smashing success. While I am looking forward to one day playing AH, in this battle I have to go with the awesome I know vs. the awesome I have yet experienced.

Vote: Tales of the Arabian Nights

More
24 Dec 2009 17:10 #51289 by metalface13
Mr MOTO wrote:

I haven't played Arkham Horror but I have played a lot of Call of Cthlulhu by Chaosium and I don't see how a board game can ever come close to some of the true epic tales woven when Jonathan Tweet was our GM.

Look. just because your imagination is lacking doesn't mean Arkham Horror is the inferior game.

More
24 Dec 2009 18:40 #51291 by SleightOfHand12
ubarose wrote:
I'll also try to put up the interactive rules as they don't seem to be up anywhere (you get to screw people when you land on them).[/quote]

They're up on the Z-Man Tales site, actually.

More
24 Dec 2009 19:18 - 24 Dec 2009 19:19 #51292 by ubarose
SleightOfHand12 wrote:

ubarose wrote:
I'll also try to put up the interactive rules as they don't seem to be up anywhere (you get to screw people when you land on them).

They're up on the Z-Man Tales site, actually.

Thanks.
Last edit: 24 Dec 2009 19:19 by ubarose.

More
24 Dec 2009 19:21 #51293 by MattFantastic
ubarose wrote:

]We have figured out that if we just copy the quest tables from the original game on to cards we will have what we need to play the Quest "Adventure" game. We'll probably get those done over the holiday vacation, and put them up her on F:AT with our rules when they are done.

That will be awesome when you do. Thanks in advance.

More
24 Dec 2009 21:20 #51295 by Mr MOTO
metalface13 wrote:

Mr MOTO wrote:

Look. just because your imagination is lacking doesn't mean Arkham Horror is the inferior game.

Heh heh... You don't know the imagination of one Jonathan Tweet very well now, do you?

More
24 Dec 2009 22:27 #51296 by dysjunct
metalface13 wrote:

Mr MOTO wrote:

And here I thought Barney accusing Street Fighter of (compared to Tekken) being a "button masher" would never be outdone.

A board game requires MORE imagination to enjoy than an RPG? Jeesh.

More
24 Dec 2009 23:03 #51297 by maka
One thing I loved about the original (well... I've got the German version with the paste-ups) is that each player can play with different goals. When we play I usually use the merchant variant while my gf plays with the Quest variant and we both had fun and both have managed to win some times, so I'd say it's balanced enough...

That said, my vote for AH stands :)

More
25 Dec 2009 06:23 #51300 by Amontillado
vote Tales of the Arabian Nights

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds