October 09, 2023
2522 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2723 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What POSITIVE CHANGES are you making in your life?

More
19 Mar 2022 13:29 #331749 by Msample
One of the reasons I bought a mtn vs road bike was due to the desire to avoid being collateral damage from an inattentive driver. The peace and quiet of the woods is an added bonus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2022 15:07 #331755 by ChristopherMD
Yeah. I learned long ago that I don't like riding in traffic. Bike riding should be relaxing and fun not stressing me out. Especially outside the city where the assholes driving tanks exist in greater numbers. Bike paths and rail trails for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample

More
19 Mar 2022 17:46 #331757 by Shellhead
I grew up riding a bike everywhere until I went off to college. I walked everywhere on campus, but drove everywhere else. More than a decade after I finished college, a friend was moving away and selling most of his stuff. He sold me a decent bike at a really cheap price, and it had an easily detached front tire that made it easy to store. The next time that I had to get a major car repair, I put the bike in the trunk, took the car in to the mechanic and then rode the bike home. Then I rode the bike back when my car was ready.

I never rode that bike again, and eventually gave it to a friend. The bike was fine, but I found it unbearably stressful riding it on city streets. The passing vehicles either came too close or swerved wide into opposing traffic. And I never really noticed that I lived in a really hilly area until that day. Once in a while, I see someone riding a bike in a park and it seems like a nice thing to do, but not in the street.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
21 Mar 2022 08:51 #331773 by the_jake_1973
Our plans for moving somewhere warmer this year are moving forward. We are making the move to central Florida to both leave the ghastly snow behind and be closer to my wife's dad. Apropos of biking, I'm looking forward to being able to bike year-round rather than being stuck on a trainer for 5 months. Hopefully more opportunities for triathlons that aren't in sub 70 degree water.

More
11 Apr 2022 14:47 #332218 by Legomancer
So it looks like my wife and I are splitting up. We've been in a bad place for a long time and I think we're both just tired. It's fairly amicable, but of course there's a lot of baggage involved.

This I think is actually a positive change. I love her, but we haven't been what the other needs for some time, and I need to go my own way.

I now have to figure out what I want to do with this freedom. I have a lot of friends here and I generally like the area, but I nevertheless want to leave. (The housing market here isn't helping me want to stay; the bubble is in full effect in this area.)

The other place I may go is Champaign, IL. We lived there before moving here. My company is based there, so I'd have health insurance covered. I have friends there and other friends nearby. Cost of living there is dirt cheap (even cheaper than where I am) so I could live like a king. And because my expenses would be low and my job is remote, I could pretty easily fly back here every now and then, stay in an airbnb for a week, and hang with my friends. And houses are reasonable there.

So we'll see. I still have some numbers to run and things to figure out.

More
11 Apr 2022 16:08 #332223 by the_jake_1973
Divorce is a PITA and I am sorry that you two have to go through it. In the end is it better to be happy alone/separate than miserable together.

Best of luck going forward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jpat, SuperflyPete

More
29 Apr 2022 09:32 #332661 by the_jake_1973
We accepted an offer on our house and will be moving to Florida in a couple months. See you later snow!

We are moving to The Villages to be closer to my wife's dad who has had some recent heart issues. The world's biggest subdivision. I might learn to golf. There is a small wargaming community there, so I'll have some gamers nearby. We are some of the youngest there and will be able to usher in the next round of retirees who will likely be RPG players and gamers like us.

Now to find a house down there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, sornars

More
29 Apr 2022 10:11 #332666 by Legomancer
Update: I decided to stay in Western MA. Found a house, put in an offer, it was accepted. I close at the end of June. We are still friendly towards one another so I'm still in "our" house, soon to be her house. I can not wait to move.

I had a great session with my therapist on Weds. I told him I genuinely don't know what I want to work on at this point because I'm discovering that the reason I've felt like shit and it seemed like I had a voice pouring venom in my ear telling me I was worthless is because for at least eight years I've been treated like shit and had an actual voice telling me I was worthless. So I don't have any idea what's legitimately my own deal that I want to work on and what has been the product of living with someone who's been pissed at the world since at least 2014 and been taking it out on me. That actually, weirdly, feels good to learn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD

More
29 Apr 2022 10:20 #332669 by RobertB

the_jake_1973 wrote: We accepted an offer on our house and will be moving to Florida in a couple months. See you later snow!

We are moving to The Villages to be closer to my wife's dad who has had some recent heart issues. The world's biggest subdivision. I might learn to golf. There is a small wargaming community there, so I'll have some gamers nearby. We are some of the youngest there and will be able to usher in the next round of retirees who will likely be RPG players and gamers like us.

Now to find a house down there.

Beware, golf is addictive.

And it looks like there may be some side job opportunities there that might be available now. www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/06/28/d...chop-shop/435205001/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Jackwraith

More
29 Apr 2022 10:23 #332670 by charlest
We need a golf thread. I started playing three years ago and love it. I suck terribly and had a really poor round last weekend, but it is definitely addictive.

More
29 Apr 2022 10:37 #332672 by RobertB
Oh yeah. My wife and I loved golfing. I sucked at it. If I broke 100 I was happy. If I broke 90 (not often) I was ecstatic. I should start playing again.

I've been beat by 12-year-old kids and by an 80-year-old man. The old man had every wood available, a wedge, and a putter. He couldn't hit anything farther than 100 yards, but it was all laser straight, Bogey bogey bogey like a machine. I'd hit a drive 250 yards and end up in the tee box two holes over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
02 May 2022 14:51 #332756 by ubarose
My therapist retired. He is now doing humanitarian work training Ukrainian therapists in EMDR for PTSD via zoom. It’s amazing and a bit surreal. He was expecting to be training maybe like 8 or 10 people, but had over 200 people on his first session. Some logging in from bomb shelters. He’s pretty jazzed to start this new phase of his life, and will also be working with vets and is considering Doctors without Boarders.

So I am super proud of him, but it means I am flying solo. I think this is a positive change. We shall see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, sornars

More
02 May 2022 15:31 #332758 by Shellhead
Since the official end of my very long-term relationship last summer, I have been trying to date. I spent three months dating someone with major issues last fall before ending it. I spent a month dating someone else earlier this year. No serious issues, but no strong interest on either part, so we stopped dating after the fifth date. Now I just got asked out by a woman that I have been talking to online lately. I met all of these women through online dating sites, because we're still in a pandemic so all of the other ways of meeting people are problematic.

For what it's worth, I have seen several dating profiles where the woman listed board games or game night as one of their interests. All the ones that I have contacted have not responded. One other board gamer is interested in me, but I'm not attracted to her.

More
02 May 2022 15:55 #332759 by ChristopherMD

ubarose wrote: is considering Doctors without Boarders.

Freudian slip?

More
02 May 2022 17:59 #332762 by ubarose

ChristopherMD wrote:

ubarose wrote: is considering Doctors without Boarders.

Freudian slip?

Lol. Any word I type on my iPad that starts with “Bo” becomes “Board.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds